ECM Question

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mcrouchman

ECM Question

Post by mcrouchman »

Hey Guys...I am shopping around looking for advice and parts to start my turbo mod on my Optra5...I have found a turbo and after seeing exist3nce's Optra, I have been looking for a piggyback system that would fit well with the project. I haven't had much luck finding a stand-alone system, but have found alot of piggyback systems...but which one? how do I tweak it once it is installed? I have NO clue on that part...give me a box of tools (got them;) and a welder, etc. and I can figure it out...but playing with mixtures and voltages on the ECM, I have no idea...funny, I have been in the IT racket for 8 years now, but I just don't want to mess up the car. SO...where do I start and what do I look for in a piggyback system? :?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I just bought a project car with an eManage blue already in it, I think exist3nce use the same system. I haven't played with it yet or even checked to see if it's fully wired in but I'd say the eManage is one of the best piggypack systems available. it has a ton of plug-ins and a is very upgradeable.

...my vote is for the eManage ;)
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

What kind of knowledge do you need to be able to program it? Are they difficult to wire in or should I take it somewhere? I think I am capable, I just am a little nervous about screwing around with it and not being able to drive my car to work the next day...so-to-speak :? I guess a system would come with some sort of diagram, but I will be leaning on you guys when it comes down to it!!!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

the good thing about a piggyback is that you are using your OE ECM program as a default or base map, a sort of failsafe.

you will get a pin out of the emanage controler but you will ne the pinout for the car it is going into as well. as long as you disconect the battery and take the install slow you will be fine. being in the IT feild I think you will be more that capable of doing the install. really you can install the emanage and not tune it right away and just run the OE map.

Garrett
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

Ok, So after I get this guy installed...I am thinking I am going to put that in first, to try it ou and learn it before I start the turbo project...I am still getting parts for that...will be a bit (financially) before I get everything to start installing. I foind a Greddy Emanage for about $380...I am going to do a little more shopping around for a better price, if there is one, before I go and fork out the bucks for this one. I found it at www.horsepowerfreaks.com. They seem to have alot of stuff there.
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

AEM FIC is the way to go
is the best piggyback in the market right know
built in map sensor
u can control the injectors pulse width (like the emanage) and the map/maf signal (like SAFC)
retard ignition by boost
remap O2 sensors
add wideband for afr metering
data logging
no need to buy extra harnesses
i had one in the turbo Impreza i had
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

What is the average price for the one you mentioned Nubira2.2? Is it going to be the same cost as the other one, once I buy all the harnesses need to make the Emanage do the same job? I found an Emanage Blue from a local guy for $220 bucks and it is still unopened...I'm not sure what harnesses comes with it, but proabably just the basic harness that comes with the base model. The cheapest one I could find new was $380 so far, so the $220 one might be worth it, unless the AEM is cheaper and easier to configure?
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

AEM is not cheap
i got mine for $325 used
brand new they are $464 from AEM u can get them cheaper on other sites
$220 is a good price for a e-Manage
mcrouchman

Post by mcrouchman »

I will shop around for an AEM and see if there is a reasonably priced one...I read a little on them and the only issue is having the knowlege to configure I guess...But that's what manuals are for :D !! I found this document on the net about the difference betweeen the 2: http://www.dezod.com/files/FICvsEMAN.pdf ... It makes sense to use the AEM for the flexibility part of it and how expansive it can be as one package instead of the E-manage, where you have to get all the extra harnesses to get the same features that the AEM offers as one package! What kind of numbers can you get with just the piggyback? If you tune your engine with just the piggyback, is there a noticeable difference in performance before even adding the turbo to your car?
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

mcrouchman wrote:I will shop around for an AEM and see if there is a reasonably priced one...I read a little on them and the only issue is having the knowlege to configure I guess...But that's what manuals are for :D !! I found this document on the net about the difference betweeen the 2: http://www.dezod.com/files/FICvsEMAN.pdf ... It makes sense to use the AEM for the flexibility part of it and how expansive it can be as one package instead of the E-manage, where you have to get all the extra harnesses to get the same features that the AEM offers as one package! What kind of numbers can you get with just the piggyback? If you tune your engine with just the piggyback, is there a noticeable difference in performance before even adding the turbo to your car?
AEM FIC was designed to be used on Turbo cars that weren't factory turbocharged
in a non turbo car u will only control the AFR which is good
but u cant advance the ignition timing
the numbers u can get depends on a lot of things but u can get good numbers