Finally going to get this lanos on its feet

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Finally going to get this lanos on its feet

Post by sheepdizildawg »

Well I havnt been arround these forums for a good 2 years now. After breaking down on me a second time, I said I'm done and got a new to me car. 2002 volkswagen gti. I have been doing a lot of car work the last two years, have won a few shows and what not, but always see the lanos on the side of the house. Well yesterday I decided to get this thing running again. I ordered a new seal kit and head bolts and got started. Yesterday I pulled the head and took it to a machine shop and got the head decked and cleaned up. I am waiting for the kit to get here, hope tomorrow or friday. I am debaiting on selling it once I get it going, or keeping it and building into a sleeper. Here are a few pics of my projects the last 2 years and the lanos.

This is right after I got my GTI and lowered it.
Got it lowered some more and started on some body work, along with some Corvette wheels
This was a few months ago after making my dual exit exhaust
And as it sits now, almost done with body work.

After I got my income tax back in Feburary, I picked up a 1969 VW bus for $600 with the engine sitting in its back seat, put it all together, drove it for a few months and sold it for $2300 after having it listed for 2 hours.

After selling that I picked this 1986 vw gti up for $600 from a friend. Ran and drove fine, was a bit dirty, so spent 2 hours clay baring and waxing and this is how it sat

After driving it for a few weeks, the 1.8l 8v wasnt cutting it, so I picked up a 2.0l 8v engine from a 94 gti and started on the swap.
Before:
During:
After:

I am now daily driving this as a big turbo engine isnt the best thing to daily.

I pulled the daewoo off the side of the house yesterday and into the driveway and it sat like this

Pulled the head and cleaned up the bay

And I just picked up the head a few hours ago from the machine shop.

I plan on just getting this heap running reliably and then I will decide if I want to fab up an exhaust manifold to boost it or now.
benzino
Expert

Re: Finally going to get this lanos on its feet

Post by benzino »

how many oil pans have you gone through on that gti? hahaha

wow you've been busy though
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

I have 1" engine mount spacers on the gti so I dont have any problems with oil pans.

The stock turbo is about half the size of the turbo on the left, which is what I upgraded to at first, now im running the one on the right.

I forgot the head had two bolts that broke off inside of it, so im headed to the machine shop tomorrow to see if they can get them out. If not that was $30 out the window to get the head reworked. UPS says its gonna take a week to get my head bolts from california to washington. Says they will be here monday, thats why I dont like using UPS, they suck.
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

well got everything back and together, car started once yesterday and now wont start at all. Anyone know if the CPS goes out on their frequently?
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

maybe... but you can always test it
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

if ur Crankshaft position sensor is bad, then there would be no spark... use a spark tester