Primary length/dia on tubular Honda D16 turbo manifold?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Pir0 wrote:Hmm. Nice pics. I'm gonna be doing this from with an RS turbo manifold off a ford. But the pipes cast. Would setting the manifold up against the manifold and welding it be as effective as setting it inside the holes for the exhaust ports on the flange?

Looks good anyway Garrett
not really as effective but it will do the trick, I'm just not a fan of cutting and welding cast manifolds. find out what it will cost you to have that done, I'm sure you could have a tube header for the same price.

Garrett
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I'll just check the exhaust manifold gasket I have for the Evo at home. BTW, if anyone needs a stock cast iron exhaust manifold for an EVO IX, I have one...cheap!

Ok, so a bit of a further question...

What did you use to cut the Tiburon/D16 flange off? Band saw, abrasive cutoff, reciprocating, or something else?

What welder type will you use to weld the new flange on? MIG, TIG, or will old fashioned Arc do the trick? I can get an Arc welder for relatively inexpensive locally, but if TIG is the only way to go, I'll have to give it out to a shop to do it...

Sorry for the thread hijack! Maybe an admin can split the two threads?
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

gse_turbo wrote:
Pir0 wrote:Hmm. Nice pics. I'm gonna be doing this from with an RS turbo manifold off a ford. But the pipes cast. Would setting the manifold up against the manifold and welding it be as effective as setting it inside the holes for the exhaust ports on the flange?

Looks good anyway Garrett
not really as effective but it will do the trick, I'm just not a fan of cutting and welding cast manifolds. find out what it will cost you to have that done, I'm sure you could have a tube header for the same price.

Garrett
Yeah I know it'd be best going for a stainless stup, but i can get the welding done practically for free. A friend of mine welds a bit, mig and arc welding so, it should be fine
SAZ
---------------------
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

gse_turbo wrote:Stef, are you looking to have something to resale and make mutiples of or is this a one of thing? I'm working with another shop to make a header for the 1.6 Chevy Aveo perhaps it's something you can use. take a look at this link and let me know if your 1.6 flange looks like this CLICK HERE. if it's not the same then maybe you can ship me a gasket, I can make the flange and use this 1.6 with the different flange
At the moment it's just a feasibility study for a 250hp turbocharged 1.4L. It doesn't require much bar the usual, for the internal components. It's the intake and exhaust manifolds that are the sticky points.
It's arisen due to increased costs for large capacity (for the UK) engines. There are tax and insurance breaks for small capacity (under 1.5L) engines over here. Also more european carmakers are looking to produce smaller capacity, higher power density engines for reduced fuel consumption and lower emissions. I thought it would be interesting to see if a streetable 250hp can be obtained on pump fuel. If the project costs look reasonable I will do one for my Astra as a demo.

The Vauxhall flanges do look the same as the ones on your site. I’ll keep an eye on the Hyundai one, though it would be more suitable with a T25 flange.

I can help you with your header design if you want, PM me or email if your interested.
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

BosnianLanos wrote:What did you use to cut the Tiburon/D16 flange off? Band saw, abrasive cutoff, reciprocating, or something else?

What welder type will you use to weld the new flange on? MIG, TIG, or will old fashioned Arc do the trick? I can get an Arc welder for relatively inexpensive locally, but if TIG is the only way to go, I'll have to give it out to a shop to do it...
TIG is my welding choice.... as for the cut... ideally something with a small straight cut.... doesn't really matter which method.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos