Project Polar Express

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

all the power to ya on that custom crank! i started pricing them out and i noticed a patteren right a round $4000-$5000!

do you have rods yet for the 2.2? there is a group buy coming together on migweb.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I am fooling around with some rod ratios and may end up going with something other than the regular 2.2L rods.

I'd really like to stroke it out with a billet copy of the Isuzu 2.4L crank to get a longer burn time under boost, but I have to wonder how badly it will hurt my ability to get it up into the higher RPM levels.

So many choices.... still don't know what to do..... I was quoted $3500 per billet crank if I bought three.... so I'd probably keep two and sell the third one.

Speaking of rods........... my Pauter rods arrived today.... they are awesome.

2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I also have an extreemly low mileage U20SED which was suppose to go into my Optra..... so I may throw the Pauter rods, IASA forged pins, JE forged Pistons into that engine and see what I can get out of the U20SED.

My problem is that I have lots of options and money isn't a big issue so I flip flop back and fourth about where things are going.

I'm still interested in importing a Calibra and I'd love to get an older Opel GT.

As it stands I have three Lemans, one Lanos and a Sunbird GT ..... well..... technically that's just the project cars.... I also have an 83 Chev Pickup, 86 Chev Pickup, 98 Chev Suburban, 07 Mazdaspeed 3 and my wife's 07 Mazda CX7.

At this point I have nearly enough parts for three engines... but I'd like to start getting serious with one of the Lemans (this white one) since I've been screwing around for a couple of years now with various engines and chassis yet the only high performance turbo vehicle I have on the street is my Mazdaspeed 3.

So I figure I will start with my C20GET (which was built professionally) and move forward into 16V engines later on after I decide I want more power.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

sounds like your projects are coming along nicely.

let me know if you decide to keep it at 2.2, we might be able to order at the same time and split the over seas cost.
because of the group buy the cost is around $600US right now.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sounds like a fair price..... I might buy a set of rods just to have a set at that price.... do you know who's going to be making the rods??

One of these days I'd like to get ahold of the specs on the 2.4L SOHC (C24SE) used in the Isuzu DMAX....... Mahle had a piston listing for that SOHC engine as well as a DOHC (X24SE) which shows it being used in an Astra EXP

http://www.mahle.com.br/obj.nsf/A6D71C6 ... solina.pdf

I wonder if it uses the 2.2L block, 2.4L crank and 2.0L rods.

The 2.2L connecting rods were 148.2mm center to center while the 2.0L connecting rods were 143.1mm

So that's a difference of 5.1mm worth of length.

Now.... if the 2.4L has a stroke of 100mm while the 2.2L has a stroke of 94.6mm

So the difference between the top of the 2.4L con rod bearing surface and the 2.2L would be exactly 2.7mm ( 2.7mm higher at TDC and 2.7mm lower at BDC )

Hmmmm..... it appears that there is still too much differenece in teh 2.2L and 2.0L connecting rod to make up for the stroke difference.

I suppose they could make it up in the piston ..... who knows.... perhaps the rods and pistons are also completely different than the 2.0L and 2.2L...... although you would think it would be cheaper to use components allready in use.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

at www.vauxsport.com (now that i think about it, is strange that youre not there) there was some talking about the C24SE and it was said that its OHV so the block is different :S
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

http://www.technical-forum.com/vauxhall ... t3694.html

heres the link, but now i see that the one mentioned was the C24NZ/NE? :?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Autosprint.co.uk is the manufacturer.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

gse_turbo wrote:Autosprint.co.uk is the manufacturer.

garrett
Are they forged or billet?

What type of beam?

Any word on power handling or RPM ???

chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

• billet
• H-Beam
• no word yet, i've read i bunch of post in the UK where people are giving a ton a praise but i have yet to hear back from an email sent yesterday, we'll see.

i'll keep you posted.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

well... Tom and I spend a couple of hours last night pulling the 1.6L and auto tranny out of the Polar Express Lemans.

Managed to crush my wrist removing the engine..... the stupid auto gearbox is incredibly heavy... as soon as we removed the last bolts the entire engine flipped up in the air ( engine went up the tranny dropped down )

It was very unexpected and I'm ok.... punctured/ripped the skin in a couple of places but it's not really bothering me too much (use to smacking/pinching/crushing my hands... so I'm kind of use to it )

So..... on to the weight info.....

Both drive axles = 9.25Kg ( 20.4 lbs )

torque converter = 12kg ( 26.5 lbs )

Entire 1.6L SOHC engine = 103.5kg ( 228lbs )

Automatic 3spd transmission = 70kg ( 154 lbs )

So with the torque converter installed that makes the transmission weigh in at 180.5 lbs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sware its nearly the same size as the auto 3spd in my Chev pickup truck.... it's nearly twice the size of the automatic leganza tranny I have in storage.

At this point the car needs very little work to get it ready for media blasting..... once I get my winter Lanos back on the road I should be able to get the white chassis loaded up and moved to a media/sand blasting place.

After that I will start welding the chassis seams and then throw on a fresh coat of primer.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Project Polar Express

Post by PrecisionBoost »

As an update, the car is completely stripped of everything, the bare chassis is sitting in storage for now as I have too many things on the go to put any further time into this project.

If something happens to my project GSiTurbo then I have a perfect chassis to replace it with.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

did you ever weigh a 2.0l DOHC?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No, but my main 2.0L 16V engine is sitting 15 feet from me here at my shop ( currently here changing tires on my mitsu ) and I have a 2000lb load cell, so I could probably weigh it pretty easily.

I could also weigh my F20 which is sitting next to it.

If I remember to do it next week I will post some results for you.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Thanks! I don't know if you saw my thread asking about weight?
My kerb weight increased 100kg with the 2.0l -a/c + leganza seats
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~