What would be a smarter choice? (engine swap vs rebuild)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tearshade

What would be a smarter choice? (engine swap vs rebuild)

Post by tearshade »

I had purchased a 2001 Daewoo Lanos hatch 1.6l automatic from someone off craigslist for 560 dollars. The engine is incomplete because of a broken timing belt. Smashed the valves and tore up the cylinder head. At the time I didn't know that the timing belt had broke, he said he just undid it. Until after I purchased it and the next week got most of the cylinder head. The pistons don't look bad and it still rotates when I push it in neutral, so i'm pretty sure that it can still run. I have already purchased a gasket kit, timing belt kit, and serpentine belt for it. The only part that is missing now is a cylinder head.

But here is my predicament. I found someone else selling a 2.2l engine from a 2000 leganza for 100 USD, and it still runs. That is just the engine though, he hasn't said the price for the ECU yet.

What would be a better option for me? Swap a 2.2l into it, or finish building the 1.6l?
Daniel
Expert

Re: What would be a smarter choice? (engine swap vs rebuild)

Post by Daniel »

If you need to add a unknown price for the TCM, plus hassle to swap/adapt ECU harness, engine fixations, and not knowing if the actual auto gearbox is suited for the 2.2 engine, I would prefer to buy a reman 1.6 cylinder head.
Ex: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAEWOO-LANOS-1- ... 0913249844 .

That's only my opinion.
7-even

Post by 7-even »

the big problem with a used motor is you never know what your getting. the word "running" could mean a lot of different things. it runs but its old, it runs but theres a loud knock coming from the motor, it runs but leaks an awful lot of oil ect.... so your options are really, your motors already apart and you can see or know whats wrong with it or you can take a gamble on getting someone elses problems and need to do motor work anyway. plus you need everything that goes along with the motor swap plus a little know how. its a mater of time and money. i think people have dropped in the u20sed which is basically the same as the 2.2 so its possible.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

also the 2.0 is not a direct swap.. their will be engine mount modification required for this engine to fit in a lanos and you will have to use an electric power steering pump

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267