Pesky Oil leak and chattering noises...need help

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

I have a 2001 1.6 E-TEC (DOHC) Daewoo Lanos S Hatchback and i am having some problems with oil seeping through the valve cover gasket after 3 times in a dealer shop. Also when i accelerate, downshift or abruptly push in the clutch, some thing chatters metal to metal And i know that it is not the clutch. it could be the heat shield but if it is,what can i do to stop that. It is so annoying. please help.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

as for the oil did the car have a timing belt snap on it before? i only ask b/c you might need to get the head re-surfaced to make it flat again even if you put new gaskets on it, it still wouldn't hold with a warped head. and i have no clue on the clutch deal.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Aneab
Expert

Re: Pesky Oil leak and chattering noises...need help

Post by Aneab »

If you have just the regular gasket, you can add some silicon sealer to that, and it shouldn't leak anymore, thats what i did, it works well.
a woo that is a work in progress
lanowoo
Expert

Re: Pesky Oil leak and chattering noises...need help

Post by lanowoo »

lanowoo wrote:I have a 2001 1.6 E-TEC (DOHC) Daewoo Lanos S Hatchback and i am having some problems with oil seeping through the valve cover gasket after 3 times in a dealer shop. Also when i accelerate, downshift or abruptly push in the clutch, some thing chatters metal to metal And i know that it is not the clutch. it could be the heat shield but if it is,what can i do to stop that. It is so annoying. please help.
well, i have checked it out and the gasket may not be leaking because i used a can of lube spray and lightly coated around where the gasket is and had a friend to lightly press on the gas and i checked for leaks with it. It looks like it is comming from under my timing belt cover, maybe from a cam seal. I have used gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket and made sure it is air tight.
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

could be cam shaft oil seals or head gasket... from which side exactly is the oil leaking??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanowoo
Expert

Pesky Oil leak and chattering noises....

Post by lanowoo »

it is comming from the side with the timming belt, close to the top of the valve cover gasket between the the timming cover's seal. I know it shouldn't be the valve cover gasket bcause i have changed it 4 times :cry: , but it should not leak since there may be a lot of heat, but there would not be a substantial amount of pressure to force the gasket sealer to make it leak. it may be leaking around the camshaft and slinging oil up into the groove next to the valve covergasket and making it look like it is comming from the valve cover gasket. This thing has made such a mess of oil from the other times it has leaked that it has made my a/c belt slip off because of the slight flow of oil. Even when i degrease the engine, it makes real no diffrence, it builds back up in less than two weeks. :evil:
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

Take the top of the timing belt cover off and see if the belt has oil on it. If it does its your camshaft seals...

When I had mine apart I didn't use any gasket sealer at all, I just cleaned all the surfaces real good and torqued everything to spec.

That metal noise might be the heat shield back by the gas tank. I broke mine off when it started making noise, it's a peice of garbage that I doubt did one bit of good.
lanowoo
Expert

pesky oil leak

Post by lanowoo »

well it might be off of the gas tank but it seems it is under the hood. i will check the timming belt and will see if that is what it was, and if it is, i will get it fixed asap.
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

It's on the exhaust pipe so the noise resonates. Just jack the car up and start knocking on the pipe, you will find it.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

ok thanks, i will try it and while i am at it, i will look for leak in camshaft seal. when i get everything checked out i will keep any concerned lanos lovers like myself posted.
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
lanowoo
Expert

Chattering Noises and Pesky leak

Post by lanowoo »

Well guys, it seems i have figured out what i needed to do. Since i am a girl, people think i cannot do nothing on my own.. anyways...I have the answers...Camshaft seals on my woo is worn down enough to have a leak down onto the cam and is throwing it up to the valve cover seal, looking like a bad valv.seal.....and the noise is comming from a bracket that holds the bottom of the exhaust header to the bottom part of the engine. One of the two screws has broken off from the dern speed bumps at the local kroger. i will need to get the dent and the other broken bolts out of it some how but i guess is to find a 7mm drill bit and drill out of the center and stick a screw that goes the opposite way to pull it out and be noise free. thankx guys, your all very nice.
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

very good work... keep it up.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267