Are alternator bearings replacable??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Are alternator bearings replacable??

Post by MMamdouh »

i have been hunting that irritating sound in my engine for a while now... it sounds like KREEK...KREEK...KREEK...KREEK... while the engine is idling and i can't find what the hell is doing that noise.

i already replaced my A/C belt, alternator belt, timing belt tensioner and re greased the A/C idler pully yet the sound still exists. (total cost of 250LE---> 43USD)

i tried something today, i used a big @$$ screw driver and put one end on the suspected noisy part (engine running) and i put my ear on the other end... i could hear the noisy sound from the alternator.

i made further confirmation by loosining the alternator belt all the way and started the engine... the sound was gone.

now the only thing that can make that sound in the alternator is the bearings so are those replacable or do i have to replace the whole damn thing??

also i wanna know how to remove the altenator out of a 1.5 SOHC engine? i also wanna greas thoise bearings first and test the alternator before i spend more money on parts i don't need so are those things greasable or should i throw them away and get new ones??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BUMP!

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

uh... wouldn't it be cheaper and less effort to just get a new alternator?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Can you go to a junk yard and pick up a used alternator? I am not sure about the return policy at the junk yards where you are, but if they are like the ones here and you still hear the noise, return the it and get your money back.

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... not my country guys, we got a big market for wrecked cars where those cars are purchased by particular people and they strip up the cars themseves and sell you the parts.

some parts are too damn expensive if your car is old and/or rare plus their is no guarantee if the part turned out to be a bad one... you just buy it on your own risk and i don't want to go into that road.

in my case an alternator will be too expensive plus workshops try to fix everything before they give up on them 'cause most people got no money to spend on parts plus repairs are too cheap here compared to any other country.

if the bearings are not replacable i will get me a new alternator but it would be a shame to replace a whole part for a faulty bearing... any one know if they are replacable??

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i never posted my feedback :oops:

the bearings are replacable indeed... they are marked 6202 and 6303 in size and the alternator got some welded wiring that has to be melted before taking it apart... after that its a peice of cake.

if you are ging to do this... get the bearings with rubber protection cover... it lasts longer.

MMamdouh
gianfranco

Re: Are alternator bearings replacable??

Post by gianfranco »

Hi, you can replace the fron and rear bearing in the alternator. The front bearing (normally is this one that wears out) is sealed, and you canot add grease. In other hand the rear one it's opnet type and you can grese it. My recommendation si to replace both.

mmamdouh wrote:i have been hunting that irritating sound in my engine for a while now... it sounds like KREEK...KREEK...KREEK...KREEK... while the engine is idling and i can't find what the hell is doing that noise.

i already replaced my A/C belt, alternator belt, timing belt tensioner and re greased the A/C idler pully yet the sound still exists. (total cost of 250LE---> 43USD)

i tried something today, i used a big @$$ screw driver and put one end on the suspected noisy part (engine running) and i put my ear on the other end... i could hear the noisy sound from the alternator.

i made further confirmation by loosining the alternator belt all the way and started the engine... the sound was gone.

now the only thing that can make that sound in the alternator is the bearings so are those replacable or do i have to replace the whole damn thing??

also i wanna know how to remove the altenator out of a 1.5 SOHC engine? i also wanna greas thoise bearings first and test the alternator before i spend more money on parts i don't need so are those things greasable or should i throw them away and get new ones??

MMamdouh
Gianfranco
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... thanks for the advice man but i already replaced both bearings.

the bad one was the rear - small - one and regreasing them depend on the type of seal they got... if it is a rubber seal then yuo can simply take it off and add greas, i got both new bearings with rubber seals to have the "adding greas" option.

MMamdouh
Daniel
Expert

Re:

Post by Daniel »

MMamdouh wrote:i never posted my feedback :oops:

the bearings are replacable indeed... they are marked 6202 and 6303 in size and the alternator got some welded wiring that has to be melted before taking it apart... after that its a peice of cake.

if you are ging to do this... get the bearings with rubber protection cover... it lasts longer.

MMamdouh
Guys, what a bump :lol:
FYI my noisy alternator has one small 6000 2RS at rear and one large 6203 2RS at front (pulley side).
Only the front one was changed. Even doable on "non serviceable" front plate ;)