1.6 lanos wont start

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

keveff

1.6 lanos wont start

Post by keveff »

hi everyone hope someone may be able to help. bought a 1999 1.6sx 80kmiles yesterday when after 2 hours it just cut out i have no spark at the plugs no fuel at the filter cant hear pump and ive only got battery oil seatbelt and handbrake lights showing on the dash all ideas most welcome cheers kev
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Sounds like an ecu or alternator problem.

Not being funny, is your battery charged ok? Does your engine turn over but not fire?
Could be a dodgy alternator which would explain why it ran for 2 hours then died.
SAZ
---------------------
keveff

lanos

Post by keveff »

battery fully charged cambelt intact somebody in the pub said could be crankshaft sensor anyone know how to test it?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Did you check to see if the headlights are bright when you switch then on ? If you haven't you need to.
And if they are not?
Than either your battery is not up to the job or you have a loose or corroded connection someplace.
So, check and clean all your battery connections (@ battery especially and all other ends..both negative and positive)
Also check all fuses and relays. Remove and clean the blades of each one (one at a time) or if burned out or questionable? replace it.
You can shoot contact cleaner into the slots (be sure it is compatible with plastic and insulated wire's first.)
Use just a little smear of 'dielectric grease' on the blades when you put them back in the slots.

Let us know us how you progress?
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
keveff

Post by keveff »

all fuses and relays checked battery fully charged and lights staying bright someone said there is a fuel cut off switch which i cannot locate anyone know of its location?cheers kev
keveff

Post by keveff »

also changed crank sensor and ecu off running car still no success
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

sounds like it could be the coil pack. The fuel injectors will not fire if there is no spark at the plugs.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

daewooluvr wrote:sounds like it could be the coil pack. The fuel injectors will not fire if there is no spark at the plugs.
Is that just with the Daewoo engines? Didnt know that :idea:
SAZ
---------------------
Spider
Expert

Re: 1.6 lanos wont start

Post by Spider »

keveff wrote:hi everyone hope someone may be able to help. bought a 1999 1.6sx 80kmiles yesterday when after 2 hours it just cut out i have no spark at the plugs no fuel at the filter cant hear pump and ive only got battery oil seatbelt and handbrake lights showing on the dash all ideas most welcome cheers kev
Seems kinda weird that the fuel-pump and the coil-pack would both go powerless at the same time.
Should be able to hear the fuel pump (for a few seconds) when you turn the key to on.

You say the fuses and relays all check out ?
Have you tested the fuse and relay receptacles as well as the actual fuses and relays?
One side of the receptacle will be 'hot' (battery voltage) when the key is switched on.

You need to verify if your getting battery voltage to your fuel-pump and coil-pack. Set you multi-meter to 20 VDC, turn your ignition key on and test those (positive) wires that power the fuel pump and coil-pack.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Pir0 wrote:
daewooluvr wrote:sounds like it could be the coil pack. The fuel injectors will not fire if there is no spark at the plugs.
Is that just with the Daewoo engines? Didnt know that :idea:
:roll:
Don't fuel injectors 'inject' fuel and spark plugs 'spark' or 'fire' ? ;) :lol:
And yes, the injectors do need voltage to inject fuel.
Just like the coil pack needs primary (battery) voltage input to create the (secondary) high-voltage output that subsequently fires the plugs.

With key on and a meter you can test for current at the injector leads. Also test for battery voltage going into coil-pack.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

doesn't a faulty crank position sensor cause fuel and spark outage?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I know fuel injectors inject fuel and spark plugs cause a spark, I mean, Is it only ond aewoo engines where, if it has no spark, it doesnt inject fuel?

I'm pretty sure my engine injects fuel wether it's got a spark or not lol.

You could always do the rubber glove+screw river test for the plug leads. Put the metal end of the screw driver inside the plug, wind the car over and hold it over a bit of metal to see if it arcs.
SAZ
---------------------
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Remove the left side kick panel (near the fuses) and check all the multiplug connections are secure.