Lanos timing adjustment...more power?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tango

Lanos timing adjustment...more power?

Post by tango »

I have been really hunting around and have been finding out a whole heap of shit! I just read about a guy who says if you advance the INTAKE camshaft by ONE TOOTH and retard the EXHAUST camshaft by ONE TOOTH you can liberate about 20 hp !! However he warns that the car will idle poorly. Has anybody tried this? I certainlly would but I have the SOHC engine. If I could liberate 20hp from my engine I probably wouldn't turbocharge it!! Oh well..I guess I'm stuck with it then huh?
Cogito ergo sum...
Efratech
Admin

20 HP?????????

Post by Efratech »

20 HP?? you say!!! :shock:

thats a lot just for adjust the timing :?:

heheheh tango you're not the only one stuck
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
tango

Post by tango »

Wassup Maniac? I was wondering the same thing about the amount of HP but I have heard of timing doing a lot for a ride...but as WE only have the single cam...we may never know. Oh, btw...I had a talk with the gus at the dealers...says the DOHC engine bends valves like a bitch if you break a tiimming belt!! Still planning the head swap?
Cogito ergo sum...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

yeap im planning to do the swap... but having some mayor problem$$$ with other non racing things so the cars is stop for now
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
D4Damager

Post by D4Damager »

Yes us 1.5 guys get screwed big time :(

Wish i could find a cheap 1.6DOHC engine
2002 Daewoo Lanos, Red, 3 Door Hatch
1.5 SOHC
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Well some news here,

tango guess what? i have found a 2.0 8v from a daewoo espero 8) so, im planning to drop the 1.5 dohc 16v swap and use this engine on my car, this engine fits with no problems,

i dont have much info on this engine but is also used on the Opel calibra 2.0 8v and older Opels Astra/Kaddet GTE/Gsi.

not sure about the specs, but on the 2.0 8v Calibra: 116HP 125lb.ft@2800 RPM, not bad huh? these numbers can improve with some headers, port/polish, shaved head, and other things, also bored out throthle body

so maybe my car will be a 2.0 8v, dont know yet
tango

Post by tango »

That's a pretty good idea Maniac. For starters you get more power and more torque. The next thing is that you get the reliability of the 2.0 (I recently discovered that the 1.5 16v WILL bend valves if you lose the timing belt. The 16v 2.0 is also a victim of this...made even more scary by the fact that the belt tensioner is made out of plastic!! This tends to rupture causing slackening of the belt....KABOOM! several valves, and possibly a camshaft to replace!! But this sounds pretty good. Go for it!!
Cogito ergo sum...
exiledlanos

lanos dohc

Post by exiledlanos »

I wanted to say to maniac, Damn nice ride, i have the dohc 1.6L but that seems like a lo of hp from a simple timing adjustment, i would be kinda hesident to try it.
tango

Post by tango »

I don't know how much is a true increase, but just thinking about what earlier intake opening, and later exhaust closing would theoretically mean, it could perhaps liberate some power. As to not trying it...man, that's why Hondas and the like have us beat hands down. People are out there trying stuff (within logical reasoning) and liberating interesting results. We don't do that. Apart from ridiculous body-kits,indiglo lights, and stereo systems that don't do shit, all we do is talk. God bless the few who are doing anything. Guys in places like Australia and Poland (of all places!!) are doing great things with their cars...several engine swaps and at least one swap and turbo, is a reality.
Cogito ergo sum...
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

exiledlanos, r u talking about my signature????

that's not my lanos.... check this link:
Howler Lanos

i dont drive a lanos, i drive a Daewoo Racer '93 4 door:

BTW the 2.0 8v is on the WORKS, i might get the car on Friday/Saturday
dawhat

Post by dawhat »

tango wrote:I don't know how much is a true increase, but just thinking about what earlier intake opening, and later exhaust closing would theoretically mean, it could perhaps liberate some power. As to not trying it...man, that's why Hondas and the like have us beat hands down. People are out there trying stuff (within logical reasoning) and liberating interesting results. We don't do that. Apart from ridiculous body-kits,indiglo lights, and stereo systems that don't do shit, all we do is talk. God bless the few who are doing anything. Guys in places like Australia and Poland (of all places!!) are doing great things with their cars...several engine swaps and at least one swap and turbo, is a reality.
Tango for the most part you are wright..But don't forget they have had there Daewoos much longer then the U.S.
I would love to get my hands on some performance parts or a turbo but it just isn't gonna happen for me..
If it does it will be another year or 2
As it is I put some better plugs and wires, pulled out the fog lite cover ran a 4" tube up to the eng were the air box WAS. Then did the Daewoo grill
also cut the bottom facsha(spelling??) cross bars out and made a mess grill for that. Next looking for a better brake set up(yes I know about DBA).
DAWHAT
DEATHBYNUMBERS
tango

Post by tango »

Well Dawhat...the poles haven't had Daewoos all that long. The Cielo/Nexia came out in 1995, but didn't get to Euro shores until after that. And then production in poland started even later than that. The next thing is the economic situation in Poland is no where near what it is in the US. What the Poles really have going for them is the lack of Hondas!! :lol: Though to be fair...the European experience that can be had becasue of the similarity between Daewoo and Opel engines is an advantage. I think what is stopping us from moving forward is that most US Daewoo owners are afraid of doing something to hurt the car and then can't get parts for them. I too have that fear...Jamaica is very similar. parts are available but not at supermarkets or drug-stores like with Toyota and Honda!!
Cogito ergo sum...
dawhat

Post by dawhat »

you hit the nail on the head for the most part!
DAWHAT
DEATHBYNUMBERS
chris

Post by chris »

I have a daewoo in jersey and am afraid to do too much with it....i have a custom dc sports intake and 3a racing muffler in it..only seems to hlp in top end.....but as for nitrous and turbo im concerned. there is a website where someone details a way to do turbo in it....http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/Daewoo ... 0turbo.htm
tango

Post by tango »

Sure....Chad has PLANS to turbo his car. But even he has the same problem ultimately like everybody else, including myself...no money!! :lol:
Shit...I'm telling ya! It's a good thing "Thou shalt not be POOR!" isn't one of the TEN COMMANDMENTS... :lol:
Cogito ergo sum...