Benzino's 2.0L Lanos (Links in 1st post)

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Benzino's 2000 Lanos

Post by benzino »

Just a quick update.

I finally have all my bigger brakes ready to go :D
I have 256mm Lanos brakes, 22mm master cylinder and 240mm rear discs from an Astra G/TS (4 stud no abs)
I might buy some rear camber shims from LMF Vauxhall too, too take out some of the negative camber just so the wide rear wheels wear a bit more evenly

Write-up soon (still trying to source the handbrake cable)

Nearly bought a 2.0 nubira on the weekend too, but it was a little out of my budget seeing as though I only want the engine

Also, Engine swap may be happening in my summer holidays which is sooner than I expected :D :D
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

ordered a shark racing strut brace today.
Time for some bling. Lol
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

looks like you need valve cover gasket if im not mistaken?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

i have a breather filter on
it's just messy

i'll go catch can on the swap
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

parts to go on...

Front and rear brakes. Soon to be red calipers
Muffler
Vaux spark cover
Steering wheel
Oil plate
Water temp adapter

Just waiting for gauges (oil and water temp and oil press) which I bought a month ago and the stupid seller hasn't sent them to me. Waiting for paypal to sort it out.
And I also bought some 14"x6" wheels (not the ones in the picture) from a E30 BMW... I needed smaller wheels so when I get the swap registered, I won't need to get the 17" wheels engineered as the law says they are too big (you can only go +2" on height and +1.5" on width).
Good for sleeping... hahaha :badgrin:
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

painting
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

benzino wrote:parts to go on...

you are lucky for finding those single piston calipers... you won't have pedal travel calibration issues

my setup is based on the rear brakes of a Vectra A which have dual pistons and that affected the pedal travel and i am in the middle of brake pedal calibration issues which have not been sorted out yet.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

MMamdouh wrote:
you are lucky for finding those single piston calipers... you won't have pedal travel calibration issues

my setup is based on the rear brakes of a Vectra A which have dual pistons and that affected the pedal travel and i am in the middle of brake pedal calibration issues which have not been sorted out yet.

MMamdouh
I thought your brakes were ok? they seemed to be pretty shiny when you put them on?

what's been going wrong?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... the brake power is not an issue... brake pedal travel is

it seems (after exhausting investigation) that the setup i have is requiring more travel from the brakes pedal due to the fact that my rear calipers got two pistons that are much bigger than the pistons in the old drum setup

i came across an article saying that in the event of a drum to disk swap you have to adjust the length of the brake pedal push rod to compensate for the bigger rear pistons... i did so at my mechanic's shop and he spun the rod twice to extend it a bit it showed improvements... went their again to extend it a bit more and it went worse...

i can almost swear that he retracted the rod the second time rather than extend it as the brakes response was back to how it used to be at first... the problem is that i hardly have time to go to the mechanic again to recalibrate the rod and i have to cope with a long travel pedal till i do find some time... it sucks

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

found the topic where the adjustment is mentioned... it is actually in the last topic in the How to section addressing the brakes upgrades:
tango wrote: 3) Disc brakes require more pedal movement for the brakes to apply by a given amount. Thus, adjustment of the pedal WILL be necessary to maintain brake force. This is a fairly easy thing. Remove the spring and the pin from the pedal and turn the U-bolt INWARD. The brake lamp switch will have to be readjusted by bending the mounting plate it's on to the point where it touches the pedal. This is a trial and error job as you'll need to see where the pedal is best to your liking.
MMamdouh
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

some update pics

e30 rims

ummm... korean EK9 :lol:
bluesx

Post by bluesx »

from bluesx , I really love what you've done to your ride. I agree with your getting rid of that big heavy
stock muffler . I did the same on my 1999 lanos. I changed the cat to a magnaflow performance cat ,
muffler to a cherry bomb and added a nice stainless steel tail pipe . KYB gas struts and shocks work
really well in the handling department. In the United States, they are almost giving Daewoos away.
It's a shame that these cars got a bad rap. For the money, they can't be beat. And from reading
this forum, there is almost no limit to what you can do to get them to go fast , and handle like
more expensive cars. I'm glad that there are more aftermarket parts available , now !
Enjoy your 2000 Lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

needs to be lower... lol
lanos 4wd at the moment :D

and never as nice as C20LET power ;)