Red_LaNOS

Re: Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Post by Red_LaNOS »

5th gear.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

no way! that is ridiculously high for both gearboxes... mine sits at 3150rpm @ 110kph

are you sure your speedo wasn't out to begin with?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

No its correct coz when we changed gearboxes i had to use a speedo correction module and we used 3 GPS's to determine speed. An iphone, a samsung and my TomTom. Previously before the mods my TomTom would agree with the speedo as well, so the original worked as accurately.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

The next step for me is the Link ECU, im trying to find the total cost of dyno testing and the likes. Am also trying to figure out if that Sbd product in the UK for this engine is worth the money, or prehaps just doing the intake and exhaust up properly and getting that link ECU would be cheaper and yield a similar result. The guy i work with seems to think so, ill have to discuss that with him more and post some information about our plans on here.

@PrecisionBoost thanks for the link! That was a real eye opener!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

the link ecu with tuning will work out to be about $2000 installed
(that's for pretty much the cheapest link standalone which retails at just over $1000 by itself)
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Update Time!

Its been a while between posts but basically as of next week i will have the "Link G4 Storm" wired into the loom with a shift light installed, Dyno tuning and a new fuel injection setup installed for $2900. Pretty decent price. A guy in Kempsey will be doing the work for me. I will be giving him my Bosch 044 racing pump just in case the stock pump proves to become a limiting factor during tuning.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.linkecu.com/products/engine- ... s/g4-storm

If all goes to plan I'll be rallying the car on the 30th of September in a Khanacross! Hopefully some pics and video to post!!

Ive decided to take bits and pieces from the SBD 1.6 Taper Kit. Im looking into buying the Crank shaft, Piston heads, Conrods, Throttle body (Quad Throttle Body) as well as the Cylinder head. Just curious on the opinions of people on Quad Throttle bodies and their benefits and performance gains. Any ideas guys?
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Daewoo Lanos 1.6DOHC Link G4 Storm Dyno Results: http://tinypic.com/r/165lc0/6

Stock ECU Peak HP: 80
Link G4 Storm ECU HP: 103.3
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hi guys, im getting ready to build a second engine for the Lanos for competition in 2014. I've decided to go with the 2.2L DOHC Leganza engine (T22SED). I realise there are alot of posts on this and ive spent a good 4hrs reading them all but just for my peace of mind can someone please verify that this engine swap is possible with the 1.6DOHC Lanos engine (A16DMS)? The ECU will not be an issue as i have an aftermarket system in already. My understanding is that in one of the positions where T22SED mounts, in the Lanos there is either an airconditioning component or a power steering component. If this is correct then this MAY not be an issue for me because i intend on removing all the aircon components and switching to electric power steering (so that I can free up as much of the non-driving load on the engine as possible).

The 1.6L engine is currently running with stock internals and stock cylinder head, when i get the 2.2L engine ill still be racing with the 1.6 while the 2.2L is being rebuilt. SBD performace in the UK offers piston heads for the 2L vauxhall engines, all of which have the same bore. I know the 2L and 2.2L Leganza engines share the same bore but have different strokes. So does anyone know if i get piston heads from SBD where would i be able to get the conrods to preserve 2.2L capacity of the engine (i.e without changing its stroke and making it a 2L)

Many thanks in advance!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

you need a modified front engine mount and a way to adjust the alternator tension.

I bought my mount and bracket from Garrett (GSE_turbo).
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Where does the alternator mount exactly? I know i have to increase the size of my alternator so i can run the required headlights for night time special stages, or so ive been told. How did you go about resolving that problem?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

What is the end goal for the motor? And are you looking for more power, torque or RPM?

To put the 2.0 or 2.2 in the Lanos you will loose A/C and power steering. I've been on the street without either of them and I'm enjoying the drive. If power steering is important to you then you can install an electric power steering pump.

The alt is on the opposite side of the P/S pump and is not effected by the swap.

Where are you located? I have a considerable amount of T22 parts that I would love to sell. I have a crank for instance that has a lot of time in modifying and lightening and I would like to find a good home for it. I also have modified con rod with ARPs. I would make a good deal for you on custom pistons if you were interested in the parts I have.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Im located in Brisbane, Australia. And yes i would be interested! For my application id be primarily focussed on Torque but aiming to get about 160/170hp at the wheels. I think this is a realistic figure. I dont want to overtune and stress the engine too much as with rally the engine is kept revving very high throughout the majority of the drive.

Loosing aircon and power steering is fine because i will be going with an electric power steering system. With regards to pistons, what compression would we be talking?

Do you have any experiences with using the T22SED engine yourself? As far as engines go how is it, particularly compared to say a C20XE etc. The restrictions of rally competition mean i can do engines swaps using ONLY Daewoo engines.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Red_LaNOS wrote: The restrictions of rally competition mean i can do engines swaps using ONLY Daewoo engines.
And how many people could tell the difference!! hahaha

You tell me if mine looks like a daewoo engine? :lol: :lol:
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Haha true, what a neat job! Very nice. Though during scrutineering i think they'd probably DQ me for having an engine with the Vauxhall logo on it despite the fact that some Daewoo's did use Opel branded engines. Though you are right, the god thing about working with Daewoo in motorsport is that they are quite unknown so you can make changes and get away with it a little bit.

Benzino is that a C20XE? I noticed you got rid of the VGIS, is it not possible to keep in with the larger engine? I was advised by the guys that did my link ECU that the VGIS intake was quite good and i should keep it. I dont seem to find info on whether a Leganza had VGIS, google images dont seem to show it does.