My '02 Nubira CDX Limited Sedan

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Carr

My '02 Nubira CDX Limited Sedan

Post by Carr »

Hi All,

I have been on this forum for a while now but never got around to doing a build thread. I haven't done much to the car, mainly audio, but I thought I would write it up anyway. It is a 2.0L Sedan and I have had this car for about 18 months or so, overall I think it is pretty good and under estimated by most people. I have previously had a 2000 Lanos SE 1.5 3 door which I bought new. I had done a custom interior, big stereo (142db), exhaust, intake, brakes and mags before some bugger stole it. These are the only pics I have from the Lanos:

A 24inch Neon up behind the bumper

Tacho and painted gauge surround

DBA Slotted rotors

Mags with Slotted rotors fitted, 215/40/16 tyres

Anyway, that was my old car, now onto my current one. The car already had leather trim, electric windows/mirrors and tint, and alloys, so the basics were already done for me from the factory. After getting used to the car for a few months I got a little bored and decided to do a snorkelectomy (sp?) as I refer to it, basically remove the lower airbox on the intake. I have a pod filter ready to install but I haven't got around to getting the required piping to do it. While doing the snorkelectomy I noticed how worn my brakes were getting, that combined with some brake shudder, I decided to get some slotted rotors and paint my calipers before fitting some semi race compound pads.

Before

New vs Old

New rotor on the car without caliper

New rotor with wheel fitted (Painted calipers not fitted yet)

Rotors before painting, 1 on left before cleaning. Right one took 3 hours to clean.

4 coats of red, 5 coats of clear

Painted caliper fitted

That is all the mechanical work I have done until now. I will cover my stereo upgrades next.
'02 Daewoo Nubira J150 CDX Limited 2.0L
Deck: Alpine CDA-9887
Front: Kicker KS600.2
Rear: Removed
Speaker Amp: 4 Channel Fusion Powerplant FP1404
Sub: 15" Fusion Comp
Sub Amp: Epsilon EA-5000D
Personal Best SPL: 145.6dB - Street B
buddha102
Expert

Re: My '02 Nubira CDX Limited Sedan

Post by buddha102 »

Nice, sux that fucking dumbass stole ur stuff, man i wish we could have automatic weapons system in cars that if u break in, u get shoot, END OF STORY :minigun:

nice man, i like it

how did u disassemble the caliper from the brake line? did u cut it?
Carr

Post by Carr »

Ok, now onto the Stereo.

I have had a few different setups in the last 9 months, each getting bigger, louder and better. I will keep it basic to make it a bit shorter.

First setup: Cheap DVD headunit, Cheap 7" motorised screen with TV - Total cost $260 new (very cheap and nasty)
2 weeks later I found a 12" sub in a pawn show that was the same as the 15" I had in the Lanos. I got that and an amp for about $100. That was nice but it wasn't enough for me, so I found another one the same for $50 a week later and it improved things nicely. I needed to build a new box for them as 1 was in a sealed box and 1 in a ported box, so I build this and swapped my amp for a bigger one which only cost me $200

Fusion Powerplant 12" Subs (FPW-1200) in new box

New amp

I got sick of the cheap DVD unit about 3 weeks later, so I went out and got a Pioneer DVD unit on sale for $250. This unit was pretty good an entry level DVD unit and made it quite a bit easier to tune. After having a 15" sub previously, 2 x 12's were never going to satisfy my need for bass. I stumbled across the same model 15" on Ebay that I had in the Lanos, so I bought it :D

Fusion Powerplant 15" (FPW-1500)

This was great, except that it came in a sealed box that had lots of leaks. So I built a new box for it from 1inch MDF

It was now perfect, huge amounts of loud and low bass :badgrin: This brought a new problem into the picture, way too many rattles. I decided to do some panel deadening

Boot lit. I did more but haven't taken pics

I did the entire boot floor and walls, including the inside of the rear quarter panel

After doing this in January, I entered my first sound-off. I ended up doing 140db which I was very happy with considering that the box was tuned to play music and not for SPL. About this time I realised that I needed to upgrade the rest of my speakers. I purchased a pair of Kicker 6" components for the front and found some old JBL 6.5" 2 way's laying around my grandfathers shed. I installed these and it made a huge improvement. After doing this, I realised that I wanted more tuning ability from the head unit, so I went out and got an Alpine CDA-9887 with the Imprint microphone which will tune the system for you. Up to this point, the new head unit made the biggest difference to the sound, so much clearer and defined. My parcel shelf was still causing quite a bit of rattling, so I got some closed cell foam and laid a layer under it which stopped all the rattles.

I had found out after playing with the 15" sub, that it had a damaged voice coil and it wouldn't last very long with the abuse I was giving it. I decided to call Fusion to find out if they had any recone kits for them so I could rebuild it. They didn't have any but said they were getting some old Competition 15" subs from another country that couldn't sell them. I made the arrangements and after waiting for them to come into the country, I got one. It came in a metal carry case and included a recone kit for when you blew it up, it weighs about 20kg without the metal case. It is rated at 2000wrms and 4000max.

Prety case

Not the prettiest sub ever made, but should be bloody loud

aaahh, there is the pretty bit :lol:

The amp I had wouldn't run the sub as it wouldn't wire down to the required impedence so I had to get a new one. After a long time considering what to buy, I ended up getting a big amp commonly referred to as a surfboard as it is about 42" long. It is an Epsilon EA-5000D, they were made for a local car audio chain so most people wouldn't know aboutt hem. They were made to very similiar specs to the Fusion Comp amp (FCA-4000D) which is the same size. It should put out about 4000 - 4500wrms @1ohm @ 13v, but this is only a small portion of what this amp is capable of . It can run at upto 18v and be wired as low as 0.25ohms which I believe would result in about 7000-7500wrms.

Me holding the amp

That is a pack of smokes on the corner there

You have to love 0gauge terminals

I only picked up the amp today so I haven't had a chance to install it yet. This week I will be getting some 70mm2 welding cable to run from the battery to a distro block to split into each power terminal to start with and will eventually upgrade to 2 runs, 1 for each terminal. I also need to build a new box designed for SPL to suit the new sub.

Anyway, that is my car up to now and I will update it when I get some more done.
Thanks for reading, any comments and feedback are welcome

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by Carr on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carr

Post by Carr »

buddha102 wrote:Nice, sux that fucking dumbass stole ur stuff, man i wish we could have automatic weapons system in cars that if u break in, u get shoot, END OF STORY :minigun:

nice man, i like it

how did u disassemble the caliper from the brake line? did u cut it?
mmmmmm, guns :gib:

Thanks man. The calipers that I painted were from a wrecking yard so I just cut the lines to get them out. I needed to be able to drive the car while I was doing the work, that and I am not confident in bleeding my brakes properly. I just painted them and got the shop that was doing my pads to change them and do a full fluid flush. I would normally change brake pads myself but the pads I got came with a lifetime replacement offer which means that as long as I own the car I get free pads :D. They cost me about $230 which isn't cheap, but I could go through a pair of pads every week and it still wouldn't cost me anything.

Cheers
Chris
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

damn, looks like ur into music than performance lol

nice, i dont like bass.... i like to listen to music not my balls vibrating the entire time :lol:
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

buddha102 wrote:i like to listen to music not my balls vibrating the entire time :lol:
thats why you have good component speakers, so you have music to go with your bass.

thats one HUGE fucking amp bro. 2k rms is one hell of a capability, i though i had it loud with 700 rms going to 2 12"mtx thunder 5500 in a ported box. one thing i wonder i saw in the first pic (that it looks like) you were running the subs faceing the front of the car, were you? if you face the rear of the car it will give you alot more sound from the subs, you do have the sub rear faceing dont you?.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Carr

Post by Carr »

daewoomofo wrote: thats one HUGE fucking amp bro. 2k rms is one hell of a capability, i though i had it loud with 700 rms going to 2 12"mtx thunder 5500 in a ported box. one thing i wonder i saw in the first pic (that it looks like) you were running the subs faceing the front of the car, were you? if you face the rear of the car it will give you alot more sound from the subs, you do have the sub rear faceing dont you?.
The sub is 2k rms, but the amp is 4k rms @ 12v. I should be rather loud, I am hoping to break 145db at first but 150db is my real goal.

subs forward gives a clearer sound but is generally not as loud, for it to work properly you need to seal the boot off behind the subs. The big downfall if you set it up like this is that the sound can be muffled by the rear seats if they are not folded down. It is something that I want to experiment with as if done right it can be louder. It doesn't always work in all sedans, but it does sometimes. I am currently firing the sub back and move it to about 10inch from the back and point it to a corner and angle it up a bit.

The box I am going to make for the new sub will probably be firing up to the boot lid with the port up too. I will probably make a few different ones to see which is louder.
Carr

Post by Carr »

Just a little update. I have installed the amp and made a new box for the sub. I haven't taken any pics yet but will in the next few days once I find my camera. I still need to do a lot of testing and run 3 more runs of power cables, but I am still pretty happy with it so far. I entered a SPL comp tonight and ended up getting 142.2dB from the new setup. With a few tweaks and a little bit more testing I should be able to break 145dB. I will probably need to make another box specifically for SPL to go louder but I will see how this one goes after a few tweaks.

Cheers
Chris
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

good luck with the 150, are what is your power setup?
more than 1 battery?
1 huge amp alternator?
etc..
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Carr

Post by Carr »

Thanks Wolf, I am still using the standard Alt and battery at the moment and will be using a charger between runs at competitions to top the battery back up. The standard battery isn't too bad as it was recently tested and shows about 880cca, but I will need to upgrade it in the near future. I will also be running another 3 runs of the 70mm2 power cable from the battery to the amp, 1 more for positive and 2 for negitave. A larger Alt is on the list of things to get, but isn't urgent as the voltage doesn't drop after driving with it at high volume.
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

hmmm.. yea.. the alt you will only need if driving.
the battery, why not go a yellow top? ;) stick it into the boot, where the wheel was, and strap it down, thus you have 2 batts, and ones a deep cycle, that is meant for the shaking. :P
~wolf
i really am jealous of that amp. i dont think it would fit in my trunk...
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Carr

Post by Carr »

I will only be running the single battery, if i installed another i would change the class that I compete in. I am not sure if i will go with an Optima D31 Red Top, Odessey 2150, or another brand with similar rating. My tyre well is also currently full, I have a spare tyre in there :D .

I found my camera so here are a couple of pics of the amp installed and the new box for the new sub

Amp and sub box
Better view of sub box
Wiring for the amp
Power distrubution for amp
Boot lid fuly deadened
My Headunit - Alpine CDA9887

Thanks for reading
Chris
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

Damn, your one crazy white boy lol (im white too xD)

btw y do u have that "foil" inside ur car?
Carr

Post by Carr »

buddha102 wrote:Damn, your one crazy white boy lol (im white too xD)

btw y do u have that "foil" inside ur car?
Cheers Buddha. I haven't done any visible mods to the car so when I have the stereo cranked people look around to try and see where it is coming from and never suspect me. I have been to a couple of SPL events and i get comments from the crowd about not expecting a Daewoo to be that loud, not to mention the look of shock when the see the amp.

The "foil" is a product similar to dynamat, basically adding weight to a panel to increase it's resonant frequency which reduces vibrations. The stuff I used is called Flashtac and is meant to be used to repair gutters and downpipes on roofs, but it works fairly well and is about 1/3 the price.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i just (last night) bought a roll of water and ice shield for my car.... too many rattlels, cant wait to deaden the trunk on my lanos. any tips on instalation?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!