2.0L 8V turbo C20GET Lemans

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The SAFC is a good tool for fine tuning small corrections in Air/Fuel ratio.... it's definitly not going to help you if there is a need for major changes in the A/F ratio.

There is an editor for the C20GET ECU..... I even have an EPROM burner.... but I just don't have the time to go through all the steps required to rewrite the programming.

There are a few people/companies offering upgrades.... but I'm not overly concerned with the factory ECU.... eventually it will get a management system designed by me... so this is all just a short term fix to get it going with the larger turbo.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Interesting choice of components.

LMK if you decide to try the GET ecm reprogramming. Glad to lend a hand.

Is that clutch for a flat flywheel? If so, mind giving up the source? I've found 2 parts sellers retailing a Sachs clutch but determining which flywheel is found in which model is a bit of a trick so far.

If your car has a hydraulic clutch system be sure to check for restrictions. The OE GET system uses plastic lines with metal fittings at the ends. The ID of the metal fittings is very small preventing fast shifts and aggravating clutch slip.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It's just some of the stuff I had.... I haven't posted for a long time on any of my projects.... mostly because my manufacturing business has been crazy busy for the last two years... so car stuff had to take the back burner.

I probably won't bother with the ECM reprogramming.... I will be using the Programmable MSD system to take care of ignition ( have to install a DIS system from a 91/92 sunbird )

For fuel.... I have a number of options..... I will most likely add a 3bar MAP sensor to lean out the fuel (since I will be using substancially larger injectors) and then I will fine tune it with the SAFC.

I also have a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.... so I can drop fuel pressure at lower RPM and bring it up during boost.

I have all the programming code and a guide for the ECU and I have an EPROM programmer.... so I can fool with the ECU myself if I can't make anything work.

Lots of options.... mostly just temporary stuff until I manage to get some time to put together a standalone fuel management system.

As far as the source for the clutch.... I'd be giving up a supplier of Tom's.... so I'd have to see what he says.

The flat flywheel is found on the C20NE and C20LZ ( 8V naturally aspirated ).... the supplier also has clutches to fit the "pot type" flywheels like the newer T20SED, U20SED

It's kind of funny.... the supplier usually machines the Sachs name off of it and passes it of as his own clutch kit.... only this time around they didn't machine far enough down and Tom happened to look at the pressure plate in just the right light were the name is still visible.

I just looked and the part number is next to impossible to figure out...... if you gave me the part numbers it might be possible to try and figure out which one it is.... but there is no guarantees.

My clutch is a cable driven one.... so no worries on the hydraulics until I finally get ahold of a Getrag F40 6spd with the correct bolt pattern
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Finally found a decent hood (other one damaged) after six months of searching the scrap yards.

What a pain.... there seemed to be hardly any Lemans sitting in the scrap yards this year.... and the ones that were there either had the hood removed allready or the hood was damaged.

At first I was thinking.... hmmm... I wonder if I should leave the white hood on there and add white accents to the car.

Now that I've seen it on my car.... well... I don't like it..... so I'm going to paint it flat black to see what it looks like

My hood caught the chicken pocks....... :shock: .... nahhh... just the glazing putty where I filled in the stone chips prior to painting.

Basicly.... I sanded the entire hood down with 220 grit to get rid of the clearcoat.... then I used a dremel tool to grind out the paint around the chips (getting to bare metal) ... then I used a bit of "glazing and spot putty" to fill the holes.

Next I will sand it down nice and smooth, apply a good quality primer, let it fully cure (leave it for a week), sand it down with 800 grit paper, clean the entire surface with Acetone and then paint it flat black

I think it should look decent.... but if it ends up looking like ass.... I can allways strip it down and paint it red.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

No part numbers here. Only applications. SACHS is called out proudly.
http://www.v-tuning.com/Sachs%20Clutches.htm

I'm going to make some calls and see if I can locate a Sachs catalog.

Shoulda mentioned the need for a hood. There's a lonely LeMans in a junkyard down the road. It's likely I could get the hood for a hot cup of coffee in this weather.
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

Hmmm... must have found the right search engines tonight.

Sachs racing clutch catalog (v. good reading)
http://www.sachsracing.com/owx_medien/m ... /36042.pdf

Sachs UK clutch catalog (stock replacements)
http://www.sachs-boge.co.uk/owx_medien/ ... /38750.pdf

Sachs North America clutch catalog (stock replacements)
http://www.zftna.com/owx_medien/media423/42372.pdf

SACHS North America (can connect to worldwide sites through ZF Trading Worldwide)
http://www.sachsna.com/

Mainly for anyone following along, since you've already got one. :)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Today's arrivals.....

This is a book I noticed in one of the last issues of sport compact car.... basicly it's a book for "technogeeks"

At first glance.... a good portion of this will be over my head unless I go back and study my calculus (been a few years)

Indepth thermodynamic analysis of engine dynamics.... even has pictures of actual burn patterns as captured via internal cylinder cameras... way cool

Autometer Cobalt series Pyrometer 0-1600 degrees.... brand new..... picked it up for $110
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

that book looks cool!

I think I've seen those gauges before........ whats the backlight colour?
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Hey Chris...

You ought to look into "Virtual 4-Stroke" to mess with. It's a rework of the coding from NASTRAN specifically for automotive engines. I have a copy and it is hands down the most awesome piece of software I have, aside from my Lotus package. I really think you'd enjoy the information you can gain from it, and working through things like intake and exhaust manifold tuning is a serious learning experience. I have it coupled with Recardo Wave, Fluent CFD, and PowerFlow CFD to produce some absolutely wonderful fluid simulations and visualizations.

(The new series of carbon fiber intake piping for the woos due out this summer will be modeled in V4S)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:that book looks cool!

I think I've seen those gauges before........ whats the backlight colour?
I don't know actually..... I think it's blue.

I wasn't concentrating on looks.... just trying to gather parts together.

Given I have multiple vehicles and projects.... the gauges will find a place in one of them.

Odds are I will start with non-similar gauges in the Lemans and when I finally get to interior work they will be replaced with multiple digital displays.

As far as the software..... sounds cool..... but I have a feeling this book will keep me busy for a year or so.... it's very very detailed with respect to all aspects.

It gets right into burn patterns and combustion chamber dynamics.... it allows you to grasp how the flame front moves and how pressure is generated throughout the stroke.

I can't wait to get into it.... I'm definitly going to have to brush up on my math. :?
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:..... but I have a feeling this book will keep me busy for a year or so.... it's very very detailed with respect to all aspects.

It gets right into burn patterns and combustion chamber dynamics.... it allows you to grasp how the flame front moves and how pressure is generated throughout the stroke.

I can't wait to get into it.... I'm definitly going to have to brush up on my math. :?
How much was this book? it sounds interesting..
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote: I'm definitly going to have to brush up on my math. :?
be sure to get your geek glasses on :lol:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
C20GET

Post by C20GET »

It gets right into burn patterns and combustion chamber dynamics.... it allows you to grasp how the flame front moves and how pressure is generated throughout the stroke
Friends tell me Ricardo's book (The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine) is far better, although a bit old. Expect to pay more for a new copy than for 4 custom pistons.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Speaking of custom pistons......here is today's arrivals :roll:

My second clutch.... racing piston pins.... custom machined X20XEV pistons ( 8.5:1 )... these are for the Forenza U20SED I have in my garage ( 9000 miles on it)

2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Chris,
Nice to see the car coming along. You and Tom will have two of the best Lemans across the "pond".
With the big turbo your fitting what are you doing intake wise? I couldn't carry on with the stock TB location on mine - I junked the stock GEt fuel rail too. Now using the 2L 16v TB (off a UK Ecotec - 57mm butterfly) and a XE/LET aluminium fuel rail.
Glad to see you've got Heywoods book - once you get through that start looking at some of the SAE stuff...

Audacity Racing wrote:Hey Chris...

You ought to look into "Virtual 4-Stroke" to mess with. It's a rework of the coding from NASTRAN specifically for automotive engines. I have a copy and it is hands down the most awesome piece of software I have, aside from my Lotus package. I really think you'd enjoy the information you can gain from it, and working through things like intake and exhaust manifold tuning is a serious learning experience. I have it coupled with Recardo Wave, Fluent CFD, and PowerFlow CFD to produce some absolutely wonderful fluid simulations and visualizations.

(The new series of carbon fiber intake piping for the woos due out this summer will be modeled in V4S)
Can I PM you about this software? It's something I'd like to get into... but I suspect it's expensive for private use?

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...