New guy from SA

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

So that's 275hp and 239 lb-ft of torque.... nice numbers.... what's your current redline set at?

What kind of boost level did you need to get this kind of power?

I'm glad you dropped by our site, there aren't many 1.6L DOHC turbo motors out there so it's nice to see what people have done.

I'd imagine you must really like the power of this engine.... the TBI 1.6L SOHC was a truely pathetic engine.... we still have them around here in Pontaic Lemans which is the same as a Kadette E / Astra MKII.

As a suggestion.... if your going to be pulling off the head and connecting rod bolts.... you might want to consider removing the piston/connecting rod assembly.

Then I would suggest separating them and having the factory rods de-beamed, polished and shot peen.

de-beaming is the process where you remove the parting mark on the connecting rod.... this is often a place where weak points can occur and rods will break.

Polishing will also help to remove any imperfections in the exterior surface of the rod.

Shot peening will harden the rod's exterior and allow it to take more power.

I don't know how strong the factory 1.6L rods are..... but I'd have to think your allready into dangerous territory for stock components.

I'd be curious how much you can get out of a 1.6L...... they are tough little engines.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Out of curiosity, what is the average going price for a mint SuperBoss 6-spd in SA??

Post by Danny Boy »

360... there are no superbosses that have 6 spd!! The superboss was 5 spd only... U thinking about a Opel Kadett/Astra TS cause those are 2.0 turbo with a 6spd!

A mint one of those which is hard to find goes from R70 000 to R85 000!!

Erfinder@PrecisionBoost

my current rev limiter is the standard limiter of corsa management and that is set at 6800rpm

To make those figures the car runs 1.4 bar boost!
Well look the motor has done over 30 000km's turbo with the setup that its got at the moment, once it gives me shit then i will look at changing things!
2000 Corsa GSi
205kw's and 321nm's at the wheels
In Allen we trust
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

1.4 Bar is 20.58psi of boost....... those are some really good numbers for that level of boost..... I was expecting you to say something more in the range of 1.7 Bar

Wow...... 30,000km on 1.4 Bar..... that's quite an accomplishment..... again.... thanks for sharing info..... this will really help the north american guys with power estimates and reliability information.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I noticed you used the Lanos intake with the VGIS (variable geometry intake system)

Given your Corsa ECU doesn't have the output to switch from the long intake runners to the short intake runners at higher RPM levels....... how did you manage to make the VGIS work?

If you did nothing with the VGIS system and it's inactive.... well.... I may have found a way for you to make another 30 horsepower.

If you disable the VGIS by not giving it a signal....... I can't remember if the intake uses the short runners or long runners.

The long runners are tuned to give more bottom end torque.... then around 4000RPM (I think) it switches over to a short intake runner length to increase power in the high RPM levels.

I don't know what your technical knowledge is..... hopefully you know what I'm talking about.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i have my stage 1 servo kit that i might be willing to sell if you are interested in using the vgis. it uses a window switch to throw the vgis when the rpm is in the "window." takes a flat head screw driver to tune it :lol:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was having coffee with Tom this afternoon..... we think it naturally stays in the position where it uses the long runners when the VGIS is disabled...... but I can't be sure.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

when open, the vgis uses both long and short, resulting in long more or less. when the butterflies shut, it becomes short runner only
Danny Boy

Post by Danny Boy »

Well thanks for the help guys!!
Well the guy that helped me build the motor did something with the manifold and runners cant remember exactly but i think it works still!
Well looks like i will be getting a set of forged pistons into the car and the end of the month and we shall see how things go might get rid of the head spacer!!

Anyway will let u know what happens with the car
2000 Corsa GSi
205kw's and 321nm's at the wheels
In Allen we trust
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok... that makes sense.... all I know is that the Aveo we tested lost about 20% of the top end power when we disabled the short runner switchover.

As well... I think there was a loss of about 5% to 10% in the low end when we forced it to use the short runner the entire time.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos