Saturn Astra 1.8 in my Sport Lanos

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

Saturn Astra 1.8 in my Sport Lanos

Post by Davinci_360 »

While my GSE Lemans project is on hold, I've been considering a modest upgrade for my Sport Lanos. I originally was thinking about grabbing a 2.0 L Forenza/Reno engine, and seeing about building up the top end, and raising the redline just a bit. That's one option ...

Then I noticed that a Saturn Astra engine was available at a scrapyard for a lot less money, and it got me thinking ... Considering that it's currently being used in the Chevy Sonic & Cruze, it may have distinct advantages - I could keep the engine stock, and have plenty of easily available parts for maintenance. Not to mention the possibility of using the M32 with it's various gear ratios.

Compared to the 2.0 L swap it wouldn't be much different, would it?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Saturn Astra 1.8 in my Sport Lanos

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If I remember correctly the 1.8L engine is a totally different family of engine, so it may not line up with mounts or gearbox.

For some reason I'm thinking the intake and exhaust are flipped around, but I could be wrong, it's been quite a while since I looked at the Astra 1.8 engine.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Davinci_360

Re: Saturn Astra 1.8 in my Sport Lanos

Post by Davinci_360 »

Looks like it's the same - I'd post a pic, but I can't make it work on my iPad. The intake is in the back by the firewall, and exhuast toward the front - It appears to have a mount in the timing belt side just like the Aveo/Reno/Forenza. Next time I'm at the scrapyard I'll investigate a bit more if i can find one ...