89 Sunbird GT Build a.k.a the FUNBIRD

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: 89 Sunbird GT Build a.k.a the FUNBIRD

Post by gse_turbo »

you have it right. you will also need all the shifter assembly for the M32 as well. even though the 5-speed in the GT Sunbird is cable shift you most likely wont be able to use it.

you can use the clutch set up you mentioned. that would be a great option. you can also use a lightened Forenza/Reno/Nubira flywheel and pressure plate. after this flywheel has been lightened, it weighs very close to the same as the Sunbird setup. the part that will be really critical is if the throw-out bearing has a radius or if it is flat. a pressure plate the is designed to work with that setup will be needed. in any case, I can make pretty much anything that would be needed for the setup.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

According to turbotax, my return ths year should be ~2100 bucks... yay school.
SO!!! m32 trans/shifter assembly/shifter cables will all hopefully be on order right as soon as the tax return comes and some bills are paid off.

then gse_turbo will be taking some of my money for a clutch setup.
What can you get... hopefully by the end of this build (after a motor build) 400 hp will be the daily hp number. Looking for a franken clutch setup like before mentioned.
How much will the c20get flywheel and pp/cruze m32 clutch disk cost me?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

let me do some research about the type of throw-out bearing on the M32. there is three different types and two different styles. I pretty much just have to find out the style, if it is flat or radiused.

after knowing that I can price out all the components.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Oh, didn't now that. Only thought there were there two transmissions, normal and eco with longer 6th gear..
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm in the hunt for a third manufacturing shop, found one out of town ( Onoway ) that's 8000 sq ft on 2.1 acres for a decent price, if I do get it I will be moving all my car stuff out there and dropping in a new lift first thing.

Before you get too crazy and start ordering parts we should compare the mounts on the sunbird with the M32 I have at my shop as I don't remember what the factory mounts on the S-Bird look like.

It wouldn't hurt to go by a dealership and take some good pictures of the mounts in the Cruze ECO

I have no problem fabricating custom mounts, but we need to make sure that an M32 mount is not going to end up some place stupid ( like the middle of the power steering rack ) before you commit to buying a bunch of parts.

You will need the ECU from a manual Sunbird, if your going all out you might as well see if Pontiac Jeff can get you a modified ECU for use with a 3bar sensor ( instead of screwing around trying to make the 2bar sensor happy )

When do you finish up at NAIT ?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Yeah chris
as we spoke earlier i'm done. woot.

need another week of safety certifications then i start employment.
the rotation looks as if it will be either 10 and 4 or 14 and 7, im hoping for the 14 and 7. just for time off reasons... but the 10/4 will pay more in the long run. so ether has perks.

i will bring back that booklet you gave me some time this week, as my courses are at safety coordination service just down the street, but i think most go till 5 o'clock.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

OK WELL THE HUNT IS BACK ON !!!

time to get some info on how the mounts look.

Upper here: http://www.turbotechracing.com/productc ... oduct=5375

Does this help chris? it shows how the cruze mounts look.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... bly=393721

The sunburn:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... lYear=1989
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Cruze m32 option MF3 ordered. more parts soon to come.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

that's exciting.
let us know how it goes mounting the M32
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

console assembly and shift cables found and ordered too.

Now to find:
a clutch pedal setup
and a clutch setup

once the trans shows up gonna see if the sunbird axles work because i cant find specs or the spline count for the transmission.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

stopped by the gm dealer, and from what i could tell the cruze trans mount is around the same height as the axles, and based on how the power steering rack looks in the sunbird there should be no issue with a mount chris.

sadly still waiting on the trans and shifter parts.

:(
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Shift cables and shifter showed up toda! woot.

remaining items:
clutch/flywheel/pressure plate
clutch pedal and lines
axel setup as the sunbird axels do not fit the trans.
transmission mount
some sort of tuning solution

still a lot left :( saddness
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Car is coming back apart so i can get at the flex plate. more updates and pictures to come.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Car is apart and flex plate is out.

Cruze axles are on their way, nobody in canada had a flywheel or flexplate in stock except toronto.
Clutch Masters was somewhat helpful but didn't have the pcd for the flywheel, and a stealership wanted 500+ for a flywheel, So i bought a flex plate from rockauto for 37$.

Probably going to take the engine apart and replace the rods and pistons with something stronger and not hypereutectic...
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

You may have posted this but why the Cruze flex plate? I'm concerned that the bolt pattern to the crank won't be the same.