Daewoo Assisted Vauxhall Nova Hillclimb/Sprint Project

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

matt_vaughan

Daewoo Assisted Vauxhall Nova Hillclimb/Sprint Project

Post by matt_vaughan »

Hi guys, new here so thought I'd post up a thread as I feel you Daewoo boys are really going to help me out with this project.

Having been a big Vauxhall fan for a long time, and having a Nova (Opel Corsa A) as first car, when a solid, cheap shell with lots of extras came up for sale from a mate I couldn't resist.

The plan was always to build the car as a mega-light, slick-shod hillclimb/sprint car. The biggest issue I faced, however, was the choice of engines available for use in the class I'll be entering. I MUST use a block which is "externally identifyable" as an original block. After much head scratching I decided a small-block turbocharged engine is the best way to go......cue the Daewoo connection.

Basic initial plan for engine:

- C14NZ Vauxhall SPI block
- Daewoo A16DMS 16v Head (I believe this will also lower compression quite a bit)
- ARP bolts
- Standalone management (either adapt Saab Trionic 5.5 or Megasquirt)
- TD04l from Impreza WRX (not sure if this will be enough yet)

The the usual head work, lightening and balancing will also be done.

Will post pics of car up tonight when I get in from work.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Daewoo Assisted Vauxhall Nova Hillclimb/Sprint Project

Post by gse_turbo »

I certainly look forward to seeing this project. It's interesting to see you consider the Saab trionic system as a tuning option. I was just sharing with another member that I wanted to start looking into this as a cost affective option myself. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it at this point.
matt_vaughan

Post by matt_vaughan »

The Saab Trionic system is actually a very stable, versatile system and I'm hoping that with the right mix of sensors and retrofitting I can get it to work. Plenty of the Saab guys have fit the NG900 (Trionic 5.5) systems to older 8v models so I'm in no doubt that it can be done. It runs off intake air temp and crank position sensors so hopefully once those are sorted most of the rest of the conversion will fall into place. It also has useful features such as boost limiting traction and launch control, something that may help bring my 60 feet times down considerably.

Am I right in thinking that some of the Daewoo conrods are forged? If so which model engines do they feature in?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I'm gonna be very interested to see how it works out if you go with the trionic system. I would certainly be the next to do it.

The Daewoo Lanos A16DMS has forged rods. Although its a great feature you're limited to pistons that use pressed piston pins. If you wanted to use forged pistons you would have to modify the small end bore... and ARP bolts would be a good idea... and at that point you're better off getting a set of forged h-beams from Scat.