2.0L 8V turbo C20GET Lemans

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No the Passport Optima GSi came with a standard Naturally aspirated 2.0L 8V engine. ( think it was a C20LZ )

The Standard Pontiac Lemans only came with the 1.6L 8V

The donor engines came from Sunbird GT Turbos.

Lots of guys end up using a Fiero throttle body.... and yes the relocation is definitly a good idea for those wanting to run decent power into their C20GET
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Mr_Efficiency

Post by Mr_Efficiency »

yeah i didnt think they came like that factory, i know were there is one sitting for sale cheap and I know were i can get a complete 87 sunbird GT, i'm tempted to pick them up but i have enough projects as it is, lol maybe i can talk my brother into it and then i can build it for him and work on it without actually having a third car, lol just be something fun to play with.

anyways, back on topic, when do you think you will be done and get it on the dyno?
Mr. Efficiency

-91 Pontiac Grand Am SE (stock car) - 2.3 Quad 4 HO
-90 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP clone in progress - 3.1MPFI / Future holds: 3100 turbo, 5 speed
-And a pile of parts in the corner that will someday become a 2.0 DOHC turbo GASE
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It's an ongoing thing..... it was allready dynoed once when stock.... I don't have any particular timeframe for when it will be finished
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

PrecisionBoost wrote:
The last picture is of a mold I'm making..... I took a lemans fender and added a wheel flare from a Sunbird GT turbo car.

I coated it with six applications of wax and then sprayed it with a release agent.... then I covered the entire thing in 60 Durometer Urethane (from my local fiberglass supply store )

The knobs sticking out are actually screws underneath embedded into the Urethane.... the next step is for me to apply several layers of fibreglass to make the mold rigid (using the screws to help tighten the Urethane mold to the fibreglass structural mold.

are you planning on re producing these? if so i'd buy a set.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes, I could probably make you a set..... but it might be a while before I get them done due to all the projects I'm working on.

Basicly what I did was take the fender flares off the old 87 Sunbird GT I had out back (donor of one of my C20GET motors) and then I modified them to fit a spare lemans fender.

The plan is to make a fender from this mold.... smooth out the flare transition (currently there is a small gap) and once it looks good I will make another mold of the fender.

I'm also going to be making additions to the rear fenders.... I want round fenders and significantly larger tires.... which is the reason for the flares in the first place.

Hopefully I will have a complete set by the end of summer.... I have a kid on the way (due next month) so I would imagine that my time to work on automotive projects will be limited.

I will keep you informed on my progress..... chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks for getting back. i was getting started on a set and remembered you having made a set. i would need just the front and if it's any difference, when you're laying it out you don't need to focus on the flair to much. i have a set of flairs i plan to incorperate.

if you could give me an idea on price then i'll start saving for that.

thanks,

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... as an update... my Optra5 is gone... I bought a Mazdaspeed 3 as my daily driver.

My silver Lanos is most likely going to be sold to GsiTurbo very soon and I've decided not to modify my Red Lanos for now.

The Red Lanos will be my "winter car" for now.

I do however plan to get GsiTurbo's "daily driver" which is a nice clean Lemans chassis.

The plan is to strip it right down (sandblasted), seam weld the car, install a full roll cage and add a tubular subchassis to the front end.

The car will be completely done from the bottom up with the intention of dropping in the F28 (SBD) with my current C20GET from my red GSi chassis.

With the structural repair I did to the red chassis I'm worried that 300whp will simply crumple the main supports and break my welds.

With a brand new chassis that has never been in an accident I should be able to make it nice and strong.

End goal is to eventually drop in 800whp into the Lemans.... which will be somewhat useless since I won't be able to use that much power in FWD mode.... but at least I will be able to say I have one.

Then down the road I will probably end up modifying a Lanos in similar fashion with full roll cage.... I'm tempted to convert to RWD as I still don't think I will be able to get a FWD tranny that is capable of handling 800whp
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Why dont you do a SFWD (NHRA) style Lemans?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Efrain A. wrote:Why dont you do a SFWD (NHRA) style Lemans?
I'm not sure what you mean by SFWD (NHRA)

I will be adhering to NHRA guidelines for the build up of the safety system (roll cage) as I would like to break into the mid to high 10's with this car if all goes well.

Basicly it all comes down to insurance.

I can get a 15yr old "project" car insured very cheap (about $300 a year ) and I can modify the crap out of it and still drive it around the city.

On the other hand my Lanos is only five years old so it doesn't qualify for this special insurance.

As well, if I modify my Lanos my current insurance company will simply void all my policies and probably keep the money.

So.... the Lemans needs to be a heavily modified "street car"

Later on I will probably go crazy with a Lanos and turn it into a track only car.... where I would hope to push into the high nines with 800whp
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Super Front Wheel Drive is a class if the NHRA.

i would consider using the SCCA guidelines for the cage. the SCCA is more strict then the NHRA and the SCCA cage is legal in the NHRA.

garrett
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:roll: I'm a dummy.... ya.... wasn't thinking about the class.

Thanks for the suggestion about the SCCA cage, I only read into the NHRA guidelines (which are pretty strict for 10 second cars ) where you have to document the entire build up of the cage to specific standards.

Honestly.... I have no time these days so I won't be doing the work myself.... most of the work on the Lemans will be subcontracted to suitable shops.

I will strip it down myself and probably do most of the seam welding myself but once that's done I will be dropping it off to get the entire body sandblasted.

Odds are I will also get someone to clean up the rust spots and do some body modifications for me.... then splash it with primer.

At that point I will probably send it out for the cage work and final fabrication work in the engine bay.

Once that's done I will paint it..... I'm thinking of a nice white with pearl (haven't decided on the pearl color yet )

I may also get the rear suspension changed over so that it's an independant suspension... and odds are the spare hole will go away so that I can fit a fuel cell.

Hopefully this will go along quickly so that I can have it on the street next spring completely finished in perfect working order.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

SFWD stands for Sport Front wheel drive

is street legal FWD cars on slicks. of course under the NHRA rules.

TBH if you want to set a real example of a fast/powerfull GMDAT thats the best way to do it.

going Unibody an running in the hot rod class is another option but that way you cant use the car on a weekend.

the lemans is the way to go with that insurance thing.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

and by the way... the sfwd guys on the top are running low 10s high 9s.

insane really

heres a video from the central florida turbo guys

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpiGS15DHKg

street stock is similar to the sfwd class but NA and BFs
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Sounds like interesting projects.

Why even bother telling insurance about mods? Get third party insurance only (covers liability + only the other person in an accident), then insurance won't be looking at your car if u get in an accident.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:Sounds like interesting projects.

Why even bother telling insurance about mods? Get third party insurance only (covers liability + only the other person in an accident), then insurance won't be looking at your car if u get in an accident.
Well.... I'm sure this works fine for you... perhaps you don't have much to worry about if someone sues you.... but for me it's very important as I'm well into the multimillion dollar asset value.

So if I modify my car and kill someone the other insurance company will bleed me and my manufacturing company dry.

Basicly I need to protect myself and make sure my insurance will cover my ass under any and all circumstances.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos