How to: Install a Tach on a 1.6 DOHC Lanos

Here you will find write-ups and other modifications, with pictures and instructions.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

How to: Install a Tach on a 1.6 DOHC Lanos

Post by MMamdouh »

1. Before you do anything move your tachometer all over, and choose the location you wish to put it, you will want to pick a location easily viewable while driving, but will not block your view of the road or other gauges.

2. Look under the passengers seat. Either move the seat all the way foward OR take the seat off by removing the 4 bolts connecting it to your car floor.

3. Locate the ECM/PCM under the Passenger side seat.

4. Remove the plastic cover from the ECM/PCM

5. Locate the wire plugs, there are three wire bunches going into three connectors that plug into the ECM/PCM unit.

6. From the three wire bunches locate the middle wire bunch this is the bunch you will be working with

7. There will be two rows of wires in that wire bunch, one on top and one on bottom, locate the bottom row as this will be the row you will pull from.

8. Locate the Green wire with the black stripe on it(approximatly 7th from the right) this is the wire you will be working with.

9. connect a parallel splice connector to this wire or if you are brave cut and splice the wire hookup onto this wire.

10. From there simply locate a 12v power source for power, we chose to splice off the radios 12v input, and recommend that you do not do this, overloading that power line too many times caused it to overheat and melt!!!

11. Hookup the ground cable to a proper grounding source of your choice.
12. Hookup the light wire for your tachometers backlight if it has one. you can hook this up to a switch so it lights up with aq flick of a switch, or you could hook it up to turn on with your lights.

13. mount your tachometer in its location and test it out.

(Copied from www.daewootech.net)

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Another illustration with pics

Post by MMamdouh »

daewoomofo wrote:i nor daewootech.com is in no way held responsable for any wrong going that comes from this how to. this will require cutting and spliceing of wires. do so at your own risk!

now that that is out of the way

1. disconnect the battery on the car.

2. remove trip piece from around radio , do so as such as in pic
(be carefull to not lose the metal clips, they tend to fly out if your not carefull)

3. take out screws that hold the radio and the heating can cooling controls out

4. remove dimmer switch pannel, do so as such in pic

5. remove screws that hold big dash trim piece

6. pull the trim piece off. just swing it out of the way when its free from the dash. it will take a litle jiggeling to get it out of there

7. remove the 4 screws that hold the guage cluster in

8. pull the cluster towards you, there are 3 plugs behind it, you have to squeeze your finges behind there to unclip them, then take the cluster out.

9. now for the fun part. i will name the 3 plugs 1, 2, and 3 starting from left to right
in plug 2 you will find a brown wire with a white strip, that is power for the light on your tach
on plug 3 there is a green wire with a black stripe, that goes to the rpm wire on the tach. the black wire is your ground and the pink wire is your key on power

i sugguest useing wire splicers like this as they do not require you to actually cut the wire

10. after you have spiced your wires just run them to where ever you decide to mount the tach, then mount the tach. when you are done just put the trim pieces back on in the reverse order you took them off. and reconnect the battery. enjoy!

im not useing a aftermarket tach, i have a oem lanos cluster with a tach in it. 8) Image
thanks to daewoomofo

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267