Turbo Position

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mcrouchman

Turbo Position

Post by mcrouchman »

Is there any specific way the turbo HAS to be in? Can it be installed vertically with the exhaust port from the Turbine facing down and obviously the compressor side facing up? Does this affect the lubrication? The turbo I bought is brand new, but it is designed for a small 4 cyl. diesel engine. It has a T3 flange I guess...I am limited to cash flow, so I hope this pig works. It is a Schweitzer Turbo (designed for 4 cyl Mack engines and now bought out by BorgWarner). If I can put the turbo in a vertical position, then it would save me about $800.00 in a custom Header and custom fabrication that comes with it. I have no idea how to post pics of it, so maybe some of you veteran members can help?...It is all Cast Iron, so it is heavy as hell, but I was told that it should work. I just don't have the cash for a T40B Turbo that would spool up quicker...
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Look up info about clocking the turbine and compressor housing...basicly the center section can only be mounted with in certain degrees of vertical in order to keep oil flowing through the unit but the housings around the turbine and compressor wheels should be movable.

If you mean having the compressor part actually above the exhaust housing or below it you would most likely keep oil flow from being enough to allow it to stay lubricated.

Jimmy
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

...I kinda figured...the compressor side would be on the top where also, the return for the oil would be closest, as it is closest to the compressor side of the turbo. You're right I guess as the compressor side would lack lubrication. Just hoping I guess...oh well. Know anyone who has a header for the Optra? :)
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

2.0? ask gse turbo in the daft art engineering section or kinkymotorsports.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

mcrouchman wrote: Know anyone who has a header for the Optra? :)
I have both N/A and turbo headers in stock. Email me at Danny@kinkymotorsports.com if you want pics and details!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

Yupper, it is a 2.0...Thanks Kinkyllama, I have emaile dyou the specs of the turbo I have (all that I know of it so far) and I am definately interested in seeing pics and price of some of your headers. The current turbo I have doesn't have an internal wastegate, so I guess I would be looking for a header with wastegate port as well.

Thanks