Primary length/dia on tubular Honda D16 turbo manifold?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Stefan
Super

Primary length/dia on tubular Honda D16 turbo manifold?

Post by Stefan »

I wondered if anyone in the US has had or got access to one of these? I would like to know what the primary length and diameter is on the typical tubular manifolds found on ebay. It's just to check it's suitablity for X16XE and X14XE engines.

Thank you for your response.
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I've got a D16 turbo header that I bought to modify for my T20/X20 and the ports where way too close together and their not evenly spaced. the primary tubes are 1.5"/38mm and that was far too small.

...so I decides to try and use it on the A16 16v used here and the same thing, the 1.6 ports are bigger than the 2.0. I'm not entirely sure if the X16 and A16 are related like the T20 and X20 but they should be very close.

about the best header I've found (and intend to use on mine) is from the Hyundia Tiburon, it uses 1.625"/41.25mm primaries and i wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Garrett
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

gse_turbo wrote:about the best header I've found (and intend to use on mine) is from the Hyundia Tiburon, it uses 1.625"/41.25mm primaries and i wouldn't go any smaller than that.
Thanks Garrett. Just to clarify, are you saying it's a better fit for the 2L engine?
It looks like the choices are to perhaps import a Beep Turbo (or similar) manifold from Brazil or design and develop one.
I'll see what I can come up with...
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I HIGHLY suggest not doing it the way he did, sorry Dom.

I personally wouldn't use a D16, B16, B18 or just about any honda manifold for that matter, the tubes are just too small. a D16 would work better on a bone stock 2.0 Ecotec than the 1.6 but I'd still lean to the bigget Tiburon (however it's spelled).

Stef, are you looking to have something to resale and make mutiples of or is this a one of thing? I'm working with another shop to make a header for the 1.6 Chevy Aveo perhaps it's something you can use. take a look at this link and let me know if your 1.6 flange looks like this CLICK HERE. if it's not the same then maybe you can ship me a gasket, I can make the flange and use this 1.6 with the different flange.

Garrett
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

for 2.0 the SR20DETs (RWD) manifolds are used frequently
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I recently bought the A16 flange from you with the hopes of mating it to a Honda manifold for my Lanos? Are you saying the D16 is a poor choice?

Which Tiburon header are you using?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I have this one, CLICK HERE

I can shoot some pics tonight to show the difference in the Tiburon and D16 compared to the A16 flange.

Garrett
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I was going to use an N/A header...should I still go the Tiburon route? My end goal is to run I/H/E, P&P head, performance cams, and nitrous. I've never really thought about going turbo, considering that we max at about 5 PSI on stock internals. I don't have the down time or money to be able to do a full turbo overhaul.

I just want to get back to the 150HP that Lotus had in mind. That should make me a happy camper considering this is my daily driver.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

ya the tiburon header is stil lthe best bet in my opinion.

I started a header for an Aveoclub member but I spent more money on getting half my manderal tubes I needed than they sell complete headers for on ebay.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

My plan is to get a machine shop to cut off the Tiburon flange, straighten out the tube ends, and then TIG weld the A16 flange on.

I'm thinking this will cost around $200 for the labor.

At the cost of $55 for the flange, and $100 for the header, I still come up well shy of the $900 I was quoted to get a custom header made.

Maximus, an old member, noticed a 10 HP bump from headers and 7 from an intake. It makes the trouble worth it, I think.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

What about an Eclipse N/A header? (GS/LS)

It seems to look about right, but the main attractors are the O2 Bung already welded into the upper header (like Lanos), and the fact that the tubes are oval, rather than round. Have you tried, or should I test it out myself?

I have a 4G63 exhaust gasket at home, but I'm unsure if the 4G was also the engine used in the N/A eclipses.

Not to mention that they're cheaper than the Tib headers!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I've seen an N/A eclipes header on a friends car and from what I remeber it hade pretty good potential. other than that I don't reall know what to suggest.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

D16, Tiburon and (US SPEC) Opel Small header comparison

Post by gse_turbo »

here are the pics I promised...

I'll start by showing how the D16 ports are uneven and would present and issue getting the flange to line up.
Image Image Image

now for how the 1.5" D16 primaries are far too small.
Image Image Image

here's the Tiburon header and it's 1.625" primaries
Image Image

here are a couple shots of a section of 1.625" tubing in an A16 flange.
Image Image

the fit's pretty good but could use a small amout of flairing

here is a shot of a 1.75" section of tubing fit to an A16 flange, a bit snug but truly perfect.

this geader flange was desinged after the OE manifold and the ports were increased just enough to use .062" wall tubing.

Garrett
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Hmm. Nice pics. I'm gonna be doing this from with an RS turbo manifold off a ford. But the pipes cast. Would setting the manifold up against the manifold and welding it be as effective as setting it inside the holes for the exhaust ports on the flange?

Looks good anyway Garrett
SAZ
---------------------