how hard to access thermostat on 1.5ltr lanos engine?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kiwilanoso1

how hard to access thermostat on 1.5ltr lanos engine?

Post by kiwilanoso1 »

Does anyone know how hard it is to access /replace thermostat on 1.5ltr lanos engine.What's involved?I seem to be getting a coolant leak from that area or could be coming from
the water pump .It's been about 60,000 kms since I last had my cambelt and water pump changed-should I just go ahead and get a new cambelt+new cambelt tensioner+new water
pump+new thermostat+gaskit anyway replace all these in one hit seeing these engine components are all in the same area of the engine?my gut instict tells me I should get it all
done in one go rather than try and replace thermostat on it's own.What do you guys recommend?Car has now done 215,000 kms and not using any engine oil which is good.I am in
New Zealand.regards kiwilanoso1.
Daniel
Expert

Re: how hard to access thermostat on 1.5ltr lanos engine?

Post by Daniel »

Do all (timing kit, tstat, water pump) in one hit as tstat is just behind the rear tbelt cover.
broken

Post by broken »

oh man, I just been thru it all, you wouldnt believe what you have to do just to change the thermostat...You have to take off the valve cover, the camshaft, and the timing belt as well as timing belt back upper and lower covers, as Daniel mentioned and I ended up doing to my car ... you might as well change waterpump timing belt and tensioner.. to be honest it isnt hard at all , just a bit time consuming.
kiwilanoso1

Post by kiwilanoso1 »

thanks guys just what I thought.Just today I saved heaps by shopping around for those components-just awaiting new thermostat to come from supercheap auto
on monday will then go about getting the job done, thanks guys I'll keep you informed when I've got the job done.