89 Sunbird GT Build a.k.a the FUNBIRD

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mzspd6

Re: 89 Sunbird GT Build a.k.a the FUNBIRD

Post by Mzspd6 »

gse_turbo wrote:You may have posted this but why the Cruze flex plate? I'm concerned that the bolt pattern to the crank won't be the same.
You sir are correct. i dont have a picture but the center bore of the cruze flex plate is the same. the bolt holes however need to be brought out a small amount, like 2-4mm on all 6, and the flywheel cruze will bolt right up! balancing would probably be necessary, and i'm not going to just give'er with a drill press and diy this one.

i thought you were able to get these kinds of items? i have cash in hand ready to buy a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch.
Clutch masters quoted me 800 on their best streetable setup. and 1700 for a twin disk. The guy on the phone said it would be good for about 400lbs tq through it.
i think i have the turbo setup to come close to that mark, just need to figure out fuel and a tuning solution after the motor is back in the car.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Sunbird splines are the same as cruze splines. Same diameter and 33 count each. But for some gay reason they are like a foot short... and didn't come with crown nuts.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Did more googling... and when it comes to using the NA camshaft specs are as follows. Gotta add that chris you were very correct on the na stuff being bigger. i wonder how much hp just switching to the bigger charge pipes, throttle body, intake manifold, and camshaft will amount to... too bad we didn't have a baseline dyno :(

TURBO!!!
Intake Lift: 214
Exhaust Lift: 214
Duration i cant find, nor overlap

NA!!!
Intake Lift: 235
Exhaust Lift: 250
duration i cant find, nor overlap.

Now i cant find much for durations and overlap, and i really don't know much about camshaft theory when it comes to na and turbo, so really need some more edumacating...

Also found that exedy makes a flywheel for the 8v, and im going to phone spec/clutch masters and rock auto again and see who will be more helpful in allowing me a RMA if some of these items won't work.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I agree that the NA cams have more lift than the turbo cams however intake and exhaust cams are identical in every way. I have more than eight 2.0 cams from Europe and north America and the specs and part numbers are all identical. Speaking specifically about X20XEV, T20SED, U20SE, T22SED.

As for the clutch kit. I've been building clutch kits for these motor/trans for about eight years. If you don't get anywhere with the big brands, or want to spend less money, I can help you out.
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

The only reason I'm shopping with the big brands is because I can't get a price from you. I have told you money in hand, ready to wire it your way but then you go missing.

I will have pictures of the throwout bearing by this afternoon.
Lets make a deal haha.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Crap. I apologize. I've been torn in so many directions lately that I haven't bee able to keep up with the online clients. Let's get you taken care of!
Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Yeah.I'm going to get pictures of the trans now.

Here is the bearing.

Mzspd6

Post by Mzspd6 »

Well looks like the clutch process has begun with HSP, hopefully something can be made to work.