International shipping information: Please read!

Buy, Sell or trade... individuals to individuals. Please don't Abuse of this forum.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

International shipping information: Please read!

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I thought this should be made a sticky since it is useful information for this section of the forum.

I called UPS corporate at 1-800-782-7892 and asked them about something called a "brokerage fee" when shipping internationally.

As it was explained to me, UPS is a private shipping company, and therefore has to hire a 3rd party company to get the package through US/CA customs.

This customs fee is the responsibility of the purchaser. If prearranged, the purchaser may hire their own third party customs company for the transfer through customs.

This is not mentioned by UPS to the person/company that is shipping the item.

UPS also explained, when I asked, that when shipping via the Post Office, there is no brokerage fee because it is a government owned and run shipping serivice.

If you do not wish to pay this brokerage fee, contact the shipping company and explain this to them. Request they ship via the Post Office.
Even if you pay for faster shipping and additional insurance, many times this cost will be LESS than that of the third party brokerage fee.

The only way that someone may have to pay more when receiving an item is if the true value of the item being shipped is not declared and additional taxes have to be paid.

I hope this information is helpful.

Cliff