Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubaroo
Expert

Re: Help needed - Daewoo Lanos 1.6

Post by Nubaroo »

benzino wrote:Nice!!!!

That is awesome power!
So is this with the 1.6 block bored out to 1.8 or is it a 1.8 block?
Hi bud.

The 1600 block was bored out 20thou oversize and the pistons I got was standard size so I could not use the 1600 block....also the hole in the side of it rendered it FUBAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Corsa 1600 and 1800 blocks are the same bore size 80.5mm - it is only the crankshaft/stroke that makes it 1800cc

So everything works as per the original setup :D
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

I didnt know the 1.8 came on a small block.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

z18xe or x18xe1 are both small blocks.

x18xe and c18sel are big blocks.

z18xe - coilpack on top

x18xe1 - coilpack on side
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

We only have the big block 1.8L here in North America, which came in naturally aspirated and turbo versions.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

a high reving turbo small block should be cool :D
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nice work man!! 260whp+ on the 1.8L sweet. I'm glad someone here on the forums is still pushing the envelope and making progress =)
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Efrain A. wrote:a high reving turbo small block should be cool :D
Define "high Revving" LOL!!!!

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

exist3nce wrote:Nice work man!! 260whp+ on the 1.8L sweet. I'm glad someone here on the forums is still pushing the envelope and making progress =)
Thanks bud - some guys here in South Africa have taken the small block Corsa build to 300+ Wheel Kilowatt :shock: My engine is built to get there if I fit ARP headbolts, but then I will have drivetrain failures etc etc again. So for now 200WKW is enough and I know the drivetrain will hold 8) Awesome everyday driver :D :D :D and I can give MOST of the cars I find on the road a good hiding :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Okay - just paid for a ARP headstud kit from GSE-Turbo! Should be receiving that shortly :D

Also putting the 750cc injectors from my daewoo Nubira into the Corsa - now we will be good for about 250Wheel Kilowatt :D

Will keep you guys posted 8)

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

OK just a quick update.

Fitted the 700CC injectors and redynod the car - at 1 bar boost we experienced some detonation and popped the headgasket in the process. Granted the headgasket is a Cometic one that was used for a second time and I am still running stock headbolts it is understandable that things went wrong :cry:

So I stripped the motor and had a look - because I am running the 1800 bottom end now (without realising it) I actually increased the compression ration to approx. 9.6:1. This is obviously why we picked up the detonation at 1 bar boost where as on the 1600 setup it was not a problem. So now I am having the conrods shortened by 1.5mm to bring the compression ratio back down to a safe 8.4:1 ;)

Should have the car assembled on next weekend. Then to run it in for another 1000KM and wham back on the dyno!

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

What do plan to do in order to shorten the rods by 1.5mm ?

Seems like it would be less hassle to machine the pistons ( either remove crown material or move the wrist pin up towards the crown or a combination of the two )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

PrecisionBoost wrote:What do plan to do in order to shorten the rods by 1.5mm ?

Seems like it would be less hassle to machine the pistons ( either remove crown material or move the wrist pin up towards the crown or a combination of the two )
Hi there.

I would not like to machine the pistons as I am worried to weaken them. Moving the wrist pin up is unfortunately also not an option as the rod/piston clearance on the top of the rod is minimal :(

However - my engineering shop modifies the conrods by machining the bottem big end of the conrod shorter, then rounding the rod hole again. This is the way my Daewoo`s rods were done and it works fine. However the engineering shop managed to make a mistake and stuffed my Corsarods up beyond use :shock: After discussions with them they replaced the conrods with the same forges type that I originally supplied them. But as luck would have it the supplier only had "turbo" rods in stock.....these come from the factory 2mm shorter than the standard rods :D :D :D

So now the motor is assembled and I am busy running it it - I fitted new rings and big end bearings. The original cylinder compression as tested with a compression tester was at 1200KPA ( 9.7:1 CR)with the original lenght rods, but now it is down to 800KPA per cylinder with the shorter rods - 7.9:1 CR :D :D :D Now we can start boosting properly :D

Will have the car re-dynod once it has been run in - I am thinking around 1000KM????.

Pic of CR calculator:

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

So just for the peace of mind, the head studs did finally arrive correct?
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

gse_turbo wrote:So just for the peace of mind, the head studs did finally arrive correct?
Hi Garret. Nope still waiting fir the head studs - I have assembled the car with standard headbolts for now. Gonna just keep the boost under 1 bar till the ARP kit arrives. Posting the studs apparantly takes around 8 weeks for it to arrive here in South Africa....lol Fortunately when the ARP kit arrives I can replace the headbolts one by one without taking the head off or stripping the cams out again :-)

wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Sniff sniff, Miss that turbo motor :(

Sorry to hear about the troubles bud, but you have pushed the envelope further than i was prepared to.

Glad its making lekker power though.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres