Lanos was 1600 Turbo - going 2 litre N/A

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wolfhound
Junior

New pistons arrived

Post by wolfhound »

Hey guys

Been a while BUT my new Wiseco pistons finaaly arrived. 6 months later and at a final total cost that worked out about 6 times more than the std Woo pistons.

I had to go for a 40 thou rebore so its out to 80mm now.

Have arranged to borrow my mates workshop and engine hoist next Monday to whip out the motor to send to the machine shop for the re-bore and the fitting of the pistons.

Unfort the budget wouldn't stretch as far as the H beam rods, but as I only plan on running 0.7bar boost the std rods should be up to it.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

looking good,

why dont u save a little more for the rods?

.7 bar on those pistons and they will be laughing at that boost. (the pistons)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
wolfhound
Junior

The ali sump

Post by wolfhound »

Hi guys.

Well the motor came out yesterday and to my surprise, all the original Woo pistons were still intact. looks like the blow by came from the 1mm ring gap we gave when we built the motor.

Whilst at my mates shop he brought out an alloy sump that came of a 1600 Opel Corsa motor.... for free. anyone used one of these instead of the steel sump ?

I thought it might have better cooling properties compared to the steel sump. so it's getting acid dipped at the machine shop that is fitting the Wisecos to the rods and re-boring the block.

Pics will follow.

S
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Motor being re-built

Post by wolfhound »

Just thought I would let you know that the i started the put the motor back together yesterday.

Block now re-bored 40thou to 80mm. Crank re-ground to 10thou and dynamically ballanced with the flywheel and pullies all attached.

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday getting the ring gaps set up correctly as per the Wiseco specifications.

Also bought a remote oil filter set up so that I can put in the oil cooler. now i just have to find somewhere in that rather busy engine bay to put it all :lol:

Pictures to follow.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

New rims as well

Post by wolfhound »

Who say big rims don't fit

I took my 7x17" TSW Freeze off the Lanos this weekend and fitted a new set of TSW 7x18" Tribes with Pirelli 215/35*18 P Zero Neros.

AND they have the right offset so they won't catch on the fenders or arches the same way the 17's did.

They shouldn't effect the acceleration as the Boost takes care of that :lol:

Pictures to follow

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

I thought I had better stick some pics of the new TSW 18" rims.

They are a littel bit darker than what I am used to, but I may spray them hyper silver.....later.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Oh and the Motor is coming together !

Put the head on on Saturday, unfort i only have access to the workshop on Saturday mornings, so the build has taken a while. the whole front timing assembly is back on, thanks to the info from this site, very usefull.

I have build plent of push rod motors before but these modern 16 valves are another kettle of fish.

Next up is slotting the motor in then off the exhaust shop to get rid of the 50mm stainless system, to be replaced by a 2 box 63mm stainless manfrel bend one.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

BANG

Post by wolfhound »

OK i am soooooo over the whole turbo charged 1600 bit.

Just can't get the headgasket to hold together. Popped on me after just 1900km, motor was just run in and ready to be re-tuned and it melted on me 80km from home.

Found out that Cometic now make a MLS gasket for the 1600, bummer is the cost to get it here. and a new set of rings is over US$300 (Oh and One piston had some pick up on it BUT the machine shop measured it and cleaned out the ring lands and said owing to the fact that it is at the side of the piston i can safetly reuse them again).

In the meantime i found 2 engines locally one is the ecotech 2 litre and the other is badged as an XEV25XE (or domething like that). the guys tells me it is a 2,5 4 cylinder....but that can't be right. perhaps it is a 2.2. And the motor is only US$700. I think the bigger motor is the better option.

ANyway, if anyone is interested in the stainless branch etc, let me know.

Sean - South Africa
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

You musta been over revving the spools outta it for it to blow a gasket that soon.

And the other engine, a 2.5 4 cylinder? Never heard of it. Heard of a 2.4 engine, but that was out of a forklift, never heard of the 2.5 four cylinder. Well, I have, just never seen one.

Sorry to hear about that though... Hope you've more luck next time m8
Last edited by Pir0 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAZ
---------------------
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

NOPE motor has never been above 4500rpm !!!! was running it in and am very careful when running engines in.

a guy in JHB also had the same headgasket hassles on his Woo 1600 engine, but solved it by o rininging the block, app the 1600 gasket battles with anything over 0.45 bar boost, and i am (was) running 0.7. explains the head gasket issues. Motor was great, but need reliablity so the big bore motor ....maybe with a set of Toyota throttle bodies (US$200) might be the plan 8)

Like i said, Cometic NOW make a MLS gasket for the 1600, but it just works out so expensive for us and our African exchange rate.

My aunt and cousin arrive here today from Northern Ireland and they are getting over 15 South African Rands for their 1 Pound... cheap holiday for them, b*ugger for us going back home or trying to import stuff from UK or US

Hey, are they still called Daewoos in Ireland or Chevs ?

Sean
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

hey mate, sorry to hear about the issues. where did you get your prices for the head gaskets? you have a lot of money in the pistons ans manifold I think you would be best off to keep with the 1.6. if you get another motor go with the 2.0 youe will be paying a lot more for parts for the 2.2 and bigger.

well if you do plan on selling the 1.6 than post some prices I might be after those piston and your turbo manifold.

say, did you wite that the rings where 300US or 300Rand? the rings should be about $75US. let me know how much you are willing to spend to get the 1.6 up again and I'll see if I cant help you out.

Garrett
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

They're recently rebadged as Chevs. Only just over 2 years i think. All woos that went for a service got the new badges. Every nexia's still a daewoo though :b

I actually live in the north, Belfast to be specific. Why don't you get them to buy you some turbo parts from here/US and bring them over with them? Would work out a lot cheaper.
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Pir0 wrote: ...Why don't you get them to buy you some turbo parts from here/US and bring them over with them? Would work out a lot cheaper.
+1, gifts! ;)
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

They'd be my most favourtistististist relatives.

And they're irish too. [well i think they are from what you said] Irish is always a plus :D
SAZ
---------------------
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

Hey Garret, thanks for the offer, as far as rings go..... the local importer of the Wiseco pistons charges R(Rands)1380 for a set of rings.
Soooooo I contacted Sue Nash from Wiseco and they quoted $24 per ringset per piston, + postage +- $30...... landed here its about R812 + another 20 % duty = R974 + another 10% government handling charge = R1071.4 + VAT @ 14 % = R1220. The joys of living at the other end of the world.

Cometic US won't reply to my Emails and Cometic UK, although very helpful, have a 6 week lead time on the Gasket and couldn't confirm a price. but i am assuming it would be around R1000 landed here.

The 2 litre or 2.2 if it is that, is complete at R5000, thats with aircon pump, inlet and exhaust manifolds, power steering and alternator. basically they ship these 2nd hand motors in from Japan.

The also had a 2.5 V6.............hmmmmmmm wonder if that would fit in a Lanos :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must admit, i loved the motor when it was running, but it's time i hung up the whole boost bit :D
Am planning on buying a house this year, and that means i have to sell the daily driver..... a 2001 Mk1 1.6i Golf (Mk1 shape Golf/Rabbit still made here) so the Woo will have to come back into service as the daily driver and the 2 litre naturally aspirated route just seams more reliable.......BUT i am gona miss the boost :(

Hey Piro, I was born in NI but have lived in SA since i was 12. My best mate, Stuart McClure, lives in Carrickfergus and i was born in Downpatrick, some 20 miles south of Belfast, fancy meeting a fellow NI man on a Daewoo site :shock:

Sean
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's