Holden Viva/ lacetti ticking sound coming below intake manif

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

el_bichito

Holden Viva/ lacetti ticking sound coming below intake manif

Post by el_bichito »

Hello i was told that the sound is coming from below the intake below, halfway down the engine , that opens up to let air in when the car is revved. this seems to be making a ticking sound that comes through the firewall, as this butterfly opens and closes, can anybody tell me if this part can be bought or what it is called, thanks. or part number. also is this a common problem. is this an easy fix to fix or replace this part. Regards Brian
Attachments
cp5367758525237401059.jpg
(173.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cp5044177966562337075.jpg
(158.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cp4755597823410042346.jpg
(166.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by el_bichito on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NubiraTurbo

Re: Holden Viva/ lacetti ticking sound coming below intake m

Post by NubiraTurbo »

Hi Brian. Hmm, it sounds to me that you are talking about the throttle body. When exactly does that sound occur. (while driving constant speed, accelerating/decelerating , on shut down/on start-up?) Also, does your throttle body have drive-by-wire or is it opened by a cable?
Nubira 2.0 Turbo
Lanos 1.5
Alfa 156 2.0 TS
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Focus 2.0 TDCi
el_bichito

Post by el_bichito »

Hi, no , The sound is coming from halfway down the engine, from intake manifold actuator or solenoid, this is one part which is connected to butterfly inside manifold. half way down engine, i was told sound could go with modifications to computer possibly or maybe there is damage to this butterfly that opens up, but apparently its part of manifold the butterfly part, cost over a thousand dollars from daewoo, for complete manifold. but the intake manifold actuator can be changed, still not sure what part being changed will get rid of sound.
NubiraTurbo

Post by NubiraTurbo »

Ok I see. So it sound like it's coming from the intake manifold. I think that engine differs a bit from the older ones that I know. Does it have variable length intake manifold? If it has, it could be the guide vanes inside. Under what condition exactly does the rattle occur?
Nubira 2.0 Turbo
Lanos 1.5
Alfa 156 2.0 TS
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Focus 2.0 TDCi
el_bichito

Post by el_bichito »

only occurs wq=hen accelerating, when it starts to open up.
NubiraTurbo

Post by NubiraTurbo »

Check if it has the cable that opens the throttle. If it doesn't then it's drive-by-wire. Check if there's a round actuator type thing on your intake manifold. It should have a vacuum pipe and maybe a electrical wire connected to it. If it's there, its a variable length intake manifold. I would start by disconnecting it, and test drive to see the effect.
Nubira 2.0 Turbo
Lanos 1.5
Alfa 156 2.0 TS
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Focus 2.0 TDCi
el_bichito

Post by el_bichito »

Ok so yeah, third time lucky, my mechanic finally got it right, with the advice he gave me. He did the other 2 repairs but could never find the sound. I did this one myself.it was the butterfly in the manifold,(not the throttle body) or else the intake manifold actuator, that attaches to it just bought a second hand intake manifold and ticking sound is gone. Now , Didnt affect the car at all but was annoying. the ticking sound
NubiraTurbo

Post by NubiraTurbo »

Nice, glad you came right. Sounds like your car has variable length intake.
Nubira 2.0 Turbo
Lanos 1.5
Alfa 156 2.0 TS
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Focus 2.0 TDCi
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Little off topic but..

That is one clean ass engine bay dude, and I'm actually shocked at how updated it looks in there w/ that cover..

It's definitely a Forenza Wagon for sure, but if I showed you what mine looked like I can bet you'd be just as shocked as I am lol.
Wishing I had a Holden..