Project WOOSAABi ...big pictures inside

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Project WOOSAABi ...big pictures inside

Post by gse_turbo »

Well I suppose it's time to start posting all the pics from the latest project. Since about june last year I've been working on my 2002 Lanos. I have a ton of pictures to go through so it may be a little before I can get most of them up.

Garrett

PS. The old name is out and the new one is way more fitting! HOLLAND SPORT PERFORMANCE! [I'm known locally as "Gary Holland"]
Rodd1s
Expert

Re: Project WOOSAABi (GSE_Turbo)

Post by Rodd1s »

:shock: cant wait to see what you have in store for us... !!!
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Sweet! Holland Sport Performance sounds better too. Please give us more info on this project!
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

In june of 2009 I bought a Lanos from a local companies fleet for $100.00. The motor was blown, I'll post some pics of the carnage soon. I originally bought the car just to keep out back and test fit parts to. When I got it the Nubira was running alright so I expected that to remain my daily driver.
The Nubira went to crap so I had to get the Lanos running just while I got the Nubi block machined. Because of my LeMans project I had a ton of parts that were sitting around so I put them to use. Pretty much everything that I have/had planned for the LeMans will basically be done to the Lanos as a test fit so to speak.

NOW FOR THE NAME!
So heres the plan, at some point I'll probably end up putting a turbo Saab motor in it or maybe the V6, I'm not sure. The actual reason for dubbing this car WOOSAABI is because very soon the car will have the entire suspension from a Saab 93. As most of us know, for a period of time the 900 and 93 were basically just a Vectra with a different motor. The suspension that I'll be using is from a '97 93 and both the front and rear are a direct bolt in.
the gains from the conversion are...
-All wheel disc with larger rotors (the smallest wheel that will fit is a 15")
- 5-lug conversion (the front spindles are the same spline as stock)
- second sway bar for the rear
- equal length drive shafts

Since this became my daily driver the project has slowed down quite a bit. I don't have the suspension installed but I do have several of the components. right now I'm planning on focusing on the A16 and getting some results out of it before swapping the Z20 that I have for the LeMans project.

AS FOR NOW (3-5-10)
- H&R Springs
- Energy Suspensions front swaybar bushings and end links
- true solid urethane front motor mounts
- lightened flywheel
- 4-puck Kevlar clutch w/sprung hub
- short throw shifter linkage
- short throw shifter lever
- new lower ball joints
- new steering end links
- water pump, timing belt and tensioner
- Electronic oil pressure gauge in the car
- mechanical oil pressure gauge in the engine bay
- oil catch can
- euro gauge cluster with tach
- Nubira 2.0 throttle body (50mm in the 1.6 to 60mm in the 2.0)
- ported upper intake manifold
- Front cat delete
- Full cat back in 2.5" mandrel bends
- CEL delete

ITEMS IN THE WORKS
-two piece 4-2-1 header with v-bands connecting at all the collectors
-crank case evac-system
-high flow cat
-AEM stand alone
-basic fuel system upgrades

...I'm sure there's more that I'll remember once I start getting the pics up.

cheers
Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

The Motor That Was In The Car

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

meh, ur good... put some duck tape on it + super glue ;) :lol:

how did it happen?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

ha haha, I don't know, I bought the car just like this but the fleet manager from the company I bought it from didn't know either. my guess is that they either never changed the oil or they had a leak and ran it dry.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

gse_turbo wrote: PS. The old name is out and the new one is way more fitting! HOLLAND SPORT PERFORMANCE! [I'm known locally as "Gary Holland"]
Name change sounds good, that's cool that your going to look at a Saab swap, it's certainly going to pave another option for others to follow.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks for the comments guys!

...alright, now that you've see the carnage from the stock motor, here's the replacement!

Nothing too special here, I over paid for this motor from a salvage yard (paid $950 to have it brought in outta state). It's pretty much just stock, I just a little paint, a water pump, timing belt oil pan and valve cover gasket among other little things.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The clutch kit is kinda special. The lanos comes stock with an 8.5" kit and because of the design, you can't outright use nothing bigger. This pressure plate and disc is for a Nubira which uses a 9.0" kit. the whole reason for wanting to use the Nubira kit is that I have already design a pressure plate for the Nubira (and like chassis) that has more plate load than stock. The Lanos comes with 1000lbs of plate load, the Nubira comes with about 1200Lbs of plate load and my pressure plate is at 1500Lbs of plate load.
I really love this disc as well, it's a Kevlar puck disc and it drives amazingly! It's more pricey than a ceramic disc but has close but not quite as much hold as a ceramic. Aside from the great holding power, it drives like stock and it is nearly impossible to damage your pressure plate or flywheel which ceramic and sintered iron are known for. Another cool thing about Kevlar is that you can damn near burn it to no and and as soon as it cools it's just about as good as new.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here are the motor mount of course. the rubber was destroyed so I cut it out completely, made a fixture for them and filled them with a two part polyurethane compound.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

What did you use to reinforce mounts?

What is the code for this engine (is that 1.6 16v A16DM)? Why didn't go with the C20LET?

Lanos is kadet-E/astra mk2 compatible (not vectra a) as you probably know....

I'm looking forward for the new pics.. ;-)

Very nice project.. ;-)
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

mr_g wrote:...

actually, i've found there are a few parts from vectra a and vectra b that work/fit on the lanos.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Really? :shock: Witch one?
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

mr_g wrote:Really? :shock: Witch one?
I think the Saaab that we have here based on the Vectra is the Vectra B. from what I found, the entire suspension, front and rear is a direct swap.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

mr_g wrote:What did you use to reinforce mounts?

What is the code for this engine (is that 1.6 16v A16DM)? Why didn't go with the C20LET?

I'm looking forward for the new pics.. ;-)

Very nice project.. ;-)
the motor mounts were completely stripped to bare metal. I made a fixture to hold everything in place and... THEY WERE FILLED WITH "RHINO LINING" TRUCK BED LINER!! :D ...I know, sounds strange but it is 100% urethane, it's very strong and very inexpensive.

as for the motor, I will eventually have a Z20LET build in here for a short time and then perhaps a V6. for now I want to see how far the A16DM can go, first as all motor and then turbo. right now I need to finish the fabrication on my header and order the stand alone and I will have some dyno charts. with the header and stand alone I plan in about 150whp and with internals and head work I want to hit at least 200whp before going turbo. I want to hit at least 260whp+ before putting the 2.0 in.

Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

SSOOOO.... since I had to pull the lower control arm to swap out ball joints I decided to install the motor and tranny together from the bottom. I lifted up the front end and slid the two in through the wheel well.

Image Image Image Image