bubbling oil...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

modem_over

bubbling oil...

Post by modem_over »

Ok, i just put a new intake on the car. 2000 nubira with a 2.0. i ran the line that comes out of the valve cover... the big black hose to the hole for it on the air intake and rather quickly got smoke in my exhaust. When i loked at the intake it had oil in it. i took the hose off of it immediately and and replaced it with a stand alone air filter. After a 5 minute test drive the filter was covered in oil. and pouring it out onto the top of the valve cover. Im not sure whats causing this. How to fix it. A friend told me to just cover the hole up but im weary of doing that couse to my understanding the hole is there to let the motor breathe.

And on another note i do think i damaged the motor when it happened couse it ran almost out of oil. now when i start it cold, and only on a cold start i get a really bad rattle. top of the motor.... ok... not a rattle a knock. sounds like it is coming from the top front of the motor, near the timing belt area. Once it warms up it becomes a gentle tap.

Could these be related ? How do i tell if its valves, cam gears or what. And what do i do about the oil coming out of the valve cover?

Ps. The hole where the intake is supposed to have that hose hooked up is now running to a bolt that i hose clamped it onto. just to keep it out of the way and to keep it from sucking in trash. im just telling you so the pics don't confuse you.

jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

If that much oil is coming through that hose then you have abnormally high pressure under the cam cover...I'm not sure what would cause that...maybe a vacuum line loose...I know there is one that runs from the underside of the intake on my lanos over to the back of the cam cover...But you should never have enough pressure in the area over the head to make that much oil come through. I'm mentioning Precision and Audacity because they can probably help more with this.

Jimmy
modem_over

Post by modem_over »

there is a hose coming from just under the butterfly to the valve cover. you can see it in the picture its one of the orange hoses. the origingal broke.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

If there is that much oil coming out of the PCV, thats likely not a good sign. Its normal for a small amount of oil to come out of the PCV hose, but not the amounts you are describing. It would not be a good idea to plug the PCV lines coming out of your valve cover either, they are meant to vent excess crankcase pressure. For temporary solution you could get a catchcan to catch the oil coming out of the PCV.

When did it run with almost no oil? Did the noise start happening right after that? Does the sound get louder/worse when you accelerate? Its possible you might have some rod knock or piston slap now....
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

that much pressure is a sign of worn piston rings. i cant be totaly sure but thats the only thing i can think of.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Was thinking the same thing. A friend of mine bought a car a while back which had a lot of work put into it. He was told the shop that built it bored out the block etc, but he found out, the hard way, that although they increased the bore size, they put in the wrong pistons and oil surged up past the pistons through the tinytiny gap
SAZ
---------------------
modem_over

Post by modem_over »

the knock goes away completely now after the car warms up. or any time it is over 2500RPM's
woodae
Super

Post by woodae »

i actually have the same problem, And i have been told that it is blow by,which as somebody said on here its ring failure, Mine doesn't have that much oil just a little bit. so maybe i can catch it. But my question is have you been driving your car. What is your gas mileage because mine is horrible?
2000 lanos 1.5l SOHC
eibach springs
Custom Circa interior
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New post: bubbling oil...
"Ok, i just put a new intake on the car. 2000 nubira with a 2.0........................"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was it doing before you put the new intake on? (and? your talking about AIR intake, right? not the intake MANAFOLD ?)

Excessive crankcase pressure. For some reason oil (instead of oil vapor) is being pushed up into the valve cover, correct?
Maybe excessive oil in the crankcase ? A plugged oil filter ?
What about the crankcase to valve cover tube/hose ?
Have you checked it ?

If you ran your engine for any length of time with little or no oil? may have a rod or crank knock or cooked a valve or a bad valve seat.
Is the exhaust smoking?
If me? I wouldn't just guess whats wrong and continue to driving it. Do a compression test at least. That will tell you a lot about valves and rings.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
modem_over

Post by modem_over »

It was fine before i changed the intake. just pipes and filter not the manifold. It runs beautifully. Good gas mileage and good power. No smoke at all so i don't think its piston rings. But i found a good solution for it. I went and got a 2002 stratus rt. Now the woo is just a toy