Scan Tool

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

broken

Scan Tool

Post by broken »

Does anyone know whats the kind of scan tool I need for 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.5 Litre. I will pos a pic of my connection. Just a cheapo will suffice. thanks.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/1001865x.jpg/
Daniel
Expert

Re: Scan Tool

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

The low cost OBD2/EOBD code readers won't work on your ALDL connector. (But don't forget the simple "paper clip" method to read stored engine error code by the flashing MIL)

For limited access to ECU and sensors values you need a ALDL cable interface + hard to find compatable software for your car + personal computer.

For full access to ECU, immobiliser, airbags, ABS,... you need the expensive workshop tool like Tech1, Tech2, Scan100, Met5000,...
broken

Post by broken »

Daniel would you mind having a look at this cable on a ebay link. Would this cable be ok? it comes with software but I already have software that should work, I think?.... thankyou

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111018956789
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I would believe this cable & software should communicate with your ECU but...will they use the same language (definitions) to ask the correct questions and interpret the responses?
The very best person to answer this question is the seller.

He states
Definitions may be created for many other applications with more to come! I'm currently aware of users experimenting with Volkswagen, Ducati, Subaru, and more.
So I'm not 100% sure that Daewoo's specific definitions are already available. Just ask him for your make, model, year, engine size,...

It is the "definitions" , part of software (CD) and specific to each ECU that makes the interface cable able to work well or a little or not.

IMHO this kind of cable is only a voltage adaptator between ECU serial port and PC serial port (USB or RS232) without any "intelligence".
http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl8192/8192hw.htm
http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1u

The most critical part is the software able to communicate with your ECU. Just like two ppl speaking the same language.

:oops:
Sorry to be so dark but so many ppl have tried without full success several softwares that you must be aware that your cable may work or not like you wish.

More info? Just Google "aldl cable".

Anyway if you have success with this cable pls tell us.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

get a similar cable for an ALDL socket like the one you found on ebay
install "EFI live" application on your laptop

connect the laptop to your ALDL port using the cable and start the application

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
7-even

Post by 7-even »

I don't really know much about efi live. Can you tune with that program. Think it'll work with the suzuki reno? It had the delphi mr140 ecu. Haven't found anything other than a chip flasher for it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

that is not a tuning application... you can only see the data feed going into and out of the ecu

i am not sure if it is compatible with the reno... gotta check with the application vendor

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

while we are on the topic of scanners.......is there anyway, other than going to a dealer that doesn't exist, of getting the airbag light checked or re-set? Is there a possibility it will work (the airbag) even if that light is on? There are no longer Daewoo dealer in the states. I doube even the Chevy dealers would want to look at it.
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Ah ok. Well my search continues lol. I'll be using a stand alone for the time being. I bet a Suzuki dealer would reset a daewoo ecu code. If you find a mechanic with daewoo compatable or specific software they can turn it off
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

The garage I go to works on everythign and they said they couldnt' do it. i trust these guys. there is no way i am going toa Chevy dealer to get gouged, and then have it come back on. i suspect there is a wiring issue rather than the air bag but there is no way I am going to try and work on that. there would be a good chance I would have an air bag blow up in my face. if that happened there is no way I could get a replacement
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

If air bag light is ON the system is non operative and air bags will not work.

Two kinds of errors:
Those "Restable" by scan tool after repair like for poor connexions.
Those non restable (crash recorded) by scantool. Need to replace module after repair...but... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRR9Ytd7So
7-even

Post by 7-even »

I did a quick search on the net and one thing that keeps coming up is loose connections under the passenger seat or a line that's bent to much under the passenger seat. You might want to check under there make sure everything's ok.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

if there is a bad connection under the pax seat and you fix it, will the light go out on its own? how would the shop troubleshoot that?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Puddle31 wrote:if there is a bad connection under the pax seat and you fix it, will the light go out on its own? how would the shop troubleshoot that?
From what I've read this a case of "resetable" error.

In normal aperation (no error stored) the air bag light flashes 7 times then goes OFF as a self test. Air bag system is OK.
If a error is stored (and problem is fixed) the air bag light will stay ON several seconds then goes OFF. Air bag system is OK and will work as expected but a reminder that a error code is still in memory.

That's how it works on my Nubira MY2000.

Hope it helps,
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Well you could check and make sure the connections are tight. A few people on the suzuki forum had some luck using dielectric grease on the connections under the seat. You could check that yourself. The one other thing suggested was checking in the steering column. I would NOT suggest doing this yourself as you could set off the airbag. I forget have you tried a chevy or GM dealer yet?