Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Post by benzino »

My point is that it's just as easy to make a Opel/Vauxhall engine look like a Daewoo engine as it is to make a Daewoo engine look like an Opel/Vauxhall engine... ;)
As in, you could get a c20xe, paint all the rocker cover and just whack on a daewoo logo.

My engine is a 2.0l from the leganza (C20SED).

The 2.0/2.2 does NOT have VGIS.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Really? None at all have the VGIS? Not even the E-tec versions? Hmmm now im thinking if the VGIS i have would bolt to the 2/2.2L but then those "tuned" lengths and diameters of the pipes would probably be wrong for the larger engines.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

VGIS isn't really necessary in the 2.0 and especially not needed in the 2.2. The VGIS in the smaller engine is to help generate torque by the intake runner lengths where as the 2.2 generates torque by the stroke length. ...which is the better method anyways.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

That would make sense then. Well then i guess given all that info the 2.2L would be best for my application. Externally the 2L i assume is identical to the 2.2L, the only difference being the stroke. Have either of u guys had to move much around under the bonnet to fit the engine in?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

There is a difference between the 2.0 and 2.2 block. The 2.2 block is 10mm taller than the 2.0 so it would require starting with a complete T22 for the project.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Ok so the intake would have to stay with each engine then. The exhaust would have to be custom made to the T22SED with different length pipes on the extractors and diameter to what i have for the 1.6DOHC. Do you guys know if the sump position is the same between the A16DMS and T22SED, i'd have to factor this in when making the exhaust. Also are the oil filters the same for both engines?

Spacially does the extra 10mm cause issues with seating under the bonnet (ie will mods be needed) and finally do u guys who have put bigger engines in Lanos's know if the existing components under the bonnet will need to be moved around to accomodate for the size of the block?

I'll have to look at the differences in the other components under the bonnet and whether they would be able to carry out their function for the 2.2L. Pretty sure things like hte radiator will be efficient enough still.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

We've mentioned the A/C and power steering having to be replaced but that's all I recall from my swap. It does take a custom motor mount bracket but hats all. I do recall having to use a narrower alt belt to clear the frame rail. I'm not sure if anyone else had the same issue. Other than that I can't think of anything

The engine wiring harness required modifying but the 1.6 and 2.0/2.2 use the same electronics son I simply took the engine harness apart, rearranged the connectors to suit the 2.0 and wrapped it back up. I was able to use the Lanos harness on the bigger engine and even the ECU from the bigger motor plugged right in.

There may be some differences between the US and AU model so Benzino may have a different plan in that case.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Well ideally id like a setup where i could just switch between the engines with ease so if i could run the same loom for both engines that would be ideal, If i cannot do this then i guess id have to keep the looms with each respective engine and wire them in every time i do an engine swap. I would like to make the swapping procedure as easy as possible so i can switch between the 1.6L and 2.2L with ease so i can use it them in different events.

Does the 2.2L have sensors that the 1.6L does not that the 1.6L loom would not accomodate for? And also since the 2.2L does not have a VGIS what would i do with the vacuum lines to the VGIS solenoid?

@Benzino our Aussie looms and motors aren't different to the US are they?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'll let Benzino reply to this one incase there is a difference that I don't know about.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

The alt belt will need to be 5 rib instead of 6 to clear the chassis.

The wiring depends on if the engine is OBD2 or ALDL.
The easiest visual way to tell is whether a CAM sensor is present.
If there is a cam sensor, then the engine is OBD2.

The other thing is there are 2 sumps around, I'm not sure on if there are specific engines or years they came out in. One sump has the pickup closest to the crank pulley and has the dipstick in front of the A/C and PAS. The other sump has the pickup closest to the clutch and the dipstick comes up with the front engine breather.

If you are getting Vectra exctractors, you have to make sure the sump is deep on the crank side otherwise they won't fit. You may want to take this into consideration when choosing your engine.

Have you relocated the battery to the boot yet?
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Thanks for the info, its weird after that other guy spam posted i no longer get an email notification when you guys reply.

I havent moved the battery to the boot yet, was considering either doing that or relocating it within the engine bay towards the firewall and behind the front struts for better weight distribution. Hmm ill go down to the wreckers then and have a look at the sump position, I actually would prefer to have the sump closer to the bellhousing as with the 1.6DOHC engine, the vectra extractors i could modified to work around it. I''ll see if i can find the engine at the wreckers and post up a pic.

A quick seach on google however "T22SED Picture" shows the position of the sump is towards the belts and not the gearbox.

As for determining if it is ALDL or OBD2, a quick search online showed OEM replacements for the cam sensor, so i think it might be OBD2. However i could just go down to Bursons and see if the part is in their catalogue. If it is i think im right in saying its OBD2?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

All the USDM models are OBD2, the Australian models came both ways so make sure your searches are specific to Aus.

As for the sump, the T22 came with it to the from and the T20 came with it to the rear. The T22 always came with a structural aluminum sump and the T20 began using an aluminum sump after 2002. At that point it was called U20SE or U20SED
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

The only way to know whether it's obd2 is to physically look at the engine You want to buy...

As I said before, there doesn't seem to be a specific year or model with either sump A or B, and aldl or obd2...

You may find a 01 t22 with sump A and obd2 and assume that all 01 t22's will have that combo and then come across one that's the opposite...
This is just what I seemed to see when I was looking around to buy 2 years ago. Back then I wasn't very knowledgeable about it though. If you are looking, you might find a pattern I wasn't aware of.

Remember you can tell the two major differences just from a picture of the top of the engine; look at the dipstick position and whether there are wires going in between the cam pulleys
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Wow thats interesting I never would have thought that. Well than means what im looking for will be harder to find perhaps.

So dipstick towards the belts means sump towards the belts whereas dipstick towards the gearbox means sump towards the gearbox (similar to Lanos 1.6DOHC)?
Also if there are wires going in between the cam pulleys then it is an OBD2 (same as Lanos 1.6DOHC)?

also gse_turbo i noticed you mentioned U20SED, was there ever a U22SED? How are the cyclinder heads on the T22SED engines compared to the C20XE etc in terms of flow efficieny? I saw on this Forum Post the U20SED was discussed as having a poorly designed cyclinder head and was wondering if this was reflected in the cyclinder head of the T22SED.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I've learnt so much about an engine that i could find very little info on.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

So it seems with the U20SE/D they reversed the intake and exhaust manifolds. (Benzinos post on the forum i linked above)

Benzino you have a C20SED in your Lanos, how does this differ from the T20SED. Just curious now, whether these diferences would be found in the C22SED and T22SED. Is it a difference in cyclinder head design?

Sorry for the question bombardmment, i actually did not think this would become this complicated in selecting the engine itself lol.