Post by Daewoo dude »

:shock: The motor e-tec of my lanos is equal to the ecotec from cavalier :?:
Daewoo Dude
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

is it, im not sure?
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)
tango

Post by tango »

Do you mean the technology? First E-TEC stands for EFFECTIVE AND ECOLOGICAL TECHNOLOGY (just found that out a while ago and is actually a variable intake geometry system...similar to Toyota's TEVIS (of a few years ago) and the system Audi used on the 100. Basically it changes between two different sets of intake runners. One shorter (for fuel efficiency) the other longer (for more torque). Still not sure what ECOTEC is exactly...seems more like a mixture of different technologies rolled into one. The ECOTEC is an all new engine (designed by Opel, GM USA, and even Isuzu) The E-Tec engines were designed by Opel. I'm staying on it thoug...I'll try to find out more later.
Cogito ergo sum...
tango

Post by tango »

Okay finally found some info on the ECOTEC. I haven't found out what it stands for exactly, though you can bet ECOLOGICAL is in there somewhere. Anyway, I was right. ECOTEC isn't ONE system...it's several systems making up the total package. Firstly, it's a modular engine (like those VW is making now). It's all aluminium (block has cast-iron cylinder liners), and makes use of sequential fuel injection. Hydraulic lash adjusted twin chain-driven camshafts operate roller valve lifters. Coil-on-plug ignition, internal water pump, chain-driven twin counter-rotating balance shafts, composite intake runners, and 8 balance weights on the crankshaft all help to make the system. The accesories are all bolted directly to the engine, to reduce vibration (they say). A whole host of technology here. Only problem is that I just think GM could have made a lot more power from this engine wiht all that!! Though it is a stroker in 2.2L form (86mm bore 94.6mm stroke) so you know it has strong torque. 151lb-ft. I think it's a case of under-engineering. Leave a little extra for later. Fuel economy and emissions are also strong points, so I guess they slacked on the power to get the Governent out the way.
If you wanna dig into it for yourself, here's the link. Have fun.

ECOTEC link
Cogito ergo sum...
D4Damager

Post by D4Damager »

Wow reading that you would think it would be a bad ass engine :roll:
2002 Daewoo Lanos, Red, 3 Door Hatch
1.5 SOHC