Re: Daewoo Lanos Rally Car

Post by benzino »

That's right, MC is different as well as the proportioning valves
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I have a suggestion, you could use the Saab 900 brake boost and master. It's a direct bolt up. It has only two lines out of the master, one front, one rear. And you could use Wilwood brake bias part no. 260-11179.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

That's not a bad idea, what i ultimately want to do is replace the Lanos rear drums with TS Astra rear discs and the front Lanos brakes with VL Commodore brakes. To do the rear disc conversion a diagonally opposed master cylinder makes it kinda hard to get the bias right. The Lanos master cylinder is 22mm how is the Saab 900 master cylinder. How sure are you that the brake booster is a direct bolt on. This idea could be the solution im chasing.
Last edited by Red_LaNOS on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'm not sure about the piston diameter.

I have the master and booster in hand. I was going to install it in my Lanos when I did my 900/93 front and rear disc conversion. I changed my mind because after doing the install I tested the brakes with the standard Lanos setup and it worked great.
I may eventually do the same thing I suggested to you but as for now there's no need.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Yeah i found the internal bore diameter of the Saab 900s MC, its 22.2mm which is similar or the same as the 1.6L Lanos. But since im switching the front brakes from 256mm Lanos to 280mm VL Commodore brakes, i don't think this will provide enough pressure for the Comy brakes?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

The NG900/93 front brakes are 286mm
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Better still, you could do Saab 93 Viggen brakes which are even larger in the front and vented in the rear. And the stock Viggen rotors are slotted. I think the Viggen uses Saab 95 brake parts.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

That's a good suggestion/point, haha just when i thought i was wrapping my head around how this braking system works.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

So what does the internal diameter of the Brake MC correlate to? I thought that would need to be bigger to run bigger brakes?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

That's a good question. Piston in caliper is the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe the rotors are close to the same size but the piston diameter may be different.

From the pictures I have of my swap, it looks like the Lanos piston is 51.13mm and the Saab NG900 piston is 56.22mm.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Yeah piston caliper makes sense, seeing its a closed system it couldn't really be anything else. What we're trying to achieve is a brake setup where the rear brakes get a little more bias than normal. I think the normal distribution is 70% front 30% rear. I think we're aiming for 60%, 40% respectively to aid in cornering on dirt. The brake setup is actually not my idea its "ant0ny" off the opelaus forums and his idea is tried and trusted in his own rally car so the results are there. I contacted him and i think i understand it now.

Need a bigger MC so that the pedal travel and feel is maintained, also need to have rear discs from a car with a smaller MC than the one we install so that the same pedal pressure causes more braking on the rear than would have on the original setup. That way when u left foot brake you get more bias to the rear than normal and it helps with the turning mid corner. You can fine tune how much pressure goes to the back with a Bias value which can only reduce hydraulic pressure but cannot increase it from what is generated at the MC.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'll call Wilwood today to see if they have a bias the can increase rear braking. It just seems like it would be the simplest solution.

If not, one way you can get around that is larger front calipers. Say you have an NG900/93 brakes and suspension like I do. It's all setup from the manufacturer to be properly biased for the street. But if you add larger front calipers with no additional biasing the percentage of braking will be more to the rear.
I.E. two or four piston calipers up front, standard calipers in the rear.
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

That is true, but then wouldn't you increase pedal travel and feel because the same master cylinder has to compress the brake fluid to move the bigger piston in the larger front caliper?
Red_LaNOS

Post by Red_LaNOS »

Hey guys I'm starting to gather info to move onto doing the internals of the A16DMS engine. I'm breaking up doing the internals into two groups due to financial constraits:

Group 1:
-Pistons
-Conrods
-Crankshaft
-Fly Wheel

Group 2:
-Cylinder Head
-Valves
-Valve Springs
-Throttle Body (Possibly)

The stock compression for the A16DMS is 9.5:1, I'm interested in the pistons shown here: http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Pistons/1_6L_Pis ... istons.htm which are 11.5:1 compression. I realize these are technically for a X16XE engine but i figure since the bore diameter 79mm and stroke length 81.5mm are the same in both engines these would be compatible. I'm curious as to whether with these Omega pistons you could simply use the existing A16DMS conrods and if there is any way of knowing? If not, then would the X16XE conrods be compatible with the A16DMS crank shaft? I realize that the two engines may share the same block and internals dimensions etc but I'm not sure how much they have in common with internal components and whether I can infact use SBD for the conrods and crankshaft. As for the flywheel, will just be machining that to make it a little lighter but not too light. Also if you look at the description of the product in that link it says 79.05mm and 79.5mm I dont understand how that would then fit in either the X16XE or A16DMS engine given their bores? I am going to email them about this but i thought I'd ask on here too.

I read here http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4042 on the post by "mocpac" that the Nubira throttle body is compatible with the Lanos engine. The Nubira being a 2L, is there then any advantage to using the Nubira throttle body. I would have thought it would have been a disadvantage since I don't think the VGIS could be used with the Nubira throttle body. As it seems by way of forum posts, anyone who tries to muck around with how the VGIS works ends up losing power. Anyone got any opinions on this?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

the pistons are bigger so you can machine the cylinder walls true at installation thus removing any high spots or glazing etc.

re. throttle body swap: http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p113512
also, some commodores run the same sensors on their throttles, the VS I think http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMO ... e1a&_uhb=1
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~