Project WOOSAABi ...big pictures inside

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Project WOOSAABi (GSE_Turbo)

Post by gse_turbo »

the suspension was pretty screwed up so I replaced everything.

- the ball joints and steering end links are from an 87-93 Pontiac LeMans.
- the swaybar end links and mounts are Energy Suspension pieces off the shelf from Checkers/O'rielly's
- nylon shifter bushings are made in house (...now anyways, they are originally M-Tech parts)
- the springs are H&R from ebay. the picture kinda shows how much stiffer they are. they are over 2" shorter than stock but only offer 1.5" of drop in the front

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Here's a pic of what the car looked like back in June, it's out dated now but I'm still trying to find good current pics.

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I'm liking the gearstick mod you got going there... good inspiration, i say. two thumbs up from me.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:D THANKS!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Image Image

the Euro cluster is an awesome swap for the cars here in the States. it was a direct swap with no wiring needed for the Tach.

however, the there is one mod needed, the oil and engine lights are swapped so you will have to swap out the wires to keep it reading right.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Time to tell about the throttle conversion. I went from the stock 1.6 throttle to the 2.0 throttle from a Nubira.

Image Image

The first thing to note is the way the IAC and TPS face in the two throttles. They are pretty much in opposite directions. The TPS is the same on both but bolted in different directions. I fixed that by dripping and tapping new mounting holes on the bigger throttle. The IAC's are not the same in the two models, I used the IAC from the 1.6 to get it to face closer to how it is stock.
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I've gotta post more pics of what it takes to port match the throttle but until then there is something to consider with the bigger throttle. the throttle rotor from the 2.0/2.2 sucks for the 1.6 motor, the position is all wrong. an aftermarket throttle rotor is needed or at least a pretty good modification to the stock one. I made a cheap/quick cable bracket to keep the car on the road but I've been noticing some pretty screwy throttle issues because of it.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

aaallllrrighty then, time to try and cover the exhaust system.

as I posted a while ago, everything that's posted has been done now for the better part of 6 months. same with the exhaust, at least for now. the exhaust is a work in progress, even thought it's complete there are a few modifications that I need to do.

since the Nubira is parked with a destroyed crank (a C20LET mind you) I decided to pull the exhaust from it an use most of those components, at least that was the idea. in the end I wound up using the down pipe, flex pipe, cat, and back box.

I did the exhaust in sections that can easily replace the stock items because once I'm completely happy with this exhaust I'm going to have it reproduced so that it can be made available when my site is up again. the back box and middle section are a direct bolt on and I'm finishing up a 4-2-1 header as we speak. I may also develope a section to work with the 4-1 header that is available now as well.
I'll start offering Lanos systems and then Aveo and who knows from then.

the flanges I had used were for temporary use so even though the 3-bolt flange was not perfect it did work great. when it comes time to put it into production the flanges will be perfect matches.

...so here are the pics of the resonator section, apparently I never took pics of the muffler/back-box section. this first pic is of the exhaust that came outta the Nubira before I cut it up for the Lanos
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
benzino
Expert

Re: Project WOOSAABi ...big pictures inside

Post by benzino »

that bend in the last pic is probably the worst press bend i've ever seen hahaha
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

benzino wrote:that bend in the last pic is probably the worst press bend i've ever seen hahaha

ha haha, yeah, the exhaust in the Nubi was pretty rough.

I'm really happy with the the current cat-back system so I think I'm gonna get that ready to produce that in the near future.

The down pipe and cat section I was testing was a pretty big disappointment. I did what most people do, delete the up-stream cat and run a pipe section to the down-stream cat. I figured there would be issues but I wanted to see first hand. for one, there are two different cats for a reason, they provide different functions and can't be used separately. the biggest problem is that having the cat-con so far away. there is an affect know as Helmholtz resonance which in an exhaust provides low-end torque and low/mid range power (put simply). having the cat-con so far away from the manifold basically eliminates this function and using too big of a pipe between the manifold and cat-con makes it even worse. using the stock two cat-con and manifold provides more torque than 2.5" tubing and the cat-con far away. hopefully I cat have some dyno sheets to prove that soon.

Right now I'm finishing up the 4-2-1 header and the information I've picked up has helped to decide the placement of the cat-con in the new setup.
XJCasper

Post by XJCasper »

Looking good. Interested to see what you come up with for the Aveo Exhaust.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Hey Guys, I don't have enough time to post all the pics of my newly finished header but in the meantime I'll give a couple quick samples.

Image Image

Garrett
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

great job gse_turbo! Im wondering, can u drop a civic engine in a lanos? ;)