Bent valves, all of them... 1999 Nubira CDX 2.0L

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MightyMothra

Bent valves, all of them... 1999 Nubira CDX 2.0L

Post by MightyMothra »

Ok, last I posted I simply needed to replace a water pump. That turned into removing and replacing the timing belt. I wasn't able to do this myself for lack of space to work on the car and I had it out on the street, so had it towed to a relative's home (he is a fleet line mechanic for a living) however he has never worked on a Daewoo. Long story short he really effed up the timing and he just messaged me the head had to be pulled and sent for machining. I believe from what I've read this is an issue for these engines if there's an improper timing belt installation?

What are the odds when it comes back (IF it can be fixed) that it will be possible for him to re-install the head and time it correctly? I was initially glad to have his help now it's really dicey. His native language is Spanish, he did not seem to pay attention or understand the directions in the manual for timing I printed out for him so he was winging it is my best guess...

Does anyone here know if there's Spanish version of the timing belt/timing process that I can give him? I am trying to recoup my losses at this point, I only got to drive this car a couple of days before the water pump went out and there were no engine noises/knocks or anything :smt010 ...all it needed was a water pump. Sigh.
Daniel
Expert

Re: Bent valves, all of them... 1999 Nubira CDX 2.0L

Post by Daniel »

:(

What is the cause of bent valves? Did he forgot to turn the crankshaft by hand two full revolutions before attempting to start? This is required to know that nothing is blocking.

Ask for a quotation before working on head as there are some other alternatives http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nk ... mtr&_rdc=3 .

There is a spanish section in our forum. Maybe he could ask there?
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 .
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I use the Gates complete kit and they always come with multi language instructions. I'll see if I can find my spanish copy but the pump or timing belt he's using should have had it.
rrob311

Post by rrob311 »

I have been replacing timing belts since I was 18 years old and have never made a mistake. It is essentially lining up a few silly little gears and following instructions. The language is not important because a picture speaks 1000 words with timing belts. It basically shows the marks. I hope you aren't paying for this to be done. Very easy timing belt on these. 4 hours tops in the driveway if you struggle and 1-2 hrs for a professional.
broken

Post by broken »

Believe me, if I can do it anyone can! and if hes a mechanic he should certanly know.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Wow that sucks... I found the timing belt system/tensioner to be a little strange on these motors, but eventually got it right in my garage. And as Daniel mentioned, he should have turned the motor over by hand several times to verify everything.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
NubiraDellwoo

Post by NubiraDellwoo »

I'm no mechanic...
but setting the timing on a motor
is not much different then any other.
at least procedural wise.

yer mechanic pal obviously didn't align the crank
and cams properly before firing the motor.

as someone stated above...
it's just good practice to turn the motor
over by hand first... recheck the timing marks
and before firing that up.

btw... I had to replace 5 valves due to a broken belt. (low rpm failure)
4 intake, 1 exhaust (if I remember correctly)
but it didn't fubar the valve seats... so was only simple press work.
I paid a shop to press those in.

As long as your motor wasn't rev'd too high...
it's likely the valves would only have minor bends
and probably didn't fubar the valve seats.
But if it was way out of sync. possibly.
But what gives your mechanic friend the belief
the the whole head is fubar and needing to be rebuilt ?
was it overheated at the time as well ?

Guess I just have some concern that this
mechanic doesn't really know what he's doing.
So that makes me wonder if he knows whether
a head requires rebuilding or not !?

^ or are we just taking about pressing in new valves ?

Replacement valves aren't cheap btw :(
'01 Nubira SE 2.0