Time for the dreaded TB change

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

broken

Time for the dreaded TB change

Post by broken »

Time arrived for the dreaded Timing Belt change, it was last done 4 years ago when I bought the car. I had it done by my Local mechanic. This time I thought i'd try and do the job my-self, even though the Lanos has only done abour 30,000 klm since the last change I did not want to risk the time factor (4 years) also I needed to change the thermostat gasket. I took my time and did it all my-self. I did Timing belt,water pump, auto tensioner, thermostat + gasket+ valve cover gasket. Just to do the thermostat I had to take off the timing belt+ tensioner+ waterpump+ valve cover+ cam shaft gear+ timin belt front
covers,Top and bottom and the back cover as well, all this just for the thermostat. Anyways one of the advantages of doing it your-self is you can clean all the covers and clean around where the pump and tesnsioner go. Ive never seen a mechanic clean any of this and to be honest I dont think a lot of mechanics tension the belt by turning the water pump. I think there to scared to loosen the pump thinking it will leak. Anyways I got great satisfaction from doing all of the changeover my-self.
Puddle31
Super

Re: Time for the dreaded TB change

Post by Puddle31 »

what car? I have changed my thermostat easily without having to take anything else apart. I have a Lanos.
broken

Re: Time for the dreaded TB change

Post by broken »

Its a 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.5 Litre, I couldnt believe I had to go to all that work just to change a thermostat, that why I waited to do it when it was time to change the Timing Belt. "You have to use a new valve cover gasket as well, unless you can still use the old one" You have to take the camshaft gear off as well as the back timing belt cover to get the room to take the thermostat cover off. You can get to the thermostat bolts without taking anything off, 1 bolt will come out but the other bolt wont! it will loosen but thats it...

PS: actually I posted the question here about 18 months ago asking about replacing the thermostat and was totually blown out by the answer.