is this head grooving mod for real??

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

is this head grooving mod for real??

Post by MMamdouh »

Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Re: is this head grooving mod for real??

Post by MMamdouh »

any ideas??

MMamdouh
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

It looks interesting, I have never heard of that method before.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

gse_turbo did this to his head heres the link http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=105
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

great... now we can have solid feedback from someone we trust and actually did the mod...

MMamdouh
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've actually watched a documentary on this subject and did quite a bit of research... it came up four or five years ago.

For certain applications it does work well but you shouldn't do it on a modern engine.

If you want to do it on an old lawnmower feel free.

The principal was shot down by a pile of engineers... not just one or two but hundreds of people who design engines for a living for big corporations... the kind of people that have millions of dollars worth of specialized software to model internal combustion engine thermodynamic cycles.

From what I gather there were a few independent tests and most of them failed to show anything of interest.

His setup is very unique, he's not really shown any progress on a new "computer designed" combustion chamber.

I think GSE_Turbo is the first person I know of to try some independent testing, hopefully it doesn't ruin his freshly rebuilt engine.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I wish I had more to give you than the "seat of the pants" feedback on this. the motor was very strong and snappy. unfortunately the oil pump gave up, ran dry for some time and gouged the crank and piston rings pretty bad. there were a ton of things done to that motor (by Debo) that could have made it feel different than thet standard T20SED. one thing to note, at the time, the motor was being ran with 8.5:1 pistons and not turbo. that low compression without a turbo should have made the car feel sluggish but it wasn't.

I'm quite sure that the motor is in great condition. what would need to be done is have a stock T20SED have a dyno run, swap the heads and do it again.

what I have been wanting to do is pull the head and see the burn pattern in the combustion chamber. the idea of the grooves is that air in the combustion chamber to the outer edge of the piston is spead up towards the center, directly at the spark plug. the carbon build up should be a realatively good indecation of the effects.

Garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yup read and watched what every I could on the subject, thought it sounded interesting but after talking to some automotive engineering guys on a few "tech" forums they felt there would be marginal gains on newer engines if any and they were concerned about a number of unpredictable issues, even resonance was discussed.

All in all, works great on old engine designs like the ones he tested but I always ask the question.... if he's been trying to get this going for 10 years why hasn't he been able to prove anything with a newer engine?

There are tons of people who have been interested in it, it just seem nothing of promise comes out of it.

Again.... I'm not trying to bash the guy or say this theories are outright wrong.... just that nothing of significance has really been proven thus far.... by now he should have hundreds or thousands of engines worth of data from people just like you, people that are interested in the idea and want to see what happens.

I'm definitely interested in what you find, I just wanted to caution people so they don't run out, pull of their head and start cutting up their head with a dremel tool.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos