Suzuki Forenza- Hydraulic Tappets- U20SED little help please

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nathan

Suzuki Forenza- Hydraulic Tappets- U20SED little help please

Post by Nathan »

Hi all in All,
First post here, I've read around and this seems like the place to be if one needs some good fab work or even to increase knowledge about performance tuning daewoo's and whatnot.
Awesome.

Anyway My question/issue though, is about hydraulic tappets for the 2L. 16V. DOHC U20SED Engine. (aka lifters)

I was able to track down a couple of service manuals for the 1.6-1.8 chevorlet and korean versions of the Forenza, but I can't find anything about the 2.0L N/A version. The reasons that I am searching these manuals is because I am trying to find the part numbers for the lifters on this motor. I'm having some problems with ticking, and I have a couple of suspect tappets.

I've searched everywhere for lifters by themselves, and I've come up with nothing. I have a friend that owns a scrapyard, and he has friends all over the U.S. that he grabs parts off of and even he can't get a part number, or even the parts! I also work for a parts distributor part time, and I can't find anything in ANY catalogs.

So my question is this: Did GM ONLY fabricate enough lifters for the amount of motors that Daewoo produced? Because it's obvious to me that this isn't an aftermarket part. (the only thing that is aftermarket that may work are universal cams w/ lifter sets, and that's specifically performance parts)

Has anyone tried to find lifters for this car? Successfully?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan.

Oh btw, Yes I've tried to call Suzuki, and I've been waiting for a callback for sometime now.
Daniel
Expert

Re: Suzuki Forenza- Hydraulic Tappets- U20SED little help pl

Post by Daniel »

I've maybe found something in the Leganza parts manual where a 2.0DOHC is used. I don't know the exact engine denomination but tappet reference is 90502514. Always double check for compatibility.
http://www.niparts.com/OEM/768AE2/VAUXH ... 02514.html .
Ask Google for "daewoo leganza parts manual".

BTW is the ticking sound not coming from injectors?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thank you SO much. I've found that rockauto.com carries the part on two different platforms, and I did it by running a cross ref. on those part numbers.

AUTO 7 Part # 6170016 Leganza/Nubira {OEM #90502514} (Way cheaper then the Cadillac version below)
ACDELCO Part # HL127 Cadillac CTS {OEM #24419109}

And yea I'm sure it's not the f. injectors. I'm only getting a tick during sustained throttle @ a long period/ distance (highway driving over 20mi.) And then it'll stop once I'm at a light or the pressure in the top-head rebuilds.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thinking about it has made me curious so I must ask, what would make you think that the fuel injectors could be sticking?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Nathan wrote:Thinking about it has made me curious so I must ask, what would make you think that the fuel injectors could be sticking?
I haven't wrote they could be sticking but ticking. ;)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I see. I must have mis-typed that lol..

Still though.. I wasn't aware that injectors could tick..?

If you would be so kind, would you mind elaborating on that?

From my current knowledge of this system, I have 4 injectors that fit into a "fuel rail" that is just above the intake manifold.
Since the rail is pretty secure, I'm at a loss trying to imagine injectors ticking..? Is that a common thing with some of the older motors like the T20-C20?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Basically our fuel injectors are small electromechanical valves. They make noise when actuated by electrical pulses from ecu.
Put a stethoscope on the injector and listen.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ok now I see. Rather interesting as well, since I just switched my course load to electro-mechanical engineering from pure electrical...

This noise is far too loud to be something emitted from an electrical pulse. A local mechanic whom is also the only person I allow to do work on my car other than myself has attributed it to lifter tick. The lifters have just come to the states today, and I'm in for a replacement of the intake side (all 8 ) on thursday. My only issue is nothing was taken apart or even looked at to reach this diagnosis.

But it's under warranty so we'll see.

Thanks again for the info.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Nathan wrote:Ok now I see. Rather interesting as well, since I just switched my course load to electro-mechanical engineering from pure electrical...

This noise is far too loud to be something emitted from an electrical pulse.
Not electrical pulse... they are a solenoid valve so it's electro-magnetic. the ticking comes from the movement of the magnetic actuators and it can be quite loud
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~