Fuel Gauge

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jd daewoo

Fuel Gauge

Post by jd daewoo »

I have a Daewoo Lanos (2000) 1.6L that the fuel gauge will never go above half a tank even when full. The low fuel light will come on correctly also (assuming these are separate circuits is why one works and the other does not). I have replace the sending unit (entire unit) twice and have cleaned the float contacts several times with no change. Any ideas as to what and how to fix this problem? Is the dash cluster gauge malfunctioning or has the pin slipped on it? Not exactly sure how this particular gauge works.

Thanks.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Daniel
Expert

Re: Fuel Gauge

Post by Daniel »

Have you got the improved fuel sender unit?
http://demo.ovh.com/fr/e4693b9cbfbc3a52 ... e405325f0/
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

i have the same car. My guage works but I have NEVER had the fuel light come on. I have run that thign until I think there can not possibly be any more gas in it, and the needle is all the way down, but the light has never come on. On the flip side, when I fill it, and pull out it takes quite a while for it to go all the way up to full. I have left a gas station already thinking they didn't give me the gas i paid for because the gauge is so slow. I guess if yours never goes above half that is not the problem though. I would just use the trip odometer to tell me when to get gas, but that's me and I couldn't afford to get it fixed right! I usually go about 300-325miles per tank without really pushing it. I have gone 340 or so and put in over 9 gal. i forget how much that tank really holds, but like i said i never got the low gas light and figure i should get another 30 miles or so if that goes on.
jd daewoo

Post by jd daewoo »

To Daniel:
Yes, I have the "improved" unit. No change from old unit to new unit. Good thought though.

To Puddle:
Yeah that appears to be of a different problem. Just to comment though, I believe the tank capacity is around 10.7 gals (40.5 L). I have gotten 364 miles on a tank and was still running, but that was all I was doing lol (another mile more and I'd probably still be walking). If I remember correctly, the fuel light should come on when 1.5 gals (5.8 L) remain in the tank. That appears to be correct as well (at least for me). Its possible the light bulb is malfunctioning or blown as you describe that it has never illuminated. By the way, my gauge on my 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L works correctly and it takes a good 5 mins for it to rise to the correct position after fueling. May just be how the module works on the sending unit or the pcm. Anyways, maybe the said information can add insight to your problem as well, else it may be useless information.
JD Daewoo
B.S. Civil Engineer
1999 Daewoo Lanos SX
1.6L 16V DOHC
88,xxx Miles

1999 Daewoo Lanos Base
1.6L 16V DOHC
94,xxx Miles
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

thanks jd. I'm not worried about my fuel guage really, more of just a curiosity. I just kept trying to see if i could get the light to come on and never did. A few times i had a gas can with me, just in case i was wrong! I know about how many miles i can get on a tank so i just use the trip odometer. i guess mine is not the only one that takes forever to show that it's full though. thanks for that.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

take off the fuel pump and clean up the connection board with a standard issue electronic board cleaner... this should fix the problem

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267