GsiTurbo 2.0L 16V Turbo buildup ***DYNORUN 236WHP 255WTQ***

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: Off a complete dead stop my LSD,equal length drive shafts and complex ECU that limits torque at each wheel based upon a dozen sensor made up for the difference in weight between our two cars.

I was able to keep up and actually had to let off at the top of 2nd gear (since I was behind him )
Hmm.... I have to disagree on that idea Chris..... unfortunately, there is only one way to solve this dillema once and for all, and prove in gentelman's terms which car is faster on a straight line. A race.... :badgrin:
The Jeremy Clarkson way, preferably, being 402m long....say some time on Sunday??

Tom
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I will be at the shop on Saturday to install the rest of those concrete blocks.... I'm sure I could take a little break sometime in the afternoon if your going to be around.

Looser buys apple berry crumble and coffee :) (at least this way I will have an excuse to go to flavors )

There is no way your going to get enough traction to kick my ass until 3rd gear.... it's going to be 10 degrees out tommorow.... your tires will be like giant nylon wheels spinning wildly through the first two gears.... at least I have the factory high performance all season tires on my MS3

I predict that I get at least one car length on you in the first two gears and then you will start to pull up to me as you move from 2nd to 3rd.

After that I don't know.... my MS3 ECU limits the boost to 10psi in 1st and 2nd.... but 3rd,4th,5th,6th are full out at 15psi.... which means I have a decent torque advantage in the last four gears.

I've also been on a MS3 forum filling people in on technical issues ( they are clueless ) and I found out that the ECU controls the waistgate solenoid directly..... and there are certain circumstances where the waistgate solnoid duty cycle drops to 0% (wide open wastegate)

I had let off the throttle to let you pull up beside me after we turned onto 91st .... the ECU immediatly opens the wastegate completely when the TPS is less than 18.75% to get better fuel economy .... so the turbo wasn't spooled up when you pulled up beside me.... the wastegate was completely open until I hammered the throttle closed.... so there was a significant amount of lag.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

And the video from the dyno

Post by kinkyllama »

GsiTurbo wrote:And the video from the dyno
Very nice
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well...... I'm buying coffee and pie

We went onto a shut down track and gave it a go.

First run resulted in me pulling away for the first 60 ft then roughly even to near the end of the 1/4 mile (guessing roughly 85% of the way.... had to stop... no more light )

Tom apparently was hesitant with the GSi.... he figures he didn't put it to the floor.... and I actually partially mis-shifed third....so he must not have been giving it all she's got.

We went to line up again and Tom smelled fuel..... so we shut things down and tightened the fuel inlet hose a little tighter ( luckily we had some tools )

So after a brief "repair" we lined up again and things went pretty much as I predicted.

I killed the GSi off the start and pulled out a good 1.5 car lengths as we pushed into 3rd gear. (roughly 120 km/h / 75MPH )

As soon as we both shifted into 4th gear he pulled up and blew past me like I was standing still..... I'd say he covered 3.5 car lengths in about a second and a half.

Then we both had to break hard as we neared the end of the 1/4 mile ( to be safe since we couldn't see what was ahead... )

If I was going to guess.... I'd say I would run a 14 second quarter mile at 100mph and Tom would be in around 13.7 seconds but his trap speed would be significantly higher than mine.

We also weighed the cars before the race at a nearby public scale.....

Tom's GSi turbo was 1080kg ( 2381lbs) without him inside and 1170kg ( 2580lbs ) with him inside

My Mazdaspeed 3 was 1430kg ( 3153lbs ) without me inside and 1540kg ( 3396lbs) with me inside (yes.... I'm a fat bastard)

So.... during the race Tom had a weight advantage of 816 lbs !!!!!!

As a side note it's freakin cold here .... temperature tonight is just 7 deg Celcius ( 45 deg F )..... and I have the advantage of using a high performance all season (which is better in cold ) versus the high performance summer tires on the GSi.

If it was mid summer I'm sure he'd get more traction off the start and the difference in the 1/4 mile would be significantly more.

Well... I have to say that I'm glad I bugged Tom until he got the car tuned on the dyno and then nudged him for a race.... well worth the coffee and pie :)
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Yes, that was one good night. The acceleration characteristics of the GSI are quite interesting. The powerband does not start till about 3700 rpm. First gear is good, very good actually. With the E-01 set to limit the boost to 4psi till 55km/h (34mph) no problems with the spin. The 2nd gear, now with boost, is a joke. Nearly no traction at all, just revs the engine up pretty much instantly. 3rd gear, traction only from 5500rpm up, again brakes loose right after shift. 4th gear is another story... tires finally regain traction, and the car literally starts flying forward. This is the moment, what Chris describes: "As soon as we both shifted into 4th gear he pulled up and blew past me like I was standing still..... I'd say he covered 3.5 car lengths in about a second and a half. "

To fix traction:
- needs at least equal length axles
- limited diff, like Quife
- ideally, fit F28 with LSD and equal axles

Mazdaspeed 3, at this moment is much more 'Streetable car' due to non-existing turbo lag. From 0-60 acceleration, GSI would absolutely stay behind. On a long sprint, however, stock Mazdaspeed 3 does not stand a chance.
Also, without front suspension adjustments due to heavy now front, on a twisty roads Mazdaspeed 3 will have definitive edge.
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well...... the car has been sold.... Tom has two boats that he's negotiating on right now and he needed the money for the down payment.

Before you get too disappointed I should tell you that I bought it from Tom.

I couldn't stand the idea of seeing a car like that in the hands of a young kid who will just drive the crap out of it until something pops.

The car is aggressive and hard to drive.... odds are someone unexperienced would get into an accident within a year or two and write the car off.

I was going to build up a high power 2.2L engine but Tom has done a great job on this 2.0L and it's warranteed for 600whp so I figured it would serve the purpose that I want it for.

I do have a nicely prepared F28 sitting around in my shop so I think I will have to talk Tom into helping me to convert the GSi into a 6spd.

Realisticly at the power he's at right now the tranny is probably not too far off from it's limit (since it's a completely stock F20 with a fair number of miles on it )

My F28 was rebuilt and prepared for rally racing..... so it should be more than up to the task of handling 350whp or more.

I think I will pick up the Quaife LSD and I allready have a set of drag slicks.... so I'm hoping to get the car into the 12's next year.

I will most likely look at adding another set of injectors to help with fueling and or methanol injection.

The primary use for the car will be for show as well as basic autocross and drag racing.....basicly an all around performer.

I think I will be upgrading the suspension and perhaps the brakes.... other than that not a whole lot will change.

I've allready removed the "whale tail / Cosworth" spoiler as I perfer it without ( if anyone is interested in the spoiler contact Tom/GsiTurbo )

I still have a number of projects on the go but this will be my primary project car from this point forwards.

The Polar Express will still get stripped down and set up for purely track racing ( we will have a new 2mile course next year)

I've decided that I want to make a mid engine chassis for drifting.... I'm thinking a 2.0L or 1.6L turbo in my red chassis (the one that had the smashed up front end)

I was allways worried about putting power through the repaired front end.... but if I convert to mid engine/ rear wheel I won't have to worry about the strength of the front end.

If I happen to screw up the red chassis to an unuseable state then so be it..... at least it will be fun to try and make it work.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote: I've decided that I want to make a mid engine chassis for drifting.... I'm thinking a 2.0L or 1.6L turbo in my red chassis (the one that had the smashed up front end)

I was allways worried about putting power through the repaired front end.... but if I convert to mid engine/ rear wheel I won't have to worry about the strength of the front end.

If I happen to screw up the red chassis to an unuseable state then so be it..... at least it will be fun to try and make it work.
well atleast it's i nthe proper hands...

about the D1 lemans... why not buy a C20XE with RWD tranny from opelgtsource.com ($4000 complete w/ wires and ECU) and use a proper diff? you'd get better weight balance (to the front) and you wont have near the work in converting to mid engine.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This link is probably not the best place to get into this discussion about the red chassis..... I will post some info in the "precision boost projects" and we can continue the discussion there.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Congrats Chris on a very interesting purchase hehe . I'll be excited to see how it progresses.

And to Tom: Hope you enjoy your new hobbies and thanks for selling it to someone who knows what they're doing :)
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Yes, its all true, no April Fools :) The car has been sold to Chris. To take full advantage of the power that is in reserve right now, better gearbox is required (Getrag F28)... and Chris does happen to have one. Overall, I am glad the car is in good hands and that I will still be around to work on it here and there, and see the project to be taken to the next level of existence... the 2nd Renaissance :)
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well..... I'm home from the drag races..... didn't go so well.... only did one run.

The run was a pathetic 16.8s 1/4 mile.... there was something seriously wrong with the car.... It was running really really decent a day or two ago but just as I'm coming up to the start line the damn engine cut out and it took me about 15 seconds just to get it started again

Then it took off decent but quickly bogged down....at first I thought it was just tire spin..... then I thought the clutch was slipping (which should be impossible with the current setup)

Hard to explain but something really weird was going on and I'm not sure how to explain it.

Got it back to the pit and the filter on the oil catch tank was sending out what smelled like fuel..... yet the oil itself didn't smell of fuel.

A quick check on my diagnostic tool showed a misfire on cylinder 3 so we shut her down and tried to figure out what was going on.

We ran out to a local supplier to get some new spark plugs and when we got back we took out the old plugs

They were completely black ( very heavily fouled ).... probably the worst I've seen in a while.... I guess that is why I stalled it coming up to the line.

As well Tom noticed that the camshaft sensor had come off somehow.... so perhaps the engine was in some kind of strange mode as I went down the track.

We threw in the new plugs and it still ran like crap and we still had the smell of gas coming from the cap... and I still was registering misfires.

So we packed it in with just one run :(

At least a 16.8 should be really easy to beat once the car is back on the road with the new upgrades :)

On the trip home ( which is about 40km) I still had the odd misfire but by the time I got half way the car started to run nice again and was boosting well without misfire codes.

Tom also thinks there is some blue smoke coming out with the black (under boost it's rich... so that is normal )

So.... perhaps we may have a problem with the oil seal on the turbo or something..... hard to say at this point... it may take some time to figure it out.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well it's been a busy summer and not much was done to the GSI due to lack of insurance.

I finally managed to get a full appraisal on the car and specialized "modified street car" insurance ( thanks to the fact that it's over 15yrs old )

So I've had it out a few times, blew the silicone piping off the turbo a couple of times so I manufactured a stainless ring which I then epoxied over the turbo nozzle (which didn't have a little hump like most compressor outlets )

I also welded on a little piece of 2.5" pipe on one of the intercooler pipes to allow it to clear the oil drain line (which was slowly rubbing it's way through one of the 90 deg bends )

Overall it's running really nicely..... 10psi at lower RPM and 11psi at higher RPM with A/F around 11.5:1

It's still a little too rich but it's nice and safe for the moment.

Compression tests were good, spark plugs are good..... everything has been sorted out since the Drag run in May.

Allready started on the 8 injector intake manifold and a number of parts have been ordered for future installation.

I'm looking to add my programmable MSD ignition, methanol/water injection, new intake and exhaust manifolds, new turbo (most likely a GT3071R)

Also slated for installation is the F28 6spd with a LSD.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
greenbluewoo
Expert

Re: GsiTurbo 2.0L 16V Turbo buildup ***DYNORUN 236WHP 255WTQ***

Post by greenbluewoo »

any updates on this 8)
2.0 engine swap in the works
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: GsiTurbo 2.0L 16V Turbo buildup ***DYNORUN 236WHP 255WTQ***

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... finally the car has a new suspension up front.

The lowering springs had lost some of their height and strength resulting in a very rough hard to handle ride.

So... I pulled the Lanos lowering springs from one of my other cars, replaced the strut inserts with some new KYB GR2

Tom helped quite a bit, I started to get some major pains in my right knee after about 4 hours so he stepped in to finish off the suspension.

The result was a dramatic increase in ride height ( perhaps a bit too high ) and a nice smooth yet sporty feel to the suspension.

For some odd reason the car has gone from running 12:1 down to 8:1 for no particular reason known to me.... which means it stalls coming up to lights if I stop quickly..... and it's drowning in fuel under heavy load while missing.

Long story short I hate the setup of the engine management system ( stock Leganza ECU + Greddy Emanage Blue )

At this point the wideband O2 has been re-calibrated but I don't trust it 100%

So.... I think I'm going to give this current setup one last shot by taking it to the dyno with wideband so that I can see how it spools up with the new GT3071R turbo.... and I'd like to bump the boost up a bit to 15psi.

I've ordered a Quaife ATB differential for my F28, hopefully I will see it by the end of the month.

At this point I'm seriously contemplating the idea of picking up a megasquirt and designing a plug and play harness for the factory harness.

That is to say I'm not very confident that I will be able to make the current engine management work well enough to boost past 15psi.

I'm also going to hack the throttle position sensor to force a different "closed throttle" voltage.

That is to say I'm going to make the ECU think I'm giving it about 5% throttle even when I let go of the accelerator.... this should help out with some issues with let off during gear change ( where the factory ECU stops sending fuel )

Project super swift ( 2.0L 8V turbo C20GET engine in an Aveo ) is running very very well with a megasquirt setup.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos