How To: Install material on door trims

Here you will find write-ups and other modifications, with pictures and instructions.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

john_trickle
Expert

How To: Install material on door trims

Post by john_trickle »

1) first you need a paint brush,scraper,and sharp stanley knife,and glue and some thinners or turps and a mask as the glue is pretty strong and a cup of coffee.

2)make sure you are working on a clean level surface not your wifes dinning table lol

3)Now your ready for preparation make sure your panels you are working on are clean and free from dirt and grime

4)Now we start with applying the glue to the surface the glue im using is called KWIK GRIP WATER RESITANT CONTACT ADHESIVE now brush the glue on the surface of your panels with even strokes not to much glue in one area even the it out evenely and once thats done let the glue set for 5 mins or so before applying your underlay or material in this case im doing the underlay first if you apply straight away the chances are the glue will seep through the material its better to let is set a little first when it starts getting tacky you know you are ready to apply material

5)Now we start with applying the underlay or material,before you apply the underlay or material make sure you have cut enough material to cover your surface allow i bit more over hang about 20mm over should be fine.

6)Now your ready to apply the underlay or material sit the underlay or material over the top of your surface and neatly apply the underlay onto the surface glide your hands over the material so it sticks to the surface roll it into the edges as shown in the picture make sure theres no air bubbles underneath if you find there is make a small fine cut and glide the air bubbles out,make sure you cut the excess material around the surface away once thats done allow at least 2 hours drying time if its in hot weather if not 24 hours at least.

7)Now your underlay is done to put the material on you will follow steps 2,3,4,5,6 the same way make sure the material your are getting isnt to thin other, wise it will make the job harder to apply and glue coming through the underlay i used is for the floating floorboards comes in a roll Cost is $27.00 1200x 3000mm the glue used is KWIK GRIP WATER RESITANT CONTACT ADHESIVE $17.00 a tin and also buy some thinners or turps to clean your brushes.

8)if you want to practise first just cut a piece of material and some plastic or timber block and practise applying the material to it again please allow the GLUE TO SET FOR 5 MINS FIRST BEFORE APPLYING YOUR MATERIAL THIS WILL STOP THE GLUE COMING THROUGH,Also if you do make a mistake and want to remove the glue use the thinners takes the glue right off and then start again I hope ive covered everything if you have any questions please contact me via email or PM and ill be glad to help GOOD LUCK.

JOHN_TRICKLE :smt115