2.0L 8V turbo C20GET Lemans

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Stefan - PM sent.

Chris - Do you have any experience with MatLab? The reason I ask is that if you are gung-ho about writing your own ecu coding, V4S and MatLab can generate it for you with only you doing the mathematics and syntax. MatLab has a add-on called Simulink that is a cross between a mind-map software and a high powered calculator.

For example...

Here we see the model format with the engine and transmission, as well as sensors, and they link to a control circuit design, and thus the code is generated based on the mathematical sequences to provide the appropriate shifting (i.e. speed, engine rpm, etc).

I can be contracted for such work ya know ;)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Audacity Racing wrote:Chris - Do you have any experience with MatLab?
Yes... I took Matlab stuff in school.... I still have the text and software.... but I barely remember anything.

I didn't know that you could model the engine like that... too bad I don't have more time on my hands... there are lots of interesting solutions
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Stefan wrote:Chris,
Nice to see the car coming along. You and Tom will have two of the best Lemans across the "pond".
With the big turbo your fitting what are you doing intake wise? I couldn't carry on with the stock TB location on mine - I junked the stock GEt fuel rail too. Now using the 2L 16v TB (off a UK Ecotec - 57mm butterfly) and a XE/LET aluminium fuel rail.
Yes... I have been thinking about it.... I was considering the idea of using the Naturally aspirated 8V MPFI intake and modifying it to accept a significantly larger throttle body.

I also have other ideas but I think this one is the "quickest" route to getting car going.

I'd really like to manufacture a new intake system using Quad drive by wire throttlebodies.

I would also keep the mount for the original throttle body exactly where it is and use the stock throttle position sensor to feed data to the drive by wire throttlebodies.

Basicly..... the quad throttle bodies would be set up in a feedback loop such that each one exactly mirrors the position of the original throttlebody.

It would be a fairly simple piece of electronics.... it's just a matter of making a simple voltage conversion or a map may be required if the TPS signals are non linear.

The only thing I don't know is whether the stock throttle body will feel the same with no air running through it .... I'm hoping that most of the feel comes from the return springs and not the force of the air on the butterfly.

One other posibility is to design a barrel style throttle body like they use in formula cars.... but I don't know if I will get into that kind of hardcore fabricating quite yet.... the stock throttle cable location is perfect for a barrel type since it's well off to the side of the intake (unlike some of the other designs where the throttlebody is centered on the top of the intake)

I am definitly going to use one of the uprated Astra VXR fuel rails (and injectors) on my C20GET.

I'm also contemplating the idea of a dual fuel system..... regular 91 octane from the fuel tank feeding one set of injectors and race gas, tolulene or ethanol feeding a second set of injectors.

This way I can bring up the octane levels on demand as boost rises..... then I can make serious power on the track when I want to and still get reasonably decent economy on the 91 Octane when cruizing around town.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

a dual fuel system? why dont you just mix it with toluene?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't want full boost all the time..... I still want to be able to cruize around and take the car on long road trips.

If I simply design it to use Tolulene all the time then I will be screwed once I use up the first tank of gasoline on a trip.

As an example.... going to Montana.... that will cost me at least three or four tanks on the way down if I'm driving aggressive.... and Tolulene is not the easiest thing to come by in small towns.

If I have a secondary fuel cell with it's own supply of fuel I can use it like nitrous.... it would only kick in when the boost controller allows a quick "overboost" period.

So one tank of secondary fuel can last me the entire trip.

I'm actually leaning towards E85 which is readily available in the USA.... not so much here right now....but soon they should have it available soon I hope.

E85 will decrease the likelyhood of detonation dramaticly .... sure it doesn't have the same output per litre that race gas does.... but it should allow me to run at higher boost levels using 91 Octane/E85 without problems.

I would cut out where the stock spare tire sits, weld in a flat piece of sheet metal and install the other fuel cell underneath the car behind the rear axle.... it would have it's own E85 approved fuel pump, lines,regulator and E85 safe injectors.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

So...... here is the general paint scheme I'm going for.... sort of a Burgundy/candy apple red

This is stolen off a nice looking Corsa... just couldn't help it... it's exactly the color I was looking for..

And here is the red kevlar/carbon fibre hood I'm having custom made as we speak ( this one is from a prelude )

I still haven't figured out what to do about a body kit.... shipping from UK/Europe is very expensive for such a large item.

I found one kit I love but when I go to the company website it seems that the link is no good :?
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

how yo modify a c/f hood?
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm not having the Prelude hood modified.... I've paid a fair chunk of change for a company to get a Lemans hood, modify it and make a mold of it.

Then the company will make me a red kevlar/carbon fiber hood with this new mold.

It's very expensive to have one made this way.... but I love the look of it.

Let's just say that I paid more for the hood than I paid for the entire car :shock:
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... I'm the new owner of an F28 6speed gearbox with 41K miles which was recently modified/reconditioned by SBD (changed to 2WD ) :badgrin:

Hopefully it will be here next week..... it cost a bloody arm and an leg to get it from the UK.... shipping was nearly the same price as the gearbox!!!!

Should be worth every penny..... next project is to find a clutch and a Quaife LSD for the beast. :shock:
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Deathwind
Junior

Hey chris

Post by Deathwind »

I myself own the Lemans racer GSi.

So I'm interested with the carbon hood.

How much would it be if I want to buy it without shipping?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't really know the cost yet..... I basicly wrote a cheque to get the mold started.

I suppose the cost would be based upon the material of choice..... I'm going for a Kevlar/Carbon hybrid hood.... so that's the most expensive option.

If you wanted it made from fibreglass with just a top coat of carbon fibre it would be cheaper than the hood I'm having made.

Basicly I have a deal with the company that I pay for the molds.... and as they sell hoods to people they repay me.

There aren't a whole pile of people out there looking for hoods..... so I don't know if I will get my mold money back.

Once the first hood is made.... I will get some pics from the company.... and perhaps at that time they will have a better idea on the total cost of the production hoods.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

:shock: you and tom are going to give me a heart attack!

steveboyslim from migweb gets good prices for quaifes, he also does lots of parts.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just think..... when you get up here you will have two fun Astra's to testdrive.

I'm pushing my car towards track based performance..... lots of torque.... F28 with Quaife LSD.... perhaps some custom drive shafts..... Willwood front brakes.... rear disks.

I'm still trying to find a nice suspension..... looks like the FK coilovers might be the best ones at the moment.... but I'm trying to see if I can convert the fronts over to a regular setup like the Optra/Forenza/Nubira
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Deathwind
Junior

Hey

Post by Deathwind »

If you are willing to set up the non coilvoer, APEX suspension system or Bilstein with Eibach would be nice.

Or if you are thinking about the track, people here use the TRD short strock shock abosrber or QUEST(the company in S.Korea) for the Lanos.

And as you know Lanos is almost same with Lemans.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

you know i wanna go up there

TBH, i see lots of cars with bilstein adjustable shocks and custom front coilovers.

theres a kit for a conversion for the mk2.