2002 Lanos speed governor?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

2002 Lanos speed governor?

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

My 2002 Lanos, 100% stock engine and automatic transmission, seems to be limited to 107MPH.

Is there a reason it won't go any faster?

I know it is a 1.6L 4 cylinder, but my 1994 1.5L Hyundai Excel 5 speed with less horsepower will do 125MPH without hesitation.

Does the Lanos have a speed limiter on it? Or is the automatic transmission the reason for the limit?
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Well as I know, in UUEE and PR the cars computer are limited to a max pspeed the computer will determinate it. To get to the max speed of the car must change the ecu or get a chip for it.
ImageImage
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I have a spare ECU from a whole parts car I bought on ebay.
Would it be best to reprogram that one, swap it and see how it does?

Also, where would I find information to reprogram it?
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Probably it will better. Who to doit I don't really know. I was thinking for my nubira, buy a euro ECU if I'm not wrong there they don't have limits in there ecu's.
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Too bad it's an automatic.

If you had a manual tranny you could split the signal off the speed sensor going back into the PCM and only let every second pulse enter.

Basicly this halfs your actual speed so 100mph actual shows up as 50mph.

You can switch in the electronics so that at a designated speed it "hacks" the PCM signal and gives it false readings.

So for example... from 0 to 100mph the speedo reads normal and then at 101mph it switches over to half mode and shows 50.5mph.

This way the PCM never hits the speed limiter

I know this can be done on a manual but I belive that the PCM uses the speed of the car for shift points in an automatic.

So sorry I can't help.... the circuit would cost like $10 -$15 but is only usefull in a manual tranny setup.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Ok, we will try to put a nubira ecu in a lanos, I will tell you at the end of the project if works or not.
ImageImage
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I'm not so sure about this one. I think it's a setting in the ECU that can be disabled with the scanning tool.
When I first bought my car (and after plenty of break in time) I was able to achieve a top speed of 125mph. However I have since had maintanence done to my car and I cannot seem to top 105mph. That is right around where I shift into 4th (AT) but it just sits there and doesn't pull at all like it used to.

any thoughts?
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

I was talking w\ some friends and they told me they can reach 135mph w\o any problem w\ they lanos. Here in PR is not aesy get to that speed w\o find a curve in front, so if I go to inside the island in the next days I will try to get to 140mhp in the hi way. And then I can tell you for sure if the ecu limits the caror not.
Last edited by mocpac on Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

On my Lanos SX .. i got to 193km/h down a hill :) .. the trick is to max out 4th gear and enter 5th on a slight grade in the road.. if you can get into
"e-tec" in 5th.. it will go to about 5200rpm and hold before the ecu cuts it back.. i.e prevents further acceleration.

On a flat surface.. max rpm in 5th is roughly 4600@175/176km/h.. in 4th at 5900 [rev limiter kicks in a 6k on mine] im doing about 185km/h.. but the 1.6 sucks gas like a v8 at those engine/land speeds. :?

Bernard
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Ok man, solution try this, first make any easy mods to your lanos, put an intake, header, hi flow catalitic remove resonator (or put a hi flow resonator [cherrybomb]), and a hi flow exhaust. You will get no les than 20hp (I think) then find a Nubira tottle and change the lanos trottle. And then buy a APEX ECU, and check your new HP in the dino, I belive you will make 14s in the ? of mile. :twisted:
ImageImage
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

mocpac_ser wrote: find a Nubira tottle and change the lanos trottle.
A Nubi Throttle body will fit the Lanos? front looking at pics I can't tell if they'd fit or not.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

he he he I can give you a pic w\ the tottle already in the lanos, and the time that my friend will make in the speed way. I dont give just and idea is already done.

Now if any one know a trottle who fit my nubira, let me know.
ImageImage