rodd1s' ex-turbo Lanos [1349 sleeper in the making]

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

Re: rodd1s' ex-turbo Lanos [1349 sleeper in the making]

Post by Rodd1s »

benzino wrote:hey mate, do you think you could do me a massive favour?

would you be able to measure your ride height with the spax springs from the lowest (stock) point of your car (for example exhaust pipe)?

in australia we have a minimum ride height restriction of 110mm and i don't want to be ordering springs if it will make it lower than that...

i would really appreciate it.
cheers
-Ben
With 40mm spax springs i can guarantee that the car will be more than 110 off the ground.
I cant really perform those measurements you've asked, because the rear of my car sits high due to being on over-sized tyres and stripped out, and the front is low cos of chopped springs. but even now the lowest 'stock' point on the car is probably higher than 110mm. in fact, the lowest point (front splitter) sits probably around 110mm off the ground.

use this pic for reference:
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

sweet, thanks heaps

i'll be doing some of my own measurements to see how much space i have to play with (worse case scenario in my mind is i get 35-40mm springs that end up settling down to more like 50-60... hahaha)

the cops are pretty strict with height here...
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Yeah I wouldnt worry about it dropping too low, the lanos chassis has trouble getting low enough in my opinion. even with a 40mm drop it seems high compared to some cars, and never had trouble with speedbumps or steep angles.

I wish someone produced like an 80mm kit or adjustable suspension for the lanos, cos it sits so high.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

airbags?...
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Rodd1s wrote:Yeah I wouldnt worry about it dropping too low, the lanos chassis has trouble getting low enough in my opinion. even with a 40mm drop it seems high compared to some cars, and never had trouble with speedbumps or steep angles.

I wish someone produced like an 80mm kit or adjustable suspension for the lanos, cos it sits so high.

i've been working on a kit that uses an inverted coil over shock assemply in the rear that eliminates the factory spring posission and just uses the shock location. it's very popular in the vintage porsche race world. the setup isn't too expensive for what you are getting I just don't have the extra fundes to complete it.

if a few people would be interested inbuying the kit then I would love to finish working on it.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Oh no, I wouldnt touch airbags!! :-S as a general rule, air-ride is made for buses!

Rear adjustable suspension isnt a problem, as astra rear adjustable suspension is plentiful on ebay and in some performance shops. What I meant was, I'd prefer to have used a proper kit than having to have cut my front springs to go lower and stiffer.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

DON'T leave me on my own with powertool and cars :lol:

ImageImage
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

. . .

a naca duct would have been a much better addition and would have actually worked
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

benzino wrote:. . .

a naca duct would have been a much better addition and would have actually worked
I know. its not there to serve much of a purpose, altho A LOT of heat does come out of there when the car is stopped.

but if i do wanna add a naca-type duct for the intake i've now got a template for where it can go. I did think of making one out of fibreglass not long ago, but never got round to it due to sheer laziness :doubt:

edit: i was gonna add a similar type of thing over where the exhaust manifold is, but this took forever; drilling each individual hole, and it bent the bonnet like f*ck! (not that I'm all that bothered about the state of the bonnet anyway - as my car is now kinda the "ratiest ricer" in town lol)
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

i'm surprised there are no rusted front quarter panels which are oh so popular now

if you were after the rattiest ricer title i believe at least one rusted out panel is in order...

and for venting, it would be a hell of a lot easier to pull out the angle grinder and cut vents and then chuck some mesh in behind
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

benzino wrote:i'm surprised there are no rusted front quarter panels which are oh so popular now

if you were after the rattiest ricer title i believe at least one rusted out panel is in order...

and for venting, it would be a hell of a lot easier to pull out the angle grinder and cut vents and then chuck some mesh in behind
I'd rather let it rust naturally, rather than grinding paint down to make it rust.

and I have mesh and an angle grinder with many a cutting disc :D which is what I'd probably use for the vents over the manifold, Like these triangle vents:
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

that mk2 is unbelieveably wide...

because racecar i guess
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

So... I got bored the other day and remembered I had some gold paint laying around...

benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

oh you...
it looks better than the orange though
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I like the car a lot. I liked it before and now.

...I've gotta update my thread soon. I think you'd like what I did with my hood.