Engine Swap

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

Engine Swap

Post by SuperDuperDaewoo »

What would have to be done to drop a Honda Vtec Engine into my 2002 Daewoo Lanos? Please do not critisize this is just a question.
If you don't have a Woo, You don't have a clue!
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

A Honda engine in a Woo?
I'll hold my comments on that...
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I wont!

what are you thinking!!! If you're going to do any out of family swap do a DSM swap, hell even nissan is better.

A honduh engine is ghetto rice shit.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

Fine, what would have to be done to drop an engine from a Nissan Sentra SE-R into my 2002 Daewoo Lanos?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

All depends on where the motor mounts of that engine line up. Also if the engine is much heavier you will need to beef up the suspension as well.

With what I want to do I also have to get some custom frame supports done.

There is no easy bolt on solution (except the rumor of the 88 sunbird GT motor) so much of the work is going to be custom fabrication.

mocpac

Post by mocpac »

in order to change any motor from a car to another one, you need to verify that the points of engine fall equal, check if you can use the same trasmicion, is space that occupies is equivalent. If the motor is not enough resemblance in these you will be spending much money in the sawp. And yes you can change the engine and put a VTEC engine. Shame on you for ask. But is your car do what ever do you want. But just because is an Honda no mean is the faster. I rave w\ many Hondas and they lose agaist my nubira :twisted:
ImageImage
SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

It has nothing to do with being faster, this is a future plan after I need a need engine entirely.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Why you want to change your engine?
ImageImage
SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

I had a talk with the service guy down at the former Daewoo dealership. He was telling me a list of things that is continually going wrong with our engines. We are not talking 100-200 dollars to fix for the problems he spoke of, we are talking 1000-2000 dollars. So the reason for the engine swap is if I can find an engine with alot of credibility with low miles for the same price, I would like to go that way. But I change my mind everyday on this particular subject.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

SuperDuperDaewoo wrote:I had a talk with the service guy down at the former Daewoo dealership. He was telling me a list of things that is continually going wrong with our engines. We are not talking 100-200 dollars to fix for the problems he spoke of, we are talking 1000-2000 dollars. So the reason for the engine swap is if I can find an engine with alot of credibility with low miles for the same price, I would like to go that way. But I change my mind everyday on this particular subject.
apparently he must have been talking about having a timing belt snap. Guess what? this happens on any DOHC engine. This is why you should keep up with maintance and you don't have to worry about that. The only other problem has been the cam shaft positioning sensor and crankshaft positioning sensor. I also have a problem with O2 sensors..grrr
Also make sure that your dealership has done all the safety recall repairs.

However if you decide to keep the 1.6L you can certainly build that up to be a 250-300hp monster. Keep in mind that with enough time and money, you can do anything.

SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

The Service Manager also told me about like 7 or 8 engine had a small hole blow out on or some shit, all as I know is I want this to be a car I keep forever cause it is fun to drive, comfortable to sit in, and funny as hell when my stock engine spanks civics with minor mods.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Well man what ever you want. I'm sure I want to keep my nubira for a good long time. I like it very much. But I will make mods to my daewoo engine no change it.
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Sunbird engine swap is a 2.0L Turbo (165hp, 175lb ft STOCK) and has the same bore/stroke as a Nissan SR20DET.

My 1.5L Lanos has the same front engine mount but my engine does not have a rear engine mount (which the 2.0L does)

Supposedly the 2.0L turbo bolts up to both the manual Getrag tranny found in the Lanos and the Nubria. (I guess we will see)

From what I gather the 2.0L Turbo was made at the same Holden plant as the Nubria 2.0L but the turbo comes with forged internals and an ECM designed for boost. The turbo is a T25 but can be exchanged for a larger T28 (grand prix GTP) inside of a few minutes (direct bolt on). The newer Nubria engine has the same bottom end but it has a 16V head instead of the old 8V head in the 2.0L turbo (I'd like to see if I can adapt the 16V head onto the 2.0L turbo during the rebuild process)

Maximum boost can be brought up to 14 PSI, as the ECM doesn't like anything over that amount. If you want to go over 14PSI I'm told you need a piggy back unit or a stand alone fuel management system.

Guys have run 14PSI without an intercooler and not had problems but it is somewhat risky. (does not have a stock intercooler )

The engine can be brought into the 180WHP to 200WHP with stock internals but if your going to pick one up from an auto wrecker you might as well go with aftermarket forged parts and set it up for serious power.

I'm still not too sure what has to be done to get the engine in the car but I'm going to try my hardest to make it fit. My plan is to make this a late fall / winter project and have the entire thing set up by next spring.
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

well a while back when i had the daewoo i wanted to drop a mitsubishi eclipse engine in it, but people said cant be done because the eclipse engine is facing the wrong way(cams on other side) well the evo engines are the same as my eclipse engine, but the 4-8 engines are fliped around, so whouldent that mean that you could fit one in your car, oh and look what i found also: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33615 that would probley cost as much as a honda one then eh, anyways ok bye
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I have also thought about putting the 4g63 engine in my woo. It CAN be done however I needs a lot of custom fabrication. If I don't go with this swap I am going to build up the 1.6L woo engine up. My project starts in the end of Nov/beginning of December (depending on how busy my shop is) and I hope to have it all tuned and ready to go by April/May. In fact I have to take the woo in to get measurements of the engine bay next week.