Nubaroo - time for some upgrades!!!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Nubaroo - time for some upgrades!!!

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I agree that it should help, the factory intake isn't horrible... but it isn't great.

I've been wanting to make an intake for quite a while.... just haven't managed to get the time to put it together.

76mm is rather large...but at the power your making I have to think your factory throttle body and intake are a bottleneck.

Thus far my biggest problem is getting the injector mounts just right.... the cylinder head ports are a bit odd.

I was actually thinking of just cutting of the factory flange, opening up the ports and then attaching my tubes from there... most likely use a high strength high temp Urethane adhesive to join them as I wouldn't want them to come apart under high boost. ( designed so the pipes slip into the flange with a smooth transition )

There are some guys that simply attach intake runners to a factory manifold via silicone tubing.... but I'd like to make the transition seamless and smooth.

One thing to consider is that your tuner should use velocity stack intake runners going into the plenum chamber to help with flow.

Good luck.... can't wait to see what gains you make.....Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Well did the plenum on the daewoo - we just cut the standard manifold and used the flange and about 20mm of the runners. Then we extended these about another 30mm by means of alluminium 40mm piping, and attached these to the big tube. Had to manufacture a new fuel rail, and had to add an external fuel pressure regulator. Took 2 x solid days work to do it but in the end all is well. Throttle response is much better, BUT....we lost around 40NM torque, BUT gained around 15KW power. My tuner says this is because of the shorter runners???? PS - the power curve on the dyno also shows the power coming in later, but tends to stay up for longer. Will post the dyno graphs for comparison ASAP.

OH - I also added a "half" roll cage (weighs 14KG) and propper 5 point seatbelts just for safety sake.

Here are some pics::

What yo guys think?????
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
WOLFMAN AK907

Post by WOLFMAN AK907 »

It's so beautiful... :oops:
Aveo, Kalos, Gentra, G3, Wave, Swift, Barina and Lova owners check out http://www.aveonetwork.com/
Note:Register to view all the forums.^
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

worth 40nm? no way!! lol
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

so you've createda really peaky engine now that has to be revved hard to get it to go anywhere?

i'd rather have the 40nm than 15kw ... no, sorry, i'd rather have both :badgrin:
PS - the power curve on the dyno also shows the power coming in later, but tends to stay up for longer.

this is due to the drop in torque
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I would expect to see a drop in the torque but 15KW is not exactly the gain I expected.

Did your guy simply terminate the tubes at the edge of the plenum..... or do the tubes enter inside the plenum a few centimeters?

Plenum size seems a bit on the large size... which will also shift things up the RPM band.

Torque kills gearboxes.... I personally would take some power at the expense of torque if I were in your shoes right now.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

drivetrain, as far as i was taught, can handle a 20% increase in torque...

unless torque is already past that 20% mark, i wouldnt want a decrease... better to have torque stay the same and increase in power and that would flatten the torque curve, right?
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I would expect to see a drop in the torque but 15KW is not exactly the gain I expected.

Did your guy simply terminate the tubes at the edge of the plenum..... or do the tubes enter inside the plenum a few centimeters?

Plenum size seems a bit on the large size... which will also shift things up the RPM band.

Torque kills gearboxes.... I personally would take some power at the expense of torque if I were in your shoes right now.
I must admit 15KW is also WAY lower than I expected. However the plenum was built because my original throttle body after 350 000KM has seen better days and to get a replacement one here in SA is virtually impossible AND VERY expensive!!

The runners go in to the plenum by +- 15mm and are flared like venturies.

I am happy to lose some torque as you say - a bit less harsh on the F18 gearbox.

I ran the woo at the track today - managed 2 x 12.9 sec runs and 3 x 12.7 secs runs - at least the car is now consistently in the 12`s.

Getting some Hoosier 15" semi slicks in the week to aid traction off the line - the Toyo`s are good, but they cannot handle the 350KW/600NM the woo is making now at 2.4bar boost :D :D :D

Here are some clips of me dishing a hiding to a Cobra V8 (350) and a Ford territory running a BIG turbo AND a very generous shot of NOS :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_JYz8hXws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UETbyHFVmOo

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I have always thought about doing something just like this to the intake manifold. I know that stock long runner manifold is more suited for low and mid range torque rather than top end power. Putting those numbers in perspective to me, a 30ft lbs loss in torque and 20whp increase is perfect trade-off! When making over 400ft lbs torque as you are with FWD, anything to gain a longer less peaky powerband will help you keep traction and have better top end. I am very interested to see your new dyno results :)
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

haha never realised you were running 600nm!!! :badgrin: lol
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

benzino wrote:haha never realised you were running 600nm!!! :badgrin: lol
And that on a normal F18 Opel gearbox wit6h a solid 4 button clutch :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

exist3nce wrote:I have always thought about doing something just like this to the intake manifold. I know that stock long runner manifold is more suited for low and mid range torque rather than top end power. Putting those numbers in perspective to me, a 30ft lbs loss in torque and 20whp increase is perfect trade-off! When making over 400ft lbs torque as you are with FWD, anything to gain a longer less peaky powerband will help you keep traction and have better top end. I am very interested to see your new dyno results :)
Will get the comparison prints and post them ASAP :D

Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

So I popped in to my tuner this morning to get a comparison dyno run. I see the peak torque dropped somewhat but the HP increased nicely - -also the power curve seems much improved on the higher RPM. This is especially helpfull as my rev limiter is on 7000rpm and there is more "usable" power now?? I have asked them to print the results in Wheel Horse power as I know you guys are more familiar with HP :lol: :lol: :lol:

My times on the 400m is still only 12.7 secs, as I need to work on traction on the car.

Precisionboost - can you give ma an indication what I SHOULD be expecting on the 400M with this power, some decent traction and a car that weighs round 1450KG including the driver please???

The workin RPM range on the woo is round 5000 to 7000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNAhjfO7aY

benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

according to the dyno you have an 11sec 1/4 mile lol
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

good to see your peak torque is being held for longer now as well

also, has your tuner done a dyno pull to 7000rpm yet?