Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Red_LaNOS

Re: Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hey guys anyone know about Front Strut Bar/Brace options for the Daewoo Lanos 1.6 16V? I know there are products by Intrax, Shark Racing and OMP. I cant seem to find too much out there though i have found this. Anyone got any experiences with these products as to whether they are good or not. The OMP listing on ebay looks a little dodgy to me simply because the mounts over the strut tops dont seem to have the right number of holes.

OMP Front Strut Brace

Shark Racing Front Strut Brace
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

A friend just recently suggested something that i thought id check with you guys. Does anyone know any Holden/Opel/Vauxhall engines that would have a cylinder head of better flow characteristics that would fit the 1.6L Lanos Engine?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Red_LaNOS wrote:Hey guys anyone know about Front Strut Bar/Brace options for the Daewoo Lanos 1.6 16V? I know there are products by Intrax, Shark Racing and OMP. I cant seem to find too much out there though i have found this. Anyone got any experiences with these products as to whether they are good or not. The OMP listing on ebay looks a little dodgy to me simply because the mounts over the strut tops dont seem to have the right number of holes.

OMP Front Strut Brace

Shark Racing Front Strut Brace
I have the sharkracing bar, it's pretty well made and cheap considering postage is included.
Only problem is that it isn't adjustable.

That's the advantage the omp bar has but it's heaps more expensive... so not really justifiable.

IMO go with sharkracing.
Red_LaNOS wrote:A friend just recently suggested something that i thought id check with you guys. Does anyone know any Holden/Opel/Vauxhall engines that would have a cylinder head of better flow characteristics that would fit the 1.6L Lanos Engine?
you would probably be better off port and polishing the daewoo head
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Well thanks for the advice. Why do you say id be better off Porting and Polishing vs sourcing a compatible head with better flow? Ease and cost wise when you consider flow testing and all that is required it seems easier to find a head from a bigger capacity engine that fits the Daewoo?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

sourcing a head may result in a small gain... but it will still be a factory cast head with all the tool marks and casting burrs that come with it.
by port and polishing your existing head, you are saving money by not having to source a different head; and if you sourced a different head you would probably end up P&P anyway... :lol:

I don't know any bigger capacity engines that have a compatible head for the 1.6 anyway...
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hey everyone! The Daewoo Lanos rally car is doing quite well in terms of progress. Here is an update:

Cavalier SRI Gear Box
Quaife ATB Differential
Aluminium Strut Tops
Front Strut Brace
Custom Adjustable Front Struts
3Y Extractors
Roll Cage!! (Car has been stripped of its interior and is having the cage put in as we speak!)

Parts Waiting to go in:
Saab 900s Rear Axle
Rally Valved Bilstein Shocks
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Aluminium Strut Tops and Front Strut Brace
3Y Extractors that are yet to be ceramic coated
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

The aircon has been removed from the car and will not be going back in. The compressor is still present and will eventually be removed as well to reduce the load on the engine and free it up a bit more. Was wondering if anyone knows the belt configuration for the 1.6L and that if the aircon compressor is on a separate belt? I have a feeling it might be, but i could be wrong. Finally since the aircon is out (it was a very big unit and would have gotten in the way of the roll cage). I need to look into ways around getting rid of mist build up on the glass. The rear demister will still be in use, but i am looking into heated windscreens for the Daewoo Lanos. There are none specifically made for the Daewoo Lanos that i am aware of. Does anyone know of whether any Vauxhalls or Opels shared the same windscreens as the Lanos. Am i wrong in thinking that cars that share the same chassis can use each other windscreens?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Unfortunately the windsrceen is unique to each bady even though the chassis are basically the same.

Can the A/C be removed and the heater kept?

Are you planning on keeping power steering? I removed mine a over a year ago along with the A/C and I enjoy it. I have a belt the only runs my alternator.

One thing you may try is washing the inside of the windscreen with foam shaving cream. It will keep fog/mist from building up. You can experiment with washing the bathroom mirror and testing it's clearaty and effectiveness after a shower.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Yes you can keep the heater and remove only the aircon. Unfortunately i cannot do that because the heater and blower are in one massive housing and this would have gotten in the way of where the roll cage extends.

As for the belt setup, yeah i am doing something very similar to you. I will be removing the A/C Compressor and Also the Power Steering. I will however be replacing the power steering with electric power steering. Ideally all that will be belt driven off the engine will be the alternator.

@Gse_Turbo Are you running a Lanos with the 1.6L engine? Do you or does anyone know what belt i need to go to if i remove the Power steering and A/C? I assume the belt length would be wrong unless i were to then use dummy pulleys.

Hmm i'll try your foam shaving cream trick tonight on the bathroom mirror then!
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Just found this! Possibly an answer to my problems:

12V Demister Units

Easy fix at least, i think.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Can anyone verify that the standard air boxes in a 1.5L and 1.6L Lanos are exactly the same? Are there any differences at all?
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I believe all 3 Lanos engine variants share the same air box - using the exact same locating/mounting points and same angle and diameter on pipe connectors.

I used one that came from a 1.6 16v as a replacement on my old 1.3 8v
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Yep you were absolutely right! I ended up using a 1.5L Lanos airbox, absolutely no difference. Is this kind of compatibility the same for the brake booster as well? I know the master cylinders in the 1.6L is 22mm whereas the 1.5L is 20mm. But the brake booster might be same? I cant find part numbers for it at Repco or in the Daewoo Lanos Parts Manual. It is becoming more and more difficult to find the 1.6L's at the wreckers, though 1.5L's are still very common!
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

From what i gather its only the master cylinder that is different between the 1.6L and 1.5L, the brake booster is exactly the same. Manage to find a more complete parts manual for the Lanos. Quite helpful! If anyone wants it let me know.