2.2L compared to 2.0L

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

2.2L compared to 2.0L

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well I'm about to take off the Cylinder head tonight but I thought I'd let you guys know that the 2.2L and 2.0L blocks are indeed slightly different.

The 2.2L block is 1cm taller than the 2.0L block but they are almost exactly identical otherwise.

The electronics,sensors, intake, exhaust, cylinder head are all the same.

The only noticeable difference is that the oil dipstick is in a slightly different location and the oil pan is a nice big cast aluminum one instead of the stamped steel one on the 2.0L

Hopefully I will have the crankshaft and pistons out by next week and we will see if the crankshafts are interchangeable.

If they are it might be possible to stroke a 2.0L to a 2.2L by changing out the crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods.

I have lots of pictures but I keep forgetting my camera at work... hopefully I will remember to bring it back tonight after the cylinder head removal.
woo
Expert

Re: 2.2L compared to 2.0L

Post by woo »

wouldnt puting the 2.2 crank and stuff into a 2.0 increase the compression ratio?? if comp was too high you could put on a fatter head gasket i guess
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

This could mean that a 2.0 enging with 2.2 internals could be installed in a Lanos so you were upgrading to a 2.2.

Why are people choosing the 2.0 and not the 2.2 to upgrade in the Lanos if the engine is almost exactly the same size?

Cliff
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

To use the 2.2 crank in the 2.0 you would need either a shorter rod or custom pistons with a lower compression height. No big deal really with custom pistons available from $300-$500 bucks.
Some things to consider with the 2.2 crank in comparison to the 2.0. Firstly it'll be a bit weaker in bending than the 2.0 as there is less overlap between the big ends and the mains journels (that is if GM haven't beefed up the 2.2 crank to suit). Secondly, the bigger you go with the stroke, the more the crank will suffer from the effects of harmonics. A good quality harmonic dampener may be required if your putting some serious power through it.

I have a 2.0 engine block here (called ecotec here but same as daewoo 2.0). The things I noticed about the block in comparison to the older 8v and the XE blocks was that the newer one had thinner, more scalloped walls where the cylinders are. There is more ribbing around the core plug areas and also at the bottom of the block where the crank is. It has a rudamentry main cap girdle (only ties into the top of the main caps and not the main cap bolts themselves). The deck is more open than the older blocks too and I feel it may not be as stable, as far as cylinder sealing is concerned, when running high cylinder pressures ie. lots of boost or nitrous. Though so far, over here, there hasn't been any problems when they've been turbo'd (most so far is around 300-350hp).
The cylinder heads benifit alot from porting as they don't flow as well as the older XE head, so there are good gains to be had there. Larger valves are available should they be needed.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

Hello everyone..

Im just curious, the 2.2 that came in the leganza here in NAmerica, would it have any relation to the NOW offered 2.2 Ecotec found in the GM j and n bodies? i was wondering if it [the one found in the leganza] was a detuned version of what GM is offering now in there products.

I was also curious as to why GM detuned the 2.0 found in whats called the "optra" in Canada and Forenza under suzuki, but i gather they didnt want the daewoo to steal sales from their cavalier and sunfire models :)

thanks for posting about the differences.. very interesting!
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

the 2.2 ecotec is different ... close but different.. there is threads about it. do a search

the detuned 2.0 is do to emisions, also search, im sure there is something on it

someone else will explain more

sorry for the short post but my thumb is in pain cause i have been 10 hours with out my drugs
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The new Optra 2.0L has less power because it is a U20SED which means that it complies with ULEV emissions.

The more powerfull Nubira 2.0L was a T20SED so it only had to comply with TLEV emissions.

ULEV is way harder to meet compared to TLEV

Therefore a power reduction was needed by GM.

I'm sure it would be easy to reprogram the ECU but it would no longer meet current ULEV emissions standards.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh.... by the way you can stop calling these Daewoo engines... our Daewoo cars run on OPEL Power !!!

This Leganza 2.2L is none other than the European 2.2L ECOTEC.
( not to be confused with the american 2.2L Ecotec which has almost nothing in common with these engines )

I have yet to find anything but GM part numbers on my 2.2L

As well we have found quite a bit of German language on various parts.

And here is the final bit of proof.... this part say OPEL right on it which proves that these engines are not a Korean "knock off" of the OPEL engines...they are the real thing.

Oh ya.... I love the "made in Canada" part of it :D

Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

Erfinder wrote:Oh.... by the way you can stop calling these Daewoo engines... our Daewoo cars run on OPEL Power !!!

This Leganza 2.2L is none other than the European 2.2L ECOTEC.
( not to be confused with the american 2.2L Ecotec which has almost nothing in common with these engines )

I have yet to find anything but GM part numbers on my 2.2L

As well we have found quite a bit of German language on various parts.

And here is the final bit of proof.... this part say OPEL right on it which proves that these engines are not a Korean "knock off" of the OPEL engines...they are the real thing.

Oh ya.... I love the "made in Canada" part of it :D

Did you find the same results with the 2.0?
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

that is the same tensioner in the 2.0l nubi engine. i have had that sitting around in my room for a while(when i bought a new engine into my woo). my mechanic saved the part for me just in case.
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: 2.2L compared to 2.0L

Post by daewooluvr »

Erfinder wrote: The only noticeable difference is that the oil dipstick is in a slightly different location and the oil pan is a nice big cast aluminum one instead of the stamped steel one on the 2.0L
Also see if the oil pans will be interchangable.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes... it looks like the Sunbird and Nubira and Leganza oilpans are interchangeable... we checked the Sunbird pan about a half hour ago.

Here is the 2.2L lower block support that attaches with 15 bolts.

It attaches all the crank and main bearing caps... I don't know if the 2.0L is the same but it's certainly an improvement over the C20GET (which didn't have one)

Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a picture of the 2.2L crank journal
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

is the block iron? i heard that with an iron block you dont need to worry much about sleeving. honda's aluminum block can handle 14 psi before kaboom, so the daewoo's block should be able to handle more before it goes kaboom. :twisted:
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

debo890 wrote:is the block iron? i heard that with an iron block you dont need to worry much about sleeving. honda's aluminum block can handle 14 psi before kaboom, so the daewoo's block should be able to handle more before it goes kaboom. :twisted:
Hehehe there's a couple of Honda blocks around here (of course forged pistos/rods) that handle 22 psi like nothing :wink:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph