Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Post by benzino »

No they didn't reverse the intake... That engine is the z22se ecotec.

The c20xe has shallower gas port angles in the head and as such flows better. All the daewoo engines are family 2 c20sel style, which in turn is a x20xev with lower compression... They also have higher angled gas ports.

Take a read of this: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

I believe the first letter of the engine # corresponds to the year of manufacture, the 2nd is the compression ratio, the 3rd means it's an emissions friendly model, and the 4th relates to make designation i.e. D for daewoo. There's a proper breakdown on the net but I'm having trouble finding it on my phone.
Last edited by benzino on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

I see, well then between engine versions there is a difference in cylinder head design i take it. Is the design of the T22SED poor interms of flow efficiency?

Just to clarify again, Dipstick towards either gearbox or belts indicates sump position and wires between cam pulleys tells me its OB2.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

the head was set up with steep gas ports to add low end torque...
If torque is what you are after, then high RPM flow characteristics shouldn't concern you... however if you are looking for high rpm flow then yes, the head is restrictive and the C20XE will be a better option.

Dipstick shows sump position and cam sensor indicates OBD2/3 plug ECM
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Thanks so much for that info! Very useful!

Benzino did your lanos have the 1.5L or the 1.6L engine originally? Coz if you also had the VGIS was wondering what u did with the vacuum lines to the VGIS solenoid? Also i Pm'd you about the rear swaybar.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

1.5... no VGIS

I would suggest if you're swapping around engines a lot, just leave the vac lines in and plug them when you're not using them
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

+1 that's all I did. The VGIS solinoid isnt part of the wiring system directly connected to the engine wiring harness.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I just found something out today that's kind of disappointing. It's always been thought that the X20XEV had a higher performing camshaft than the T20SED, however its not true. They are the exact same cams. I sent two of each to a cam manufacturer to be spec'd out and there is no difference. There is literally no difference between the functional aspects of the two cylinder head assemblies.
...just thought I'd share that since we are comparing the various engines.

I have an idea. I have several cylinder head, some ported some not. I'd like to have them flow tested but I don't have the extra funds to put towards flow bench testing. Think we (any member that wants to chyme in) could/should generate a test fund donation for the greater good?

...if this topic goes off on a tangent ill make a new topic of it.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I wasn't aware there was a rumor that the xev cams were better... I always understood that the big difference came from higher compression pistons and air injection at the exhaust manifold... Really there's only 2kw between the xev and the sed...

I don't know why the u20sed is rated only 89kw on wikipedia? Mistake maybe? But the torque figure is low too.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hey sorry for the late reply, i didnt get a notification email again.

@gse_turbo, ill gladly chip in what i can. PM me with more details?

I did a rally yesterday in the Lanos (still with A16DMS) and i shall be spending most of today cleaning it...lol. I need to go to 15in rims to house the new brakes i intend to put in. That being 280mm VL Turbo Commodore on the front and rear TS Astra brakes on the back. Does anyone here run 15ins with the correct offset and know the correct tyre specs that will not rub on the wheel arch/wheel arch trim?

So when you guys talk about the T20SED having no differences to the X20XEV in terms of cyclinder head and camshaft/lobe design does this also apply to the T22SED seeing its a stroked 2.2L? I assumed that the T20SED and T22SED share cyclinder heads.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'll probably start a new thread as a group buy and collect a list of interested people. I'll make all the updates there for it as well.

You are correct. The T20 and T22 have the same cylinder head, cams and all. Looks like all the N/A family II Iron Ecotec cylinder head assemblies are the same. There are some differences in the egr and water manifolds on the back of the head but the performance related items are the same.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

My tire setup is a little ghetto right now since I have different size tires on front and rear, i got them cheap and i didnt know what size i wanted in the end. They are 15x6.5 factory Saab wheels so the offset is the same as a standard item wheel. My car sits about 1.25" lower than stock...at any rate, I'll post pics tomorrow so you can see the fitment.

I probably would suggest 15x7 with an offset of 40-42 wheel and 205-215/50/15 tire
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Thanks, those pics of your tyres would be very helpful!

On another note since we brought up engine codes and deciphering them, i did find this for the C20LET:

C
Exhaust Emissions Level: ECE R 83 A (like R 15.04)
Engine Capacity - 2.0L
L
Compression Ratio - 8.5 to 9.0
E
Mixture System - Multi-point fuel-injection
T
Induction - Turbocharger

I think that Daewoo engine codes would have a similar breakdown but there might be some differences, i remember finding the engine code meaning for the A16DMS and vaguely remember one of the letters indicating whether it was coupled to a manual or automatic transmission. I'm still on the lookout for a comprehensive database on these engine codes.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

ABBCDE ...have a look at this post.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Wow thanks for that, yeah i read that forum post and checked in the service manual and you're right, i have no idea where i got that transmission idea from...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

benzino wrote:I wasn't aware there was a rumor that the xev cams were better... I always understood that the big difference came from higher compression pistons and air injection at the exhaust manifold... Really there's only 2kw between the xev and the sed...
This is what I've always understood too.

And Garret I think you should make a new post about the flow bench testing.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph