Nubira Engine Swap 1.6

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sully

Nubira Engine Swap 1.6

Post by sully »

G'day all, I have a bit of interest in swapping out the 1997 nubira automatic 1.6 ltr A16DMS engine for a motor from later model, I'm in australia and from what I have been reading I could possibly use a one from a Barina or Astra, my concerns are is it a straight swap ie will it bolt straight up to my transmission, will the ECU have to be replaced with the one from the later motor and what sensor would need to be replaced, the reason I have to replace the motor is a blown head gasket and with 268000 klm's on the clock I think rings and bearings would need replacing as well as the head recondition, so thinking it would be a lot cheaper to just get low klm motor from wreckers.

Thanks Sully
sully

Re: Nubira Engine Swap 1.6

Post by sully »

just to add I've done a couple of compression test both dry test

Cold (1)200 psi (2)195 psi (3)170 psi (4)210 psi

Hot (1)180 psi (2)170 psi (3)170 psi (4)170 psi

In the cold test a assume there was coolant in the bores, this would explain the higher random numbers, the hot comp test is acceptable without the need to re ring the motor, also had a miss fire on number 1 when checked with the timing light, not sure if doing a wet test is worth the trouble as I'm positive it's a head gasket, exhaust fumes in the radiator over flow bottle and lost about a litre of coolant also have a milky residue under the oil filler cap and the oil is starting to look a bit like chocolate milk .

I priced a new head gasket set $178 head bolt kit $35 still need to find out what it will cost to have the head pressure tested and warp tested.
Thanks Sully
turbo1600

Re: Nubira Engine Swap 1.6

Post by turbo1600 »

hi, do a comp test doesnt matter if hot or cold.
then put a capful of oil approx 25 ml.
take another comp test.
if it shoots up in comp a fair bit , its the rings that are worn.
if it goes up a bit it be the valves.